Loss of a mentor

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

Loss of a mentor

Postby JPH » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:55 pm

When I was 22 and new to the job (Fire Dept), Rick was one of the older guys who took me under his wing. In addition to teaching me the ropes at work, Rick offered me a lot in my personal life. One day I mentioned that I had always wanted to bow hunt for deer. He told me that he had done a litte of it himself and he'd be happy to show what he could.

That fall, Rick taught me the basics of archery and helped me put up some wooden stands on his 80 acre, hobby farm. I took an 8 point yearling that first season and nobody was happier than Rick. And while he was not a diehard deer hunter, he was always willing to let me hunt his place and listen to my stories as I grew into one. I would be a lousy firefighter and I would not be a bow hunter, if it were not for him.

Rick retired a few years ago and was making the most of it. He was involved in a motorcycle accident yesterday afternoon and sustained a head injury. Today his wife made the agonizing decision to cease artificial life support. As I write this, the doctors are in the process of organ harvesting for donation.

I guess we've all been blessed with a guy like Rick in our lives, or we wouldn't be here. I would ask any of you who are so inclined to pray for Rick's soul, and for strength for his family. Thank you.

howhill1

RE: Loss of a mentor

Postby howhill1 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:21 pm

you have the condolonces and prayers of my family and myself.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:22 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. The time you spent togather will be with you forever. I'd like you to know, the Lord God has a deer stand in his heaven for your friend, and someday you will get to hunt with Rick again.      
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:31 pm

Sorry for everyones loss.  Will remember all in prayers.  Rick reminds me of one good dude, rejoice in the fact that you got to know him. Panman

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:32 am

Im sorry to hear this JPH.  Rick sound's like a great guy to have in your life. He'll be watching down on you this fall, and like your first deer Im sure he'll be smiling watching you hunting again. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:41 am

so sorry to hear this 
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:01 am

Very sorry to hear of your loss.  You and your friends family will be in my prayers.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:17 am

You will be in my thoughs and prayers.

mcduff

Postby mcduff » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:57 am

My dad is a retired fireman and I knwo first-hand that the fire fighter community is one big family.  Anytime anyone loses someone, we all feel it. 

Condolences on the loss of you mentor.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:04 pm

So sorry JPH, for the void you now feel. There is nothing more sorrowful than losing a good friend, just as there is nothing more joyful than having had that great time together-bittersweet indeed.

Prayers go to both you and the family, what a heart wrenching decision to make. We went through the very same thing with mom when she was racked with cancer. If there`s any solace in this, mom`s doctor told us, that though we believed we were prolonging mom`s life with the artificial support, he said we were actually prolonging her death. Nonetheless, it`s a decision no one ever wants to have to make.

Good Bless.

Return to General Discussions