Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
allthingshunting

RE: Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

Postby allthingshunting » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:08 pm

where do we draw the line that a shot is too far?  Shadow mentioned 950 yards was too far, but said he would take archery shots at 20-30 yards.  I know plenty of people who believe 30 yards is way too far to shoot a bow at a deer.  They like to keep it at under 20 yards.

I hunt in PA where i have never taken a shot longer than 150 yards with my rifle.  But i commonly practice out to 300+ yards and have no problem making that shot.  I have been out west and killed a coyote at 386 yards and an antelope at 375  yards.  Both were one shot kills, neither animal suffered. 

I also have passed up shots at 100 yards or less because i didn't have a good hold, not enough time, etc.

Basically, know your gear and ability before you hit the woods.  If you have any hesitation, chances are you shouldn't be taking the shot  If you are confident, chances are you are within the correct range and will be successful.

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:14 pm

A shot in the vitals whether it's  950 yards or 20 yards is still a kill shot.As long as hunters stay within their ability. It's still a hunt in my book.
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:19 pm

Where's the hunting skill other than the far shot? If everyone hunted like that, the sport would be a joke. I'd have 10 booners on my wall,all my friends would have 10 booners on thier walls. Soon we would all be hunting doe's,if we even wanted to hunt anymore. The seasons would be alot shorter because too many deer would get harvested.  Hunting deer would only last a couple years until the herd is reduced to the size it was in the 50's. If the hunt comes down to 950 yard shots, I'll hang up my gear for good.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:01 am

First of all people seem to forget we kill animals, not harvest them..Everybody that hunts these days seem to think we have to be politically correct and not talk about what we do as hunters, we always try to bring our own ethics into hunting, and think "our" way of hunting is the only way it should be....I live in Washington state and had to watch as thousands of "hunters" banned hound hunting, cause it wasn't "sporting" enough they are idiots in my book, why on gods green earth would any hunter want to ban a certain way of hunting...We as humans are exspected to use any advantage as we can to kill our prey, Scentlock, scopes, rifles, etc...If you are practiced and can make long shots by all means do it, anyone who doesnt practice shooting much can wound animals at 10 feet let alone 1000 yards...I guess what I am saying is stick together regardless of what you consider "ethics"...Man I ramble allot... 
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:41 am

i agree with you gutpile

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:28 am

Shots like this at a 10 inch bull are made at 1000yd.shoots all the time.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:25 pm

Nobody is telling you that you cant take animals at long distances. All we're saying is... call it what it is... and it aint hunting... more like target practice minus the target. When I want to test my marksmanship abilities, I go to the range and shoot at paper. I don't call that hunting, though.

shadow

Postby shadow » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:44 pm

I agree, shots like this and longer are made every day, but normally at long range shoots or for practice (snipers).

I am sorry, 2 men, one calling out the numbers....distance, wind speed and direction elevation etc,, to the other in order to make a shot at an animal 1/2 mile or more away that to me is not hunting.

Like I indicated before, I am not against different forms of hunting. You want to use dogs on deer? Have a deer drive? Bait them? Stalk them? Ambush from a stand or blind,  Run after them in the woods and wear out the deer like a family from Vermont, (see.. http://www.benoitsbigbucks.com/default.htm),  Use a crossbow, Shoot them in an enclosure...whatever.  If its legal where you are and you want to participate go ahead! Thats hunting.
But please don't call a "snipers shot" taking two men to pull it off hunting. It is not.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:29 pm

Half the hunt is finding your prey..Taking the shot is next...Anybody can bring their own ethics into any hunting situation...Seems now a days people tend to classify their way of hunting as the proper ethics of hunting, when ethics can b diffrent in any person...I myself think there aint one person who hunts that trys as hard as possible to not take their intended quarry..Even the so called elitist that think only their way of hunting is the right way,  and harder than anybody else use every advantage they can to kill the animal they persue...All I am saying is practice makes perfect and I have no gripe about someone shooting to their capabilities, if you can make it do it...Dont critisize any legal means of taking game...

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:30 pm

when you and a buddy are hunting does he ever tell you the yardage to a deer with a laser range finder, and if not do you find that wrong....

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions