hot mah-ma

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JOEL

RE: hot mah-ma

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:44 pm

the only problem with rattling is if you dont have large deer around your more apt to scare off the other bucks,its still a good technique but in my area it dont work,but it is a effective technique in other areas
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:26 pm

I will show my ignorance.  I always thought deer started rattling late Oct when they were getting ready for rut, breaking out of bachelor groups.  This is the time I would have tried rattling.  As far as not calling if you cannot see a deer, I remember reading something somewhere to grunt at least once an hour, if a deer was within earshot may create a situation he may come in to check it out rather than just keep walking on by.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:03 am

I've had no problem rattling in smaller bucks, they want to see who is fighting who, and which doe's they can sneak off with as well. I guess if you try it, and don't get results, you could always hold off. I've had good results myself with my methods. Once the rut kicks in high gear most bucks will have a hot doe already, thats why I rattle mostly early in the season, but it does work later in the season sometimes too. Rattling and grunting is never a sure thing, but it does work, you just have to try different methods until you get it right. When you do find a way that works, it's like pulling them in on a string. [:)]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Previous

Return to General Discussions