What kind of bow does everyone shoot?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
fasteddie

RE: What kind of bow does everyone shoot?

Postby fasteddie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:49 pm

I will be 67 a week from tomorrow . My BenPearson TX-4 is set at 60# and my Parker Phoenix EZ Draw is set at 70# . No problem drawing either one .

NYSupersportsman

Postby NYSupersportsman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:27 pm

JPH,
I wouldnt say that u are out of the ordinary. I would say most of the archers that I know are around the 28-29 inch range and between 65-70 pound range. Note that I am 23 years old- 5'10 and 215 pounds and most of my buddies are around my size or bigger.  I know that 60 is plenty but my bow performs better and has a flatter trajectory closer to 70 pounds and I shoot 3-4 times a week starting in april so 66 pounds will never be too much for me while hunting.  Good luck I am looking forward to seeing ur big buck pics this fall in the photo corner!!

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:02 pm

Good replies. I'm 36, but have stayed pretty healthy. I'm recovering from a roator cuff issue, but it was my non-pulling arm. I used to have my weight down to 60# and loved it, but I cranked it up when I went to mechanicals. 70# is not too much for me.

What I found even more odd was that my draw is longer than most. Again, i'm 5'8". Where do you guys anchor?

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:54 pm

JPH-
Im thinking that your anchor is what is different than most not saying its wrong, shoot what works for ya. I shoot a thumb release so my anchor is my first 2 knuckles locked onto my jawbone. I used to shoot a wrist strap index finger release and my anchor was at my ear and back of jawbone. I would guess that this is the average spot for most. Ive seen people anchor like you do with thumb on back of neck so its not rare. They say that most draw lengths are to long and not too short. Like I said earlier shoot what works for you and feels comfortable. The most important thing is doing the same thing every time so its second nature. Im 6'00" and I shoot a 29" 70# with a string loop,I also use a kisser and peep, along with my nose tip touching the string. Good luck and shoot straight!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:26 pm

08 Hoyt Katera
60lb draw 27 inch
Easton ST Excel
75 Grain Grim Reapers
Custom String w/ Speed Knocks,Bow Jacks, String Loop
QAD Drop Away
6 Inch Limb Saver Stablizer
Trophy Ridge Scrape Hunter Sight w/ light

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:48 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Good replies. I'm 36, but have stayed pretty healthy. I'm recovering from a roator cuff issue, but it was my non-pulling arm. I used to have my weight down to 60# and loved it, but I cranked it up when I went to mechanicals. 70# is not too much for me.

What I found even more odd was that my draw is longer than most. Again, i'm 5'8". Where do you guys anchor?

I think you anchor further back than most archers.  I'm six feet and about 200 and I draw 29 inches.  The kisser botton goes to the corner of my mouth and my thumb runs along my jawline (I have  D-loop and caliper release).  I determined this at my pro shop when I bought my bow.  He kept changing modules until I was comfortable.

A common way to determine your approximate draw length is to measure your wingspan, tip to tip with arms outstretched, and divide by 2.5.  That will get you close.

That said, you you shoot comfortably and well, I wouldn't change a thing.  Personally, I'd shoot behind my back if it increased my accuracy and I was comfortable.  Also the longer draw length will give you a little more speed.  Sounds like you should keep doing what you are doing.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:18 pm

JPH I agree with your anchor point being different which is pobably where you get your longer draw. IF locking your thumb behind your neck works great dont change. Everybody else is putting there stats in so here goes. I am  31 yrs old 6'-5" and 275 lbs shoot a 30" draw at 70 pounds, poundage buy choice I like to pull a heavier bow I feel more stable at full draw than with lighter poundage. I anchor at the corner of my mouth, with a string loop which is why I only have 30" draw and not 31 I dont like attaching my release to my string.  

Dont get to concerned with poundage though rule of thumb is you get more speed with increasing your draw lenghth than with poundage for every 10 pounds you increase your bow you gain around 3 to 5 fps. every inch of draw is 10 to 15 fps. Those are rough estimates..

If you are recovering from rotator cuff surgery and are able you could drop you poundage down and not really change your point of impact at close range...

Good luck.

psefirex

Postby psefirex » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:05 pm

PSE Firestorm lite, that is my bow, i love the short axle to axle, i can do,and go just about anywhere with it. I have shot a lot of bows in my huntin days, and i just love the feel of a pse. i will not shoot a nother huntin bow besides a pse. i will be up-gradin to the thunderbolt-x. i just dont get everyone all up mathews back on , all b/c everyone is usein them on the huntin shows, they may be great for some,but not for others . but i still have a high regard for what they do, and are doing for the bow huntng world.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:05 am

At 6' 2" I anchor one knuckle behind my jaw, d- loop and a 29" draw. I should have a 30" draw, but the shorter draw hasn't hurt my form. I shoot a 60 pound draw weight, 70 pounds is overkill, in my opinion. I could go with 50 pounds, because when its cold out the less you pull, easier it is to get drawed back with stiff muscles.    
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:01 am

heres some of mine

"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions