FoodSaver Vacuum System

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
fasteddie

FoodSaver Vacuum System

Postby fasteddie » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:34 am

In the spring of 2007 I bought a FoodSaver GameSaver Vacuum system as I  had been previously using freezer bags when I processed my deer . Last ear was the 1st time I had been shut out during deer season in many many years so I havn't used the Processor until this am .
A friend of mine had bought a brick of special extra sharp cheese that he wants to take to his son in "Kalifornia" and was told at the store that vacuum sealing would make the cheese last on the plane ride without any refridgeration .
I open the box last night to check out the directions . When Lennie came over with the cheese , we started playing with the machine . Initially I couldn't get it to work and wondered if it was defective . I thought , what the heck , I have had this for over a year unused and it doesn't work .  Image  Image  Image

We tinkered around and did something to make it work and got the bag sealed on one end . Put the brick of cheese in the bag and did the vacuum process . What a neat gadget ! It worked slicker than heck . Can't wait to start sealing up some venison this fall !
The Foodsaver is a real neat product and makes any food items last much longer than normal freezing / refridgeration process' !   Image

JOEL

RE: FoodSaver Vacuum System

Postby JOEL » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:37 am

i use a similar device from seal a meal,i wish it had more power
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:32 am

I use it for all my fish. It adds alot of freezer life (except Tuna????) and limits burn.

I did find though that real thick and large cuts of meat tend to leave some air space, but after working with them some, I've gotten a better system down and get alot of the air out.

Hey also, to save on $$$$, when you use a bag, neatly cut one end open, take your meat out, and then turn it inside out and throw it in your dishwasher, reuse for something else!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

jacannon63

Postby jacannon63 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:53 am

Sailfish... I also had a problem with tuna. The taste was very strong after a short time in the freezer.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:26 am

Sheesh , the only tuna I have ever seen was in cans !   Image     Image

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:45 am

fasteddie - I'm with you.  I asked for one for Christmas two years ago, and I can't believe how good it works.  Hopefully, I'll be using it here soon...
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:42 pm

indeed the only way to go.........
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:08 am

I've been using one now for about 7 years, and for me, it ranks right up there with sliced bread and indoor plumbing as one of the greatest inventions of all time!

I've MORE than saved the cost of it by not having to have bought 7 years worth of zip-loc bags, freezer paper, and tape. I always used to double wrap all my meat, or use a zip-loc freezer bag and then wrap. Even with all that, meat still wouldn't really keep more than 6 months or so, and pork would be good for a month....maybe.  With the Food Sealer, venison will keep for YEARS (not that any lasts that long around here), and PORK for several months.

It also has decreased my butchering time by about 25%, by me not having to cut paper and tape, and then wrap.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to General Discussions