any body remember?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
howhill1

any body remember?

Postby howhill1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:15 am

anybody besides myself ever do buisness with bowhunters discount wharehouse? man i miss those guys. never found another that quite measured up. i recenlty found that gander mountain is doing mail order again fyi.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

allthingshunting

RE: any body remember?

Postby allthingshunting » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:38 am

yeah, it was a great store, we actually had an outlet store pretty close by.  That was 10+ years ago from what i recall.  I pretty much rely on cabelas now, some things from local archery shop, but i don't really like them so i only go when i absolutely have to.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:20 am

You bet I do!

I bought all my arrows from those guys, and a bunch of other stuff too!

It's also good to hear Gander Mountain is coming back.  I did a lot of business with them. I probably killed more deer in Kelly Cooper True-Leaf  camo than any other, and the only place you could buy it was Gander Mountain-- I'm thinking circa 1995. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:54 am

I had forgotten about them. I now use www.fsdiscountarchery.com  and www.3riversarchery.com
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:25 am

Try these guys too!

http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:54 am

You should consider doing business with your local, (or closest) pro shop rather than sending your business to a mail-order store. These guys are a dying breed, partially because the knowledge and experience aren`t being passed on, and mostly because it`s hard for them to stay in business.

I deal with a guy 45 minutes from me, and he`s great. He sells, he set`s up, he instructs on form, he fletches and cuts arrows, trouble shoots, sells assessories, and I don`t have to pay for a bow press or any of the other equipment. Even if you know how to do all or most of this, an awful lot of guys don`t, and it`s something to consider, keeping the little, local guy, in business.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:37 pm

thers is only one real proshop with 50 miles of me and unless your in the "click" and shoot a 1,000 dollar rig you ain @#$%&*. i do all my own work fletching,repairs,tuning.  shaman i think tru leaf might go back as far as 87 88 i think i still have some somewhere.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:30 am

ORIGINAL: howhill1

thers is only one real proshop with 50 miles of me and unless your in the "click" and shoot a 1,000 dollar rig you ain @#$%&*. i do all my own work fletching,repairs,tuning.  shaman i think tru leaf might go back as far as 87 88 i think i still have some somewhere.

i agree howhill.. i have two in my area.. one within 5 mins of my house, but if you go in there and don't know much about what you are getting into, he will rip you off so quick. only the "good ole boys" are the ones who support that shop. they are so stuck up at the local shoots its unreal. the other one is about 35 mins from my house, he is my personal friend and has taught me almost everything about tuning bows. usually we do everything to my bow on our own, in one of our basements, he has the press and makes the strings and everything at home. but 480 as far as local shops, im sure a lot of people can relate to if you are not in the click, you are nothing. and some people might not be as lucky as me, having two shops in their area. like you said, its a dying breed, but from my experience, they dont care. they are just as stuck up as always.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:50 am

You know, I used to hit an archery shop. I'd drive all the way from north of Downtown Cincinnati  south to Burlington, KY.  It was a first rate family business, and I probably sent half a dozen friends there to get their bows over the years.  Then the family sold out and I didn't like the new people much.

Then I wandered for years.  Occasionally I'd find an archery shop I liked, but it usually went under before I could really get to know it.   The best of the bunch was RELO up in Fairfield, OH. Then RELO closed up.  It's been 10 years, and I don't think the space is rented yet.

Then I got a catalog for Bowhunters Discount Warehouse, and I did not have to ride all over town to get accessories for my bow.  Now that they're gone, I drive up to Bass Pro-- about 5 miles away.

Support local business?  Sure, I have and would again.  I would pay a premium to have nice qualified people work on my bow.  On the other hand, I went into an archery store a few years ago and asked how much for a dozen custom arrows. The told me he would sell them to me, but his store was centered more on catering to Junior Olympic types and it wasn't geared toward bowhunters.  The arrows were done a week late, and I finally had to stand in the store and have someone finish them off for me.  I bought a half-hour's range time to test them out and left never to return.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:00 am

I have 3 shops within 5 miles of my house. One is an actually sporting good store and regrettable my local mathews dealer and have set business hours but they screw up about 75% of what they do.

The other 2 are the hoyt and bowtech dealers that are run out of someones basement and they dont have set hours, i can never get ahold of them, if you do get ahold of them and make an appointment they may or may not be there when you show up at the scheduled time.

I hate to say it but i can see why archery shops around here dont make it. A buddy and myself have resorted to doing everything ourselves as this seems to be the only reliable way to get anything done correctly.

Next

Return to General Discussions