CLEANING OLD DEER MOUNTS

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
joetex25

CLEANING OLD DEER MOUNTS

Postby joetex25 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:06 pm

Forgive me if this has been addressed perviously, but after doing a search, I couldn't find any info on cleaning OLD deer mounts...so I'm looking for suggestions.
The eldest member of our camp has a beautiful mount in the cabin, but it's really in need of cleaning up. It has been subjected to 40 years of way too much heat, dust, and cigarette smoke.
Any suggestions on how to put some sparkle back into this head would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Joe
"A smart man learns through his mistakes. A wise man learns through the mistakes of others"

Joe

howhill1

RE: CLEANING OLD DEER MOUNTS

Postby howhill1 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:32 pm

with a mount that is rather aged id be carefull, you dont want it bald lol, id contact the local taxidermist and ask his opinion.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:24 am

Probably consulting a taxi-man is the best idea.

I know that taking a vacumn cleaner and lightly going over the hair does a really good job of getting the dust off.

There is also that industrial carpet dry cleaning stuff they shake on carpets, let sit and then vacuum up.  I'd try it on a patch that doesn't show and see what it does. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:36 am

40 years old is a long time. You may have to have a new cape put on it if its too far gone. You might post a question at taxidermy .net, they will know more there. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

joetex25

Postby joetex25 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:00 am

THANKS for the input guys! You supported the thought I had...rather than further ruin the head, I need to have an expert look at it. Short of recaping the head, hopefully for "a little $$" and proper/experienced cleaning and touch up, a big improvement can be seen. If so, the smiles that will come from the owner will be well worth the investment.
Again, THANKS for taking the time to reply, and always remember to be safe!!
Joe

Kydeerhunter03

Postby Kydeerhunter03 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:20 am

I have a taxidermy video that said if you take some mineral spirits and dampen a cloth with it, and gently wipe the fur it takes off alot of the cigarette stains and dirt buildup from over the years. Worked really good on the video, maybe you should try it out.

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Baby wipes are great for spot cleaning stuff, but I am amazed that the hair is still intact. Something that old would be best cleaned by the professionals, but it might be time for a make over. My mount lasted about 10 years. I decided to take it back to just a horn and wood plaque mount.
From those who much is given, much is expected

Return to General Discussions