Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
EatDeer

RE: Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

Postby EatDeer » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:23 am

Hunting with dogs is the same deal, legal or not.  I could see hunting dog's for ferrel hog's, or yotes, but a deer..common give me a break here. The dog is doing all the work ,its dog's running and killing deer, its not "hunting" any more than a 1,000 yard shot. Try it with a bow and arrow at 35 yards sometime with 15 doe's standing in one area looking all directions. This un-ethical mindset is why the B&C ,and P&Y clubs where formed in the first place. If I have to throw fair chase out the window to hunt, I'd quit hunting all togather. Sure we need to stick togather as hunters, but hunting methods need to be ethical, in the public's view. Your just fueling the fire for groups like peta when your saying this stuff on a public forum.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:17 pm

yes, but my hunting buddies also don't go around with wind/bullet drop compensation charts, nor do I need to tweak my scopes elevation knobs or screws after I find the yardage he may give me, normally a scope is set up for 100-200 yard shots at a your shooting range and no in the field adjustments are nessesary.
I still feel that was not hunting.

Does anyone that lives in deer country open the back door of their house when deer are in their yard 50 feet away or so and fill their tags?  Probably not its to easy.  Its exacatly the same thing with these snipers, they had glassed up an unsuspecting animal 1/2 mile away in the animals enviorment, oblivious to the danger ONE HALF MILE AWAY....and sure, the men are trained.  Easy shot.. Yeah what a great hunt.

Get close to the game your after.

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:20 pm

Oh, and if they wanted to glass up the same animal(s) at that range, and then attempt to get closer to them for a shot where 2 men are not needed to verify what to do in order to take the shot and shoot the animal, like lets say bow range, now that would be hunting.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:32 pm

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

Hunting with dogs is the same deal, legal or not.  I could see hunting dog's for ferrel hog's, or yotes, but a deer..common give me a break here. The dog is doing all the work ,its dog's running and killing deer, its not "hunting" any more than a 1,000 yard shot. Try it with a bow and arrow at 35 yards sometime with 15 doe's standing in one area looking all directions. This un-ethical mindset is why the B&C ,and P&Y clubs where formed in the first place. If I have to throw fair chase out the window to hunt, I'd quit hunting all togather. Sure we need to stick togather as hunters, but hunting methods need to be ethical, in the public's view. Your just fueling the fire for groups like peta when your saying this stuff on a public forum.

Whats fair chase "your" method of hunting, do you use a homemade bow, and arrows , and clothes made from the animals you killed, oh sorry Harvested...It's the mind set of people like you that see to it every year peta and hsusa get stronger any hunter that attacks another form of hunting is just the same as peta and the others in my book...I guess we should all use bows on ducks, geese and pheasant, kill the dogs cause they might flush a pheasant I mean comon man the dogs doing all the work, when you are bird hunting...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:35 pm

ORIGINAL: shadow

yes, but my hunting buddies also don't go around with wind/bullet drop compensation charts, nor do I need to tweak my scopes elevation knobs or screws after I find the yardage he may give me, normally a scope is set up for 100-200 yard shots at a your shooting range and no in the field adjustments are nessesary.
I still feel that was not hunting.

Does anyone that lives in deer country open the back door of their house when deer are in their yard 50 feet away or so and fill their tags?  Probably not its to easy.  Its exacatly the same thing with these snipers, they had glassed up an unsuspecting animal 1/2 mile away in the animals enviorment, oblivious to the danger ONE HALF MILE AWAY....and sure, the men are trained.  Easy shot.. Yeah what a great hunt.

Get close to the game your after.

I hope to god you know how to compensate shots in the wind, please tell me you do...arrow shots the same if you don't know how to compensate for windage even when bow hunting please don't shoot until you are properly practiced and can make a clean shot...Thanks

Hunt4life

Postby Hunt4life » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:42 pm

ORIGINAL: vambo991

All we're saying is... call it what it is... and it aint hunting...

Why do you care if they call it hunting or not? Who cares?

I filled my last 10 skinhead (meat tags) close to the road at standing game while they stared at me. It wasnt much of a hunt but that doesnt make it wrong.

Oh, btw... I'm Jeff and I'm a hunter and an activist. Nice to meet ya [:)]

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:48 pm

oh by the way I have killed deer, elk bear and every other game with a bow..I also have and still do use dogs, to hunt bear, cougar, bobcat, and coon...If you have never trained a dog to hunt you aint lived yet...I also Hunt water fowl and upland birds with labs...

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:54 am

Gutpile you call that fair chase? That's a joke..I sure as heck don't rely on dog's to kill deer, or shoot them from the roadside.  Hunt ,what kind of activest are you? I hope to god you don't think your standing up against peta, by hunting 10 doe's from the road...is that even legal in your state? Deer doggers will come up with any reason why dogging should be called hunting,the fact is you enjoy terrorizing and killing deer, and that is not hunting,its slaying. Save your dog's for the hog's, they are a real problem.  I'll never change your mind ,and I don't plan to, it's impossiable.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Hunt4life

Postby Hunt4life » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:23 am

Oh boy... I heard about some of the folks on this forum but I had to come and see if for myself. Lotsa "real",  manly hunters that know all about how to fight the antis reading us bad guys the riot act...

Hunt4life

Postby Hunt4life » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:39 am

Gutpile you call that fair chase? That's a joke..I sure as heck don't rely on dog's to kill deer, or shoot them from the roadside.  Hunt ,what kind of activest are you? I hope to god you don't think your standing up against peta, by hunting 10 doe's from the road...is that even legal in your state? Deer doggers will come up with any reason why dogging should be called hunting,the fact is you enjoy terrorizing and killing deer, and that is not hunting,its slaying. Save your dog's for the hog's, they are a real problem.  I'll never change your mind ,and I don't plan to, it's impossiable.

I've run hounds for deer, bear, lion, bobcats, coon... I've even used pointers [[[[GASP]]]] for birds! And yes, I have [quite legally and ethically, mind you] killed scores of deer close to roads to fill my meat tags. I'm also a trapper, archer and frontstuffer hunter. I believe it is always ethical to...

kill an animal in a humane, sustainable manner for food, wildlife management, ensuring public safety and to limit suffering. Always. From a pig in a poke to chasing high country mule deer buck nekid with a sharp stick, it's all "ethical"... every single example in Nature tells us so.

Yeah, I'm an acitivist. Ya want to compare resumes and trade war stories about fighting antis, inititatives, legislation and doing public outreach on behalf of the hunting community?

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions