The Unwritten Rules of Deer Hunting

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
RNC

The Unwritten Rules of Deer Hunting

Postby RNC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:57 am

For me there are three things that seem to be a rule that no one ever told me about when I started hunting.

1) If someone sets you up in a hunting spot then tells you deer never come from direction X the first and probably biggest deer you will see in that spot will come from direction X.

2) If you see a deer a fair distance off and figure you got time to get set up for a shot, there will be a second deer much closer and watching you.

3)At the end of a hunt you send or weapon down to the ground and carefully check the area to make sure no deer are comming. You let go of the line you used to lower your weapon and before that line hits the ground a deer in clearly visible and approaching your set up.

You would swear that the deer are out there watching you and know exactly when you wont be ready for them to come prancing by.

JOEL

RE: The Unwritten Rules of Deer Hunting

Postby JOEL » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:59 am

whenever you think its safe to A take a bathroom break.or B take a food /drink break .soeme deer will come strolling into view out of nowhere[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:28 am

after sitting in the stand for hours without a trace of a deer you climb down to walk back to the truck (jeep in my case) to see deer standing beside it & i second the notion of every time you lower your weapon her comes a deer
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:27 am

ORIGINAL: RNC

For me there are three things that seem to be a rule that no one ever told me about when I started hunting.

1) If someone sets you up in a hunting spot then tells you deer never come from direction X the first and probably biggest deer you will see in that spot will come from direction X.

2) If you see a deer a fair distance off and figure you got time to get set up for a shot, there will be a second deer much closer and watching you.

3)At the end of a hunt you send or weapon down to the ground and carefully check the area to make sure no deer are comming. You let go of the line you used to lower your weapon and before that line hits the ground a deer in clearly visible and approaching your set up.

You would swear that the deer are out there watching you and know exactly when you wont be ready for them to come prancing by.

Couldn't said it better, spot on...lol 

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:23 pm

You can go all day without seeing a Deer and the minute you climb down from your stand and put your gun down and take a bathroom break a Deer will show up out of nowhere! [:@] 

After you get up in the morning for Deer Season,get all your warm weather clothes on,your 100 mile laced hunting boots and all your gear together you will have to strip back down to use the bathroom! [&:]

When you dress for cold weather it will get un-seasonably warm.....when you dress lightly there will be the coldest weather you've ever had in 50 years. [8|]

No matter how much gear you pack with you there's always that 1 item you forgot that you wish you had along with you! [;)]

After you have shot a nice Deer and you walk up to it you look across the field and there's a much "BIGGER" Buck sticking his tongue out at you and laughing as he runs away! [:(]

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:44 pm

I would have to add that after walking 1/4 mile from the house and getting to the stand, the wife will call to say there is a huge buck right by the house.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:44 pm

indeed the absolute best way to attract deer is put down your weapon to take leak or somthing......murphy was definitly a deer hunter!
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:35 pm

* If you find a tree that is PERFECT for a stand, and there is a vine growing on it, you can bet everything that you own that it WILL BE poison ivy!

* The elevation of the gully that a shot deer dies at, will be inversely proportional to it's body weight, and also the furthest mathematical point on that ground from where your truck is parked.

* As cold, and as uncontrollably shivering with cold as you may be, it will all STOP, and you will be immediately warm agin as soon as you spot a deer.

* The buck that I see from the kitchen window of our hunting shack at 11:00 AM, as I am cleaning my knives from the buck that I killed a few hours earlier, will be MUCH bigger than the one I killed!

* If it's deer season, and it's during legal hours, and you are on ground that you have permission to hunt, and you are walking in the field with your weapon, MAKE SURE IT'S LOADED. How many times have you heard this conversation....

"I was walking to my stand after lunch, in the middle of the afternoon, when this HUGE buck came out, walked 25 yards from me, and just stood there staring at me!

"Well why in tarnation didn't you shoot???"

"I didn't have my gun loaded."   WHAAAAAA???????????????

* We are part time hunters, hunting full time deer.

* The absolute BEST time to go hunting, under ALL conditions, is WHEN YOU CAN!"

* And my all time favorite, which I must credit to my best hunting buddy, was a response he gave to someone who asked him how does one know where and when deer will be in a given area:

"They are, where they're at, when they're there."
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:58 am

1 ..that great deer appears and you know you have just one shot...wait for him to get to that spot and sqeeze the trigger...to find you forgot to take the safety off and now he's gone...[&o] 
2 .. it's 4:30 am and you've checked weather and wind direction to pick perfact stand...Walk the 1/2 mile through woods and 30 yrds from stand all heck breaks loose...because it's under your stand that they'er bedded
3... You pick your stand and hear movement...glass the area to see a big buck standing under one of your other stands..that you had concidered hunting from but didn't.... just a couple hundred ft away....and he won't rattle or grunt in..[:@] 
4...half way up your ladder or coming down your ladder ....you look around to find deer 20yrds away...headed your way...To hang out for a while...ladder rungs are not kind to older feet...[8|]

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:10 pm

you find the best spot on the lease with trails all leading from a 1 yr old cutover into an oak bottom. you do your scouting, set up the stand in the perfect spot only to come back the friday before opening day to find the whole cutover burned to the ground. (Yes, it did happen!!!!) 

Next

Return to General Discussions