Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Hunt4life

RE: Video: Sniper Makes 950-Yard Shot On a Deer!

Postby Hunt4life » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:47 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Whoh! I have only read the last few posts here. Don't think I can stomach any more than that, so forgive me if I am missing something, but...

Are we saying that if a hunter challenges the ethics of ANY legal hunting method, than they are in league with the antis?

One thing I am saying is that anyone who wants to call me unethical because I... run hounds, trap, can shoot farther than they can effectively and consistently (with gun or bow) and doesnt always make killing a food animal as challenging as possible is a cannibal, bad for future of hunting and needs his/her head examined. The arrogance of it all...

I have given a major part of my life to promoting and perserving the hunt - Being told that I am an unethical slob hunter by an internet "superhunter" really gets my dander up at times.

Hunt4life

Postby Hunt4life » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:38 am

My family had a deep disgust for Eastern deer-drives and treestand "snipers."

I moved to WI for a few years, experienced some deer drives and found it a good way to cull herds, reach harvest goals and put meat on the table. And, while I was taught to "spot and stalk" as a young western skull fulla mush, treestand hunting was interesting and more effective than my Western ways in certain situations so I did it.

But then I had to listen to my new cheesehead friends tell me how Texas was full of unethical hunters who shot over feeders and how southerners were really unethical because they ran deer with hounds (this from a few bunny beagle hunters, no less).

Hmm... If everyone is right then everyone is wrong. THAT is a problem - And the antis love exploiting that problem.

In every instance we are talking "tradition", not ethics. And tradition does not necessarily
equal ethics.

During the initiative to ban trapping in WA State I was speaking at a waterfowler meeting on this very subject. I asked the crowd to raise their hands if they believed shooting a bird on the water or ground was unethical. They all raised their hands. Then I asked how many of them would go out in the spring with the predetermined goal of blasting a turkey on the ground? lol Busted!

"Ethics and hunting traditions" - Not the same thing.

The public knows inconsistency when they see it. And the absolute hypocrisy of some hunters is crystal clear when they confuse ethics wth tradition.

Qualified people taking game at 900 yards is unethical compared to taking them at [a more common] half the distance? Then how "ethical" is it for that rifle hunter to shoot the antelope at 300 yards when a stickbow shooter is limited to 30?

Using dogs to hunt and kill upland game birds and bunnies is perfectly OK but using hounds to "harass" (as one person put it) other animals is not hunting and therefore unethical? How can there be an intellectual argument to support this blatant, harmful and ridiculously hypocritical notion? The public aint stupid, yer going to get us killed out there thinking like this.

Do you see the corner some of our "true hunters" are painting us into?

Think. Think hard.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:43 am

JPH I agree 100%,I knew better than to get into this discussion in the first place. Doggers will make any exscuse as to why dogging should be called ethical. According to these guys no one can have a opinion in a public forum with out joining peta first. This whizzing contest is getting old, so I will agree to disagree,and leave it at that.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:49 am

Hunt4life you are 100% spot on, you have put it so plain even a petard could understand it, maybe thats why Ted Nugent has put you in the credits on his last CD...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

Hunt4life

Postby Hunt4life » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:55 am

Oh you can have an opinion, but wasnt it you who said we were "joining PETA" (as you just put it) by posting about hound hunting on the internet? What do we have here? Opinion hypocrisy? [8D]

But this isnt about you as much as it's about the fuzzy headed thinking that gets us KILLED in initiatives/referendums, game management policy debates and out there in the big bad world of public opinion.

[I'm having trouble getting used to the way the board works, thats why the edits] [8|]

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:07 am

You don't need my help hanging yourself, I would be wasting my rope anyway.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:19 am

http://www.peta.org/MC/factsheet_display.asp?ID=53 go here and read what peta thinks of hunting, and then tell me why not supporting all forms of hunting is right...You need to read what hunt4life post he has iron in his words...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:28 am

Attention Pennsylvania Hunters:
Help Stop the Attack on Our Hunting Heritage!

Please Contact Your State Representative Today! 

As we have reported, amendments filed by State Representative Daylin Leach (D-149) to Senate Bill 151 and House Bill 1543 could be considered by the House at ANY MOMENT.  Simply stated, this legislation would criminalize and ban organized pigeon shoots in Pennsylvania by amending Title 18 ("Crimes and Offenses") of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes.

Pigeon shooting is an historic and legitimate activity steeped in tradition with many participants throughout the Commonwealth and around the world.  Participants are law-abiding, ethical shooting enthusiasts, hunters, and sportsmen who would not tolerate an activity that would constitute cruelty to animals. 

Pigeon shoots have been part of Pennsylvania's storied hunting heritage for over one hundred years.  Now, national "animal rights" extremist groups, led by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), have organized and funded efforts in Pennsylvania and around the country to ban this longstanding traditional shooting sport.

These zealots have set their sights on banning all hunting species by species throughout the United States, not just in Pennsylvania.  Today, anti-hunting extremists are focusing on pigeon shooting, tomorrow it will be deer or turkey hunting.  The CEO of HSUS, Wayne Pacelle, has admitted, "If we could shut down all sport hunting in a moment, we would."  Pacelle has even said, "We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States... We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped..." 

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:33 am

And experience under his belt, what he has accomplished is no small accomplishment in pulling fractured organizations under one banner for the common good. He has seen the good, the bad, the ugly and repeled more attacks than I can count. But, I digress.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:45 am

Guys, I understand the premis. "Give the antis even the smallest victory and they will buld upon it." This unyeilding approach has sreved the NRA well on gun control. I see where you are coming from, and I do not even disagree.

But you seem to be attacking any hunter who dares to discuss ethics. That, I cannot support. We must always examine and evolve in our own conduct. Not because of how it is viewed by those who want to take our rights, but because it is simply the right thing to do.

Once again, I am not coming down on the sniper, dog hunters, or anything else. I put my position as plainly as possible in my last post. I am simply standing up in favor of a free debate among hunters. I don't like bullies.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions