Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Tim4Trout

RE: Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

Postby Tim4Trout » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:41 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Not hypocritical in the least. You`re spewing the uncle ted rhetoric again-you know, hunt the way YOU like, mind your own business, and leave everyone else alone. Problem with that line of thinking is, there ARE absolute right and wrong, and we only leave our ranks open to justified attack and scrutiny when we don`t police ourselves.

It`s a ridiculous argument to say we must suffer anything and everything to appear unified against the anti`s. It`s also absurd to attempt to portray the distancing of ourselves from shams, such as, "hunting" enclosures with abbetting them.

I`ve said many times before, and I`ll keep spouting it-legal doesn`t make ethical. And my ethics are not going to be held hostage to a form of political correctness, in an effort to shame me into accepting hunting practices that aren`t consistent with Fair Chase ethics.

Sorry man-no buyers here.

First of all, my words are my own, not those of Ted Nugent or anyone else.

----------

Second. It appears to me that in using the term "sham" to describe "high fence" indicates that you have formed an opinion on such facilities.

May I ask if you have ever hunted such a facility ?, or are you simply accepting how  ever the hsus portrays it as, as being factual ?

----------

In the so called process of "policing ourselves" we need to weed out those whose actions reflect negatively upon us. Such an effort is best achieved however not by banning the specific hunting related tactic, but rather by dealing with those who employ the tactic in such a way that it is their actions and not the tactic itself which reflects negatively upon us.

In recent years baseball has had some issues with performance enhancing substances. In dealing with such they have focused on those specific individuals who violated the trust of the fans. We didn't ban baseball because of a few who "cheated".

Perhaps we should look at hunting in a similar way. Deal with the slob who litters the woods with empty corn bags or other "food" containers instead of banning baiting. Deal with the person who places a tame and/or drugged deer in a 30 by 50 ft. pen for some yahoo to shoot instead of banning all high fence facilities.

If one looks they may discover that most of the negative rhetoric as it pertains to tactics which we argue over is usually based upon the negative actions of a few, which anti hunting factions capitalize on in an attempt to publicly present such tactics to the public in a negative perspective.

And remember that buffoons, jerks, slobs, and others whose actions reflect negatively on us as a whole are not limited to those tactics which we argue over. Right now there are bowhunters whose actions reflect negatively upon every hunter who pursues game with stick and string and I'm not talking about bowhunters using bait, dogs, or hunting within the confines of a fence.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:45 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: gutpile
Why didn't you say bazoka, to, or I know land mines we can place all around the food plot, or maybe we can snare em, then run em over with our trucks..pretty stupid response huh? now read what you wrote just as dumb...

Gee Gutpile, thanks for that eloquent response. We sure are lucky to have blood brothers like you out there defending hunting for the rest of us.

But at the risk of being called stupid, I'd like to try to make my point once again. You appear to be suggesting that as hunters we should never openly question the hunting pratices of other hunters as unethical, so as not to encourage anti-hunters. My point is if we take that approach, then ther is no stopping the downward spiral. It is my strongly held opinion that we MUST police ourselves through ongoing diaogue.

Another example: The states that I hunt do not have no laws about shot placement. So what if a group of hunters decided that they wanted to begin gut shooting deer in order to make tracking more of a challenge? No laws on the books against it. Would you support them? Would you dare come out against them? Do those who disagree with dogging, enclosures or ultra-long range shooting have less right that you?

I read other post buy you guys like stick up for all gun owners, then I read where one of ya says baiting is wrong then tells another what he does with his food plot, and feeder..Do you remember the clinton gun ban, I do I bet you were against that. Well you should look at hunting the same, you may not like it you may not do it but why give the anti's any juice...read mhouck06's post he said everything that needs said... mhouck06 you are very wise...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

Tim4Trout

Postby Tim4Trout » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:57 pm

ORIGINAL: mhouck06
the anti's seem to be taking steps towards banning hunting anyway they can.. at least as i see it. so they may pick on dogging or something like that, they are just trying to take away small chunks of OUR big picture.. Dogging obviously is not practiced as much as lets say rifle hunting. The way I view their ideas is, lets pick on something small and work our way up. Lets not let them do that. Instead of abandoning each other, embrace the way someone hunts... thats what it is all about... hunting.. They are all embracing ways of stopping hunting. Again, someone in here is prbly going to disagree with what I say, and thats the shame of it. If we are all hunters we should be fighting for something more than each other and what we view as ethical hunting techniques.

[size="7"]BINGO !!! [/size]
---------------------------

Here is a statement from the current version of the hsus' website.

The HSUS's hunting campaign promotes the humane treatment of wildlife by educating the public and lawmakers on the cruelty inherent in sport hunting, by targeting the most reprehensible practices.

If we eliminate, baiting, hounding, high fence, and whatever else may happen to be on the hsus' list of what they refer to as "the most reprehensible practices" , then what is next on the list? The hsus views ALL HUNTING as reprehensible. I for one am not going to sit on my butt and wait for the day when for example either legislators or voters are deciding whether or not to ban climbing tree stands because the hsus portrays their use as reprehensible and violating fair chase. 

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:03 pm

Don't forget Ted using his m60 to turn deer into swiss cheese. I eat what I kill I don't let it lay and go to waste because I wounded it at 900 yards and couldnt find a blood trail on a bad hit.  I'll bet 8 out of 10 times that sharp shooter couldn't make that shot count, that adds up to alot of wounded game. I don't let my dogs run deer until they curl up in a ravine somewhere to die. I don't throw little doe's into ditches because I don't want to take the time to butcher them. I dont intentionaly shoot them in the gut,and leave them lay, to thin the herd. The list goes on and on...I see alot of hunters that need to appreaciate the fact these deer are giving thier lives to you. The least you can do is give them the respect they deserve and honor them with a ethical hunt. I track gut shot deer for miles if I have to so I can get a kill shot if they are wounded. Not because I want to,but because it's ethical to retrive the game I killed.   If your not into that you don't need to hunt them, because you don't deserve to take lives you don't respect. Not all hunters need to be in the woods,just like not all methods of deer hunting are ethical. I've killed atleast one deer a year for 20 years and never once had to hunt a penned ,or baited deer. Don't waste our time preaching about ethics when you don't have any ethics to begin with.                                                 P.S. The veiws,and money of the HSUS means as much to me as peta, and the rest of the anti's. They mean NOTHING TO ME... I'm more worried about the billions of people that don't hunt,and don't care about it one way or the other. Seems to me that most of the non hunting public see ethical deer hunting as a way to feed the needy,and reduce the deer herd. Did you know your "hunting buddy" DR that declared donated meat poisinous is a "anti" on the side too.  Your brain washed,and as wack as TED NUGENT.  Only a moron thinks a 1 to 10 acre food plot is a 2 foot "bait pile" of corn and salt, when thier is browse,mast crops,and ag crops in the surrounding hunting area.   BRAIN WASHING poltical hunting propaganda...you just cant understand it can you...the hippies didnt get all hunting banned in the 60's,and these small timer anti hunting groups arent going to get it done now or in the future. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:27 pm

Deer and Bear: Regular Seasons - 1) Manually operated centerfire
rifles, handguns and shotguns with all lead bullet or ball, or bullet
designed to expand on impact; 2) muzzleloading long guns of any
type, 44 caliber or larger, or a muzzleloading handgun 50 caliber or
larger; and 3) long, recurve, compound bows or crossbows with
broadheads of cutting edge design. The use of buckshot is not
legal, except in the Southeast Special Regulations Area.

Hope you don't hunt deer with an semi auto shotgun, cause in PA it is unethical and illegal.

Reporting Big Game:
Each hunter who harvests a deer or turkey must within 10
days (5 days for gobblers or deer taken by mentored youth
hunters or other persons required to make a homemade
tag)
report it to the Game Commission at Harrisburg, using
a report card supplied with hunting license, a photocopy, or
if lost, the cutout form to the right.

Don't forget to send in your report card right away either, that would be unethical. If you live in a State with check stations for deer I guess PA hunters are Unethical because they are not required to confess their kills to the Game Commision, PGC takes us at our word when we buy a license that we will report the required data by mail and sees no need to glare over our shoulder regarding deer kills.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:33 pm

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

Don't forget Ted using his m60 to turn deer into swiss cheese. I eat what I kill I don't let it lay and go to waste because I wounded it at 900 yards and couldnt find a blood trail on a bad hit.  I'll bet 9 out of 10 times that sharp shooter couldn't make that shot count. I don't let my dogs run deer until they curl up in a ravine somewhere to die. I don't throw little doe's into ditches because I don't want to take the time to butcher them. I dont intentionaly shoot them in the gut,and leave them lay, to thin the herd. The list goes on and on...I see alot of hunters that need to appreaciate the fact these deer are giving thier lives to you. The least you can do is give them the respect they deserve and honor them with a ethical hunt. I track gut shot deer for miles if I have to so I can get a kill shot if they are wounded.  If your not into that you don't need to hunt them, because you don't deserve to take lives you don't respect. Not all hunters need to be in the woods,just like not all methods of deer hunting are ethical. I've killed atleast one deer a year for 20 years and never once had to hunt a penned deer. Don't waste our time preaching about ethic when you don't have any.                                                 P.S. Only a moron thinks a 1 to 10 acre food plot is a 2 foot "bait pile", when thier is browse,mast crops,and ag crops in the surrounding area.  

wow just wow.........
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:12 pm

Are Semi-automatic shot guns, the same guns used by duck hunters to blast 10 ducks out of the sky every fly in? That's probley why they arent allowed in deer season...go figure.[8|] You need Buckshot? Give me a break. How do you manage wildgame if millions of hunters don't report their harvests? Thats like telling everyone to go  out and kill fifty deer, and report one. We used to have to check in our deer in IL the night of the kill,at the check station in the county. Now we have to call it in...at the exspense of our deer herd's sex ratios,and management. That's if hunters even turn in thier kill. Where is the ethic's in that? 

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:13 pm

Where are the ethics in following the rules established by your State game agencies? I submit that obeying the laws set out for your pursuit is the Ultimate standard of ethical behavior. Your analogies of shooting 10 ducks out of the sky shows how little you care to understand the sport of hunting and the ethics involved beyond the pursuit of the White-tailed deer. First of all, If you had read the regulation posted Buck shot is not legal in PA, except in heavily urban areas near Philly or Pittsburgh, it must be a bullet, a single projectile and ALL Semi Automatic firearms are illegal for the taking of deer or bear in PA, I simply used Shotgun as a reference . Secondly, assuming that duck hunters are all killing more than their legal limit or that the majority of hunters fail to report their kill as required is not only erroneous it is the epitomy of arrogance and contempt regarding your fellow hunters. You sir view other hunters as "Bubba's" who slaughter animals on mass scale and with utter disregard for the laws of their State or those set out by the USFWS(Regarding Ducks). Unless someone hunts by your rules and what you perceive as right, regardless of their local laws or requirements, they are not "true hunters".

It is quite apparent that the only form of hunting you care about is deer hunting, that is fine and your chosen pursuit, you are an asset to deer hunters since you have proven you will go to the matt. But, when you are willing to disregard and disparage other hunters who pursue different game or use different legal methods and specify bans on ALL hunting will never happen shows your lack of knowledge regarding the plight of hunters of other species or methods. Ignoring or disparaging these other groups who pursue their chosen legal methods or species of hunting will mean that deer hunting is the only thing left.

I hope you do not use lead ammunition, because that is being attacked as we speak despite there never being a case of lead poisoning from consuming venison,ever. How do you think an announcement of hunter killed venision being a health hazzard due to lead contamination will go over with the general public? Especially when prgrams like Hunters for the Hungry will no longer be providing much needed meat to food pantries around the nation.  Since you live in IL, ammo serialization is being pushed hard, that means you will have to buy new ammunition that has matching serial numbers because possession of unserialized ammo will be a crime, this of course won't happen till the ammo manufactures retool and buy proprietary technology to the tune of 10's of millions of dollars and pay a royalty to the patent holder for every single round manufactured(You think ammo is expensive now?). Think it can't happen? look at the ammo requirements for waterfowl hunting, no lead at all period.

You advocate letting hunters cull suburban deer populations instead of sharpshooters being hired to do it, because there are millions of hunters who would do it in a heartbeat. I agree, BUT not all areas are blessed with an abundance of hunters to plead their case to and the suburbanites who want a solution but oppose hunting are much louder in most areas than the avid hunters. It is amazing the opposition you run into when the prospect of shutting down a public area for a few days  or strangers being in an area with kids running around and someone mentions bringing in a tool that involves weapons or that their kids might see blood and "Bambi" dying.

In my neck of the woods, a 10 acre food plot would be considered unethical because it is an artificially created source of food that draws deer from more natural or less prefered food sources to an area better suited for a man to kill a big deer,although it is not illegal due to a clause that exempts management tool. Hunting on Sundays is also illegal and unethical despite the changing economic conditions that often leave a person with Sunday as the only day they can spend hunting. Thankfully QDM and others have changed the important minds on Food Plots and their management benefits, but the majority of hunters in my area will not under any circumstances hunt over a food plot, regardless of size. Sunday hunting is still a battle, because these important minds cling to antiquated "Blue Laws". Our State park has not had much interest in hunting on the park despite the fact that some of the biggest bucks in the area are there. Oddly enough, hunting the park could be considered a canned hunt because it is nearly an island with only one way in and out and the deer are so used to humans. The park is 3200 acres and the deer aint going anywhere unless they swim or walk 7 to 10 miles. Hardly a fair chase environment by the definitions of fair chase and canned hunts but hunting is a much needed management tool and esential to the overall health of the park.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:58 am

Don't take what I say out of context, you extremist. Your the one that posted the stuff about the game laws in the first place.  You came to this forum to badger posters here about hunting dogs and deer not being ethical. I follow the law 100% ,and have ethics unlike extremists.  Your the one posting about buck shot not being legal in the first place, why else would you post it? Buckshot is just like your 900 yard shots...a pathtic wanna be hunters attempt to hunt deer, and shouldn't be allowed any where including most importantly URBAN AREA's. I hunt all kinds of small game,predators,and know for a fact duck hunters shoot like that all the time,because i grew up on the mississipi fly way.,so give me a break, your not kidding anyone here. If you didnt mean shot guns being simi auto,you shouldnt have stated shot guns in the first place! Automatic rifles, really arent needed, but I have no beef with people owning them as long as thier not for hunting deer.  I see hunters lie about thier harvest more than you lie about the facts of your personal anti-anti agenda's. Didn't I already say that most hunters have ethics,and thats why you don't have 10 million hunters backing you up? You don't even have 5 hunters backing you up on this forum, Get off your high horse! That's a joke ban all hunting, where did you come up with that some fairy tale some where? Back to the dogs again I see...your right your not a hunter the dogs are the hunters. Funny you mentioned lead ammo..cause your "hunting brother" Dr whoever is a hunter and a anti all wrapped up in one. How are you going to join forces with the enemy and ever live with yourself?  The facts are no one has proven a dam thing about lead in deer meat,and its a sham, made to get a blow hard like you all riled up! Your cutting your own throat again,by furthing the moronic notion. Lead and waterfowel? I never once brang up that in my post...again fabricating lies about my points to further your agenda like a political bully. Maybe just maybe instead of cryn about reform you should buy copper ammo,and who cares if bullets aren't lead anyway. Now your on urban deer rant, let me put it this way ,MO hasn't had any problem declaring ferrel hogs as vermin, why can't doe deer be called the same. Open bow season on doe deer to everyone in the country would knock that population down in a hurry. If the public outcry doesnt want it then whoopie ..let them keep thier yard deer! On too foodplots..wake up a food plot of 10 acres is a ag green field get over it. Harvestd or not it's ag and thats why it isnt illegal. Like you can't harvest deer over a mast or ag crop ethicaly? What a meaning less rant your on here, it wouldn't happen on the QDMA website. Gee, you can still hunt on sunday in IL ,and most likely all other states as well. When did fair chase ethics apply to urban deer control? Besides you said the deer have 7-10 miles in the park...plenty of room for lots of hunters in my opinion. Wisconsin bow hunters harvested 400,000 does last year with thier bows,if that isn't population control I don't know what is? Try to answer some questions instead of avoiding the issues,and turning the discussion into a pharse... your rants are pathtic, get a clue.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:59 am

ORIGINAL: Tim4Trout

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Not hypocritical in the least. You`re spewing the uncle ted rhetoric again-you know, hunt the way YOU like, mind your own business, and leave everyone else alone. Problem with that line of thinking is, there ARE absolute right and wrong, and we only leave our ranks open to justified attack and scrutiny when we don`t police ourselves.

It`s a ridiculous argument to say we must suffer anything and everything to appear unified against the anti`s. It`s also absurd to attempt to portray the distancing of ourselves from shams, such as, "hunting" enclosures with abbetting them.

I`ve said many times before, and I`ll keep spouting it-legal doesn`t make ethical. And my ethics are not going to be held hostage to a form of political correctness, in an effort to shame me into accepting hunting practices that aren`t consistent with Fair Chase ethics.

Sorry man-no buyers here.

First of all, my words are my own, not those of Ted Nugent or anyone else.

----------

Second. It appears to me that in using the term "sham" to describe "high fence" indicates that you have formed an opinion on such facilities.

May I ask if you have ever hunted such a facility ?, or are you simply accepting how  ever the hsus portrays it as, as being factual ?

----------

In the so called process of "policing ourselves" we need to weed out those whose actions reflect negatively upon us. Such an effort is best achieved however not by banning the specific hunting related tactic, but rather by dealing with those who employ the tactic in such a way that it is their actions and not the tactic itself which reflects negatively upon us.

In recent years baseball has had some issues with performance enhancing substances. In dealing with such they have focused on those specific individuals who violated the trust of the fans. We didn't ban baseball because of a few who "cheated".

Perhaps we should look at hunting in a similar way. Deal with the slob who litters the woods with empty corn bags or other "food" containers instead of banning baiting. Deal with the person who places a tame and/or drugged deer in a 30 by 50 ft. pen for some yahoo to shoot instead of banning all high fence facilities.

If one looks they may discover that most of the negative rhetoric as it pertains to tactics which we argue over is usually based upon the negative actions of a few, which anti hunting factions capitalize on in an attempt to publicly present such tactics to the public in a negative perspective.

And remember that buffoons, jerks, slobs, and others whose actions reflect negatively on us as a whole are not limited to those tactics which we argue over. Right now there are bowhunters whose actions reflect negatively upon every hunter who pursues game with stick and string and I'm not talking about bowhunters using bait, dogs, or hunting within the confines of a fence.

I`ve never read or heard a word the Humane Society has had to say about killing deer inside an enclosure. I dislike killing inside a play-pen because I believe in fiar chase ethics. And before we begin the silly dialogue on exactly what fair chase means, it`s simply the fact that the animals aren`t constrained in any way. Their movement is free and natural.

I don`t care whether the play-pen is 10 or 10,000 acres, the fence still constrains the natural movement of deer, and it`s not fair chase. 

I don`t make my judgements based on what anyone else says or thinks, and if it just so happens that my beliefs on any given subject align with the anti`s, oh well.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions