Crop damage, opinions?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Goose

Crop damage, opinions?

Postby Goose » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:08 pm

Just wondering what everybody thinks about crop damage tags and the way they are used. In Wisconsin here with alot of farm country I see it as a major influence on deer regulations and in my opinion it is a very poor system. Ive seen and heard of many farmers getting these tags and not use them for what they are intended. For instance: they are supposed to allow the public on to hunt for these deer that are damaging their crop but they only let friends or family on or nobody at all. Another thing that bothers me is Ive heard people that are in this program say that they only want so and so on there and they only want the fawns shot(preferably nubbys) so that it wont affect the deer numbers and they can get in the program again next year for more money. Ive read the Deer Herd management plan from our DNR and the crop damage report does have an effect on earn-a-buck and doe only season because of the number of damages in deer units can indicate there is to many deer. I think this is a program that needs to be adjusted. I know there are honest people out there and farmers that do have significant damage done to their crops and let hunters on there land so if that is you I am not cutting you down or saying you are in the wrong, alls Im trying to say is that there is room for improvement in the program and I was wondering if anybody else had an opinion that could change my opinion or if you agree?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

fasteddie

RE: Crop damage, opinions?

Postby fasteddie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:22 pm

The property owners / farmers are responsible for the Crop Damage Permits and how they are carried out . They aren't going to let just anyone come on the property and start shooting ! I had mixed feelingsabout shooting deer on crop damage permits but ........ if I didn't , someone else would .
My son and I have been shooting deer during the summer months for  farmer . We have only taken one so far this year as it has been so hot . The farm family has 7 or 8 of us taking deer . A retired DEC officer periodically counts deer in the two adjacent parks where the deer seem to hang out when they are feeding .
Many farmers complain about the deer hitting their fields heavy but are too lazy to do the paperwork and get permits .

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:45 pm

I got a buddy that does this for a farmer they shoot does all summer long and eat real good[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:59 pm

A farmer where my uncle hunts applyed for one of these. Im not sure if he got it or not, but I know he has already asked my uncle if he will help out if he gets one.So I know he's going to be out there. The farmer seems real nice and lets just about anyone hunt there as long as they follow a few rules. Im wondering how many people will ask to hunt it now if he has a primit for this.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:13 pm

I've also heard of the crop damage permits being issued to the plant Nurseries. A guy that I work with used to live near a Nursery. One night there were a couple spot lights going and they were shooting the 30.06. It was the middle of the night. He called the warden. They ended up checking out and were legal as crop damage permits and by any means necessary. So when my buddy talked with the nursery owner the next day he gladly volunteered to take care of the deer with his bow. He ended up being able to bowhunt all year. It might be worth checking out in your local nursery.
From those who much is given, much is expected

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:02 am

Did you know that in NY state that in tree farms and nurseries where deer damage is caused by buck rubbing that these farmers can shoot bucks as well as doe on nuisence permits....My personal opinion here....do not think the the DEC is managing this program correctly.

Return to General Discussions