Shanty hunting

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Shanty hunting

Postby Sailfish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:33 am

Any of you hunt rifle/shotgun season from a shanty?
What are you thoughts as far as scent, sound, deer vision etc?
Do you have a heater?
Is it out year round?

Thoughts are varied.
I watch my uncle in his shanty, heater blasting away, him banging the windows on and the doors when he tries to open them, and the deer just walk right next to him and feed I mean right next to him.

So bizzarre.

I'll sit in my shanty at times and do everything I can do be invisible and they'll try to sneak by me in tall grass (heads down, walking slow).

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

passin through

RE: Shanty hunting

Postby passin through » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:42 am

Whats a Shanty?[:D]

I think you may be talking about what we call a box stand or texans call a shooting house?  I'm not sure though!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:38 am

a shanty is the house you ice fish in[:)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:19 am

Oh!  Ain't got that problem.  We only had 5-6 good frosts last year.  I'm more the iced tea kinda guy than an ice fisherman...sounds cold[:D]

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:26 am

Here's mine:

[url=http://www.blackholecoffeehouse.com/new_page_3.htm]
Die Jagende Hutte[/url]

Mine doesn't have all that much in the way of amenities.  I built it for when the kids were young, and they weren't quite ready for a treestand.  We've taken a few deer out of it.  It makes a nice refuge from the rain and wind. It wouldn't take much to put plexiglass windows in it and heat it.  However, our freezers are full before it gets too cold.

Mice ate the first set of curtains. The current set stays in a 5 gallon bucket and gets put up as needed.  I weighted them so they don't blow around as much.

Since it's been up, deer and turkey seem to ignore it completely.  I've had deer brush past close enough to touch and turkeys within a few feet of it.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:28 am

ORIGINAL: passin through

Oh!  Ain't got that problem.  We only had 5-6 good frosts last year.  I'm more the iced tea kinda guy than an ice fisherman...sounds cold[:D]
LOL, I enjoy ice fishing, as long as the fish are getting pulled out of my auger hole! I hunted a ground blind once, the wind flap about drove me insane. They do work on young deer atleast, the two small does I saw had no idea I was in the blind, until they caught my wind. I always wanted to make a sled type wooden ground blind for the old man, he gets too cold to quick anymore.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:10 am

Thats about what we use in MI.

Ours are a little taller, and on skids (move them in and out and around easier with the tractor).
My uncle built them from scrap stuff, so we have old glass windows that slide. propane heaters.

No problem with mice per se', however, it's usually very cold in Nov, and no mice. BUT, when the heater gets cranking freakin bees/and wasps wake up from their dormacy its really wild.

ORIGINAL: shaman

Here's mine:

[url=http://www.blackholecoffeehouse.com/new_page_3.htm]
Die Jagende Hutte[/url]

Mine doesn't have all that much in the way of amenities.  I built it for when the kids were young, and they weren't quite ready for a treestand.  We've taken a few deer out of it.  It makes a nice refuge from the rain and wind. It wouldn't take much to put plexiglass windows in it and heat it.  However, our freezers are full before it gets too cold.

Mice ate the first set of curtains. The current set stays in a 5 gallon bucket and gets put up as needed.  I weighted them so they don't blow around as much.

Since it's been up, deer and turkey seem to ignore it completely.  I've had deer brush past close enough to touch and turkeys within a few feet of it.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

passin through

Postby passin through » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:59 pm

Thats about what we use here but we call them Box Stands....  They go from ground level to 15 ft up.  I haven't had any trouble with them once the deer get acclimated to them.  Suggestion on the wasp problem.... Bug Bombs... A friend put me on that.... chunk one in in august and another in October 
 (if needed)...kills all the nests and creepy crawlies ...odor disapates PDQ.  

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:05 am

I built one in high school.. right now its on the ground and it fits 3 people very eaisly. I spray painted camo on it and put black carpet all around the inside. I just spray a little scent on me while walk to the blind. I have a heater but have tested it to how high it can go till a deer can hear it. Its left out year round and has held up rather well, its like a mini home lol.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Knockdown

Postby Knockdown » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:37 pm

My uncle built one about 12 ft off the ground a while back, complete with electric heater and a recliner with coffee table. It sat about 40 yds from a plot and the deer never even seemed to notice it as he killed more deer from that stand then I can count on both hands.

Next

Return to General Discussions