Scents??

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

RE: Scents??

Postby JPH » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:37 pm

I've played with scents without any positive results. I am certain that they can work, but they've never worked for me.

Nowdays, I am all about scent elimination. I can be a little neurotic about keeping scent off of me, so it seems a little counterproductive to drag along doe urine or some other stinky stuff. Plus, it's just one more thing to keep track of.

But that's me. Again, I do not doubt that it works for many of you.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:52 pm

again last year i had a fat doe stop exactly where i wanted her to stop by putting some scent on the ground in my shooting lane,just like TV i tell ya[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:49 am

ORIGINAL: rtf9769

They work 100% of the time like they are supposed to, given you use them right..

Not true........................

A scent can be used exactly right, and still not draw deer in. It depends entirely on everything coming together-a deer coming downwind of your scent, and, being in the frame of mind to want to check it out.

You make it sound overly simple, and it just isn`t.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:28 pm

I use black widow.. i find it very strong and works well.. but really i think whats more importain than the scent is the cover up. ill pour a whole bottle on me at times just to kill scent.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

rtf9769

Postby rtf9769 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:11 pm

Not true........................

A scent can be used exactly right, and still not draw deer in. It depends entirely on everything coming together-a deer coming downwind of your scent, and, being in the frame of mind to want to check it out.

Im was referring to Cover scents primarily..

As of the last 20 or so seasons, applied right, they are 100% effective"for me". Apply them wrong, ie your cloths, to much, to little, and your ruined..

Personally, I have enough does, roughly 15 this year roaming daily to be bait. Bait scents are to risky, cheap, and random to even use.

And as Jph said it is all about eliminating your actualy scent..We old timers up in acorn country always say, those that have to use doe pee, mock scrapes and doctor in odd ways, need to learn how to hunt:)

Previous

Return to General Discussions