Where's my Buck's??

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shadow

Where's my Buck's??

Postby shadow » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm

I recently bought a trail cam, left it out for 2 weeks, and got around 60 pictures from it. Question is...i photographed only does, fawns and turkeys. No bucks. In this same area, last year I had seen 2 bucks and i was able to shoot one. (in the first week of Nov.,)  Do you think that this may be an area only populated by does and the bucks then travel into it in search of does during the rut?
I was hoping this area would be good for bucks in the early season of bow hunting starting in mid September.

I would also have loved to post some pics but after I click on embed picture in post and then click here to upload, it takes me only to the top of the page. I even tried w/out checking the embed picture box. No success.

gunther89

RE: Where's my Buck's??

Postby gunther89 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:05 pm

I would say that you have a doe area and that should be a good spot come the rut.  I would look for scrapes in that area and see when they pop up and that will give you a sign if there are bucks using the area early in the fall.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:57 pm

old rub lines would be a good place to look as well since they will shedding velvet soon.and these are usaully travel routes for bucks anyway.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:12 pm

its really hard to say...my buddy owns 80 acers and last season he saw one buck a spike and tons of does. he hunted it the whole season and saw the spike only once. the year before he saw tons of bucks...maybe the bucks just moved?  now this year he's already seen 3 different bucks on the property.i wouldnt get worried yet, tought it out for a little bit before you move to spot 2.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:38 pm

You should be able to do some scouting to check for buck tracks. Your probley in doe fawning area from the sounds of it...exspect to see bucks in the rut at the very least. If you were in a buck area..come rut hunting season you wouldn't see many bucks, so what would you rather have?  Bucks are also very reclusive until they shed vevet, they could be hiding from aggressive doe's.       The pic's need to be on the photo bucket site I guess.  I can still post pic's with my pc, if i re-size them first. You have to make sure your pop-up blocker is off too, before you open the link.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:58 pm

Thanks, Corey from the D&Dh site walked me through putting pictures on the site, and I did have to have my pop up blocker off. What a pain, some of these items most of us all use daily that were not even heard of for the most part 20 years ago can be a real hassle and time consuming. But i guess 20 years ago none of us communicated like this so its a real advantage.
Here are a few pictures i was able to take with a $50.00 Wildview camera, just wish I knew what time and day they were taken.
I have other areas I scouted to hunt were there are rubs and I will set up the camera there to check on deer activity.

I was only able to upload 1 photo for some reason.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:31 pm

im using the wildview's also. i try to use the sun's reflection to give me an idea of the time of day. ive thought about buying some cheap wall clocks and bagiing and hanging them within view of the camera for times but dates are still a guess
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:49 am

I would look for old scrape and rubs.I have found old scrapes and rubs that were made year after year in the same area. Scaring of trees and look for scaring of the roots of the tree if an old  scrape has roots in it.I have found there is at least one buck hanging in the area . 
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:50 pm

ORIGINAL: shadow

Thanks, Corey from the D&Dh site walked me through putting pictures on the site, and I did have to have my pop up blocker off. What a pain, some of these items most of us all use daily that were not even heard of for the most part 20 years ago can be a real hassle and time consuming. But i guess 20 years ago none of us communicated like this so its a real advantage.
Here are a few pictures i was able to take with a $50.00 Wildview camera, just wish I knew what time and day they were taken.
I have other areas I scouted to hunt were there are rubs and I will set up the camera there to check on deer activity.

I was only able to upload 1 photo for some reason.
  Nice healthy looking doe there. Which direction was your cam facing? It's better to face them north so you don't have sunlight messing up your pic's. Still you shouldn't have any problem with all that cover. If live in a state that allows baiting you can mix salt in the soil there for more deer action. Looks like you have a invasive vine in your timber too, is that bitter sweet, or honey suckel?   Looking forward to more pic's...someone would steal my cam if I placed it out somewhere here.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

shadow

Postby shadow » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:45 pm

Thanks, I have seen many large does out there. The camera was facing west, and I see sunlight reflecting off the trees, so its got to be morning.  
As far as the large vines, ?????  there is alot of wild grapes throughout the area, but those vines are much smaller i will need to look into finding out what those are.

Next

Return to General Discussions