The Foundation of your Hunting Ethics

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
mhouck06

RE: The Foundation of your Hunting Ethics

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:17 am

I'm NOT asking for anyone to run anybody else down or to condemn various ways and methods of hunting. 

Settle down 480 [:D]

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:52 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: shaman
Your stats are only slightly worse than mine.  In 25 years, I've only lost one, and it was from a muzzleloader.  That doesn't give either one of us reason to cheer. It just prooves that most deer go down with one shot, and the rest of this is just a couple of guys trying to fill the empty time before season starts.

Bravo!

Shaman, I've followed your posts and I like you.

Hunter480, we go way back to the old forum and you're my internet brother.

You're not so far apart guys. Can everyone take one step back and ease of the trigger?

You`re a great guy JPH-thanks for trying to keep the peace.

Maybe I reacted too strongly, but, shaman and I will have to disagree here. I`ll never pull the trigger on a white-tail unless I have exactly the shot I think is the right shot, and unless I`m positive it`s a one-shot-kill. I`ll do all I can to make it happen, then if something out of my control causes it to not be what I`d hoped-well that`s out of my control.

I just know as long as I`m hunting, I`ll plan for, and expect the one-shot-kill every time. There won`t be any follow up shots unless I`m standing over the animal.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:07 am

Well, my ethics came from within.......at an older age.

To me it's really common sense and respect.

But in my youth, I have to be honest, 3 felony counts, and a thoughtful judge taught me right from wrong, rules and regulations.

Not something I am proud of, nor am I disgusted with myself. I knew no better, and hadn't a tutor.

But I have much good to pass onto my daughter and son, I'm sure they won't take 1 wrong turn like their uninformed dad did.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:26 am

My father and older brother taught me all of my hunting ethics. And like you, Sailfish, i made some bad decisions and didn't know any better when i was a little younger. But, after getting into trouble a few times and trying to make better of myself, i really got into archery hunting and learning about deer and wildlife. It's the best thing that has ever happened to me. It's kind of hard for me to explain but i think you know what i mean. I feel that the sport of hunting has 100% turned my life around. I have so much respect for the animals i hunt and i love being in the woods. Theres NO WAY i'd go back and make the stupid mistakes i've made in the past. Get those kids in the woods, i believe it's one of the best things you can do for them.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:38 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

Well, my ethics came from within.......at an older age.

To me it's really common sense and respect.

But in my youth, I have to be honest, 3 felony counts, and a thoughtful judge taught me right from wrong, rules and regulations.

Not something I am proud of, nor am I disgusted with myself. I knew no better, and hadn't a tutor.

But I have much good to pass onto my daughter and son, I'm sure they won't take 1 wrong turn like their uninformed dad did.

Sailfish-

In my opinion, nothing to be ashamed of-as you said, you had no mentor, no one to give you direction.

I think the measure of the man is what he does, and where he goes once he know`s the right from the wrong.

Sounds to me like you`re doing just fine.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:31 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

ORIGINAL: JPH

ORIGINAL: shaman
Your stats are only slightly worse than mine.  In 25 years, I've only lost one, and it was from a muzzleloader.  That doesn't give either one of us reason to cheer. It just prooves that most deer go down with one shot, and the rest of this is just a couple of guys trying to fill the empty time before season starts.

Bravo!

Shaman, I've followed your posts and I like you.

Hunter480, we go way back to the old forum and you're my internet brother.

You're not so far apart guys. Can everyone take one step back and ease of the trigger?

You`re a great guy JPH-thanks for trying to keep the peace.

Maybe I reacted too strongly, but, shaman and I will have to disagree here. I`ll never pull the trigger on a white-tail unless I have exactly the shot I think is the right shot, and unless I`m positive it`s a one-shot-kill. I`ll do all I can to make it happen, then if something out of my control causes it to not be what I`d hoped-well that`s out of my control.

I just know as long as I`m hunting, I`ll plan for, and expect the one-shot-kill every time. There won`t be any follow up shots unless I`m standing over the animal.

I have one friend that is like Shaman and myself and another are like 480, guess what, we have more fun than 3 people should be allowed. In PA with 1 million hunters in the woods, a rapid second shot or even a third keeps the deer close and down, so that another cannot claim what you killed. Believe me it happens ALOT.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:41 am

Ethics are what you practice when no ones looking.You do the right thing all the time
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

adirondackhunter

Postby adirondackhunter » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:11 pm

I try for the one shot kill and it has worked for me in the past.Unfortunately the deer decided to run 100 yards  before it drops and i have had those that drop right in place. My first concern is gun safety ,second is what is beyond my target and then i try for the one shot kill. As someone has said earlier branches do get in the way.I do not see other hunters unless i am with someone.I have taken some new hunters out and  i tell them to try for a one kill shot because i believe it stops them from "throwing lead" at any part of the deer.I have taken second shots at deer . I have hunted in the Catskills in Ny and it sounds like war zone on opening day. 
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:12 pm

I was taught firearm safety and operation for five years before I was allowed to hunt. As far as "hunting ethics" goes... I've always been taught just to respect what GOD provides. It works for me. Shazam is right... I can't wait for October, man!

RNC

Postby RNC » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:45 am

My brother and I started with gun saftey class then our education continued with Dad. We learned shot placement, what to do after the shot, blood trailing, field dressing, care for the meat, practiced shooting for hours to place that arrow where it need to be, care for our equipment, stand locations, woodsmanship, etc, etc etc. We went over these things over and over and over again if necessary. If we were going to hunt we were going to do it right or not at all, the animals we hunt deserve the very best from us. It seemed like Dad was nagging at times but over the past 26 years I have seen the truth in those lessons come true and am glad he kept pushing us on those lessons.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions