Scents??

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
loneranger

Scents??

Postby loneranger » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:11 am

This has been discussed many times I am sure,,but what has been your experiences with scent usage. As with all hunting practices, some say yea,,worked for me,,others say,,waste of time. Conclusion from most I have talked to,,waste of time and money. You mess up your area more, getting your scent all over the place. Saw a new scent company,,James Valley Scents. Has anyone used these? Claims are that his scents are far superior,,they all do say that though.

RNC

RE: Scents??

Postby RNC » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:06 am

For the most part I have just resorted to using the scent wafers that have come out over the last several years. I use Fresh Earth and White Oak Acorn as cover scents. The only liguid scent I use on a regual basis is pure vanilla. Deer either come right to it or ignore it but it has never spooked a deer and put it on alert.

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:39 am

i think ive tried bout all but that new drop tyne door 2 door stuff i know golden estruos works from wildlife research center bout 12 bucks a bottle i know standing estrous works bout 30 bucks a bottle but i will say i took my biggest buck to date with the standing estrous his nose was touching my scent wick when i pulled the trigger none are magic all probably work @ some point you just have to experiment till you build confidence in one & stick with it & you must play the wind correctly or none will work
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:15 am

I haven't used James Valley scents but have tried bunches of others.  I can't say if they work or not, but I'll continue to use them figuring that if nothing else I may be covering up my own scent some.  I can say I've never had a deer follow a scent trail like they talk about on tv, but I have had some deer sniff the scent wicks I hang in trees. 

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:16 am

I`ve had amazing success with doe-in-heat urine. There at least two times that I know off that bucks have come in too it, and possibly more.

I get it from Hoosier Trapper Supply, they`re located in Greenwood Indiana. They have a website, and they sell in quantity, so it`s a lot less expensive than the small bottles of Tinks and the others.

As was said, they`re no silver bullet. Some days, they may work, most days maybe not, but when it all comes together, and a buck happens to cross downwind and smell a hot doe, it can be exciting.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:20 am

i use the golden estrus also and the mock scrape stuff in a dripper,i lay down a trail as i walk in then hang up my homemade cans.last year i was walking uphill into the wind laying down a trail when i stopped to catch my breath i saw a buck following my trail,id say it works[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

rtf9769

Postby rtf9769 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:58 am

They work 100% of the time like they are supposed to, given you use them right..

Pine area..use pine cover on a branch near you, be sure to compliment the wind. Same goes for acorn..Acorn is my favorite.

Waffers are my favorite dispenser..Put em out, done..simple...

I never use  Doe pee, or Buck dirts etc..Makes the kill feel cheap. Usually theres enough droppings on the ground, scraps, and other give aways I can use as a lure.

Scent companies are scent companies..Nothing special about one from the other..Farm raised Does peeing in a bucket:)

I have heard though, that Acorn Rage is the new rave among the younger hunters. But again I I personally dont like baiting..

Its all about how you want to feel after you kill the trophey, and the story you want to tell...I like to be able to tell the story of a hunt..A fair chase..Worry about elimintaing your scent and let nature do the rest.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:40 pm

One bad experience I had was with the burning stick scent that you place under a bucket.  I think I ran off every deer within a mile radius with it.
I'll stick with liquid scents. One thing I would like to try is the 24/7
I couldn't find any last year so I'll start looking a little earlier this year.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:18 pm

I suppose it all depends...I like the deer scents smoking sticks....all season...I've had bucks and does come up to the spot a paw at it.....What I mostly use is my goats urine and droppings ...just got back from checking 3 scrapes I made by digging a foot deep and 18 in across....shoveling in wet goat bedding and droppings covering and patting it down...then I scratch a little in the area and rub the shovel on an over hanging branch.....two scrapes had fresh foot traffic and one was trampled and dug all up....my does are in heat and my buck is hobbled to prevent breeding....stinking things up good....also use tinks 69

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:32 pm

james valley has actually been around for years. possibly one of the first scent companies. they have as good a reputation as anybody. i use realdeer from shannon outdoors. check out their site their reasoning makes alot of sense. ive used it for about ten years i had the bags at first but now they just offer the liquid. i make mock scrapes with it as well as doctoring real ones. ill use a little of the real deer and just a couple drops of golden estrous then (iknow some think this is insane but ive had positive results) i pee in em myself.ive grown to be a little skeptical of the "urine" based scents. i heard reputable bioligists say flat out that their just a slaes gimmick. do they work ? idont know. theres alot of people who say they do and those who say they dont. much like carbon suits ithink they will perform to a certain level when used as directed. but dont expect to lay a scent trail and have bucks come in on a string every time. in my experience thier best usage is stopping a deer in a cetain spot for a shot.this would make a great article/study for the magazine. especially from a scientific standpoint and by someone whos afraid to lose a sponsor.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Next

Return to General Discussions