The Foundation of your Hunting Ethics

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ranwin33

RE: The Foundation of your Hunting Ethics

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:01 pm

My hunting ethics are pretty much the same as my personal ethics and they follow this basic rule.

Don't do anything I'd be ashamed to have my mother read about if it were printed in the newspaper the following day.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:02 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

My hunting ethics are pretty much the same as my personal ethics and they follow this basic rule.

Don't do anything I'd be ashamed to have my mother read about if it were printed in the newspaper the following day.
Well put
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

RNC

Postby RNC » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:01 am

Not to get folks all fired up again but if the one-shot kill is a myth how do bow and muzzleload hunters ever have any success?

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:55 am

ORIGINAL: RNC

Not to get folks all fired up again but if the one-shot kill is a myth how do bow and muzzleload hunters ever have any success?

This post begs an answer..........

You`re exactly right, no disrespect intended to my friend shaman, but it is indeed all about the patience, and discipline, to wait for the correct shot. Once the projectile is launched, from whatever weapon, from the right range/angle/presentation, it SHOULD simply be a matter of a blood trail, unless, which happens more often than not, the animal falls within sight/hearing.

Just as an aside, archery and muzzleloader equipment are making up more and more of the gear taken afield today.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:44 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

This post begs an answer..........

You`re exactly right, no disrespect intended to my friend shaman, but it is indeed all about the patience, and discipline, to wait for the correct shot. Once the projectile is launched, from whatever weapon, from the right range/angle/presentation, it SHOULD simply be a matter of a blood trail, unless, which happens more often than not, the animal falls within sight/hearing.

Just as an aside, archery and muzzleloader equipment are making up more and more of the gear taken afield today.

bad shots happen, and a follow up is needed...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

RNC

Postby RNC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:34 am

Yes, bad shots happen, always have always will. But the one-shot kill happens also, making it real and not a myth. The vast majority of bow and muzzleload kills are one-shot and done. this fall will be my 26 year bow hunting in that time I have only had to shoot a deer a second time twice. One was a spine hit when the deer jumped the string and the other was a poor hit after a deflection. The rest of the deer that I have tagged have been one shot. I dont think anyone said not to shoot again if it was needed just that blazing away until the gun was empty is excessive and unneeded.

gutpile

Postby gutpile » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:25 am

Yes, bad shots happen, always have always will. But the one-shot kill happens also, making it real and not a myth. The vast majority of bow and muzzleload kills are one-shot and done. this fall will be my 26 year bow hunting in that time I have only had to shoot a deer a second time twice. One was a spine hit when the deer jumped the string and the other was a poor hit after a deflection. The rest of the deer that I have tagged have been one shot. I dont think anyone said not to shoot again if it was needed just that blazing away until the gun was empty is excessive and unneeded.

Your correct, 1 shot kills is what everyone hope's for, I don't know anybody that goes out to wound one so they can shoot it numerouse times...Elk hunting here sometimes can be "crowded" and I gaurantee you better put the lead to one if ya have the chance till it drops cause someone could make off with your beast...My uncle always taught me to make the first shot count, infact he somtimes wouldn't let ya shoot a second time, if ya missed, but if you hit it he would tell ya to get it on the ground...
Wheat is harvested, Animals are killed...

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:53 am

Bad hits happen, I don't care who you are or how you were taught to hunt. Once you commit to harvesting a deer you need to take all shots your able to get off safely.  Yeah its great to perform one hit kill shots, but in the bush you need to shoot like you mean it. I'd have to say most of the 30+ deer I have harvested over the last  20 years have ran after the shot.  Some 30 yards, 100 yards, even with vital shots at 20 yards, or ran miles with real bad hits. I think the only time I have seen deer drop in the same spot is when the slug goes into the spine. Maybe thier is a differance in the way shots affect the deer between shot guns and rifles I don't know? I have had deer broadside at 25 yards and missed them due to brush in the way, personaly I'm glad I have unloaded my shot gun on deer because the last shot put it in the vitals many times. I have to agree with Shaman, I don't much like tag soup. Maybe it makes me a slob, but atleast I can fill my freezer every year. I'll give out my address if you want to try to rip off my head over it as well.[:D]  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:46 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

Bad hits happen, I don't care who you are or how you were taught to hunt. Once you commit to harvesting a deer you need to take all shots your able to get off safely.  Yeah its great to perform one hit kill shots, but in the bush you need to shoot like you mean it. I'd have to say most of the 30+ deer I have harvested over the last  20 years have ran after the shot.  Some 30 yards, 100 yards, even with vital shots at 20 yards, or ran miles with real bad hits. I think the only time I have seen deer drop in the same spot is when the slug goes into the spine. Maybe thier is a differance in the way shots affect the deer between shot guns and rifles I don't know? I have had deer broadside at 25 yards and missed them due to brush in the way, personaly I'm glad I have unloaded my shot gun on deer because the last shot put it in the vitals many times. I have to agree with Shaman, I don't much like tag soup. Maybe it makes me a slob, but atleast I can fill my freezer every year. I'll give out my address if you want to try to rip off my head over it as well.[:D]  

My remarks were a figure of speech, but even at that, a poor choice of words, even for an act, I consider to be thoughtless, dangerous, and irresponsible.

And, IF, as you say, you`ve put your round into a deers vitals, as you`ve unloaded your shotgun, then no doubt, you`re a lottery winner as well, since that would be the odds of hitting a running white-tail in the vitals.

And yes, in MY opinion, that does indeed make you a slob hunter-but hey, my opinion certainly couldn`t matter to you.

Please do, feel free to PM me anytime.

[8D]

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:02 pm

I can hit deer in the vitals on the run too, done it many times in fact. I've even done it when deer are running directly at me at 50- 100 yards away. No lottery envolved or needed..it's called skill, something you don't have. Your the "slob" hunter, learn how to lead your target.  I don't need to pm you , I'll say what ever I need to right here on the forum. Right, your opinion means nothing to me.    Sorry about your luck! [:D]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions