Funnels and Saddles?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Gatlin

Funnels and Saddles?

Postby Gatlin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:20 pm

I've hear several people talk about saddles and funnels. They talk that there is good hunting around there? What do i look for? I dont have an idea what they look like or anything. Where i hunt there is a bunch of woods and brush and alot of country and tryin to figure out the exact spot to hunt. If i could find one it may help me out with my hunting. Just lookin for advice. Thanks

shaman

RE: Funnels and Saddles?

Postby shaman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:34 am

From Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  9/24/2004

When I was learning how to hunt deer. They always told me to look for sign and hunt the funnels. Deer signs were easy. They were big and yellow and they had a picture of a deer on them. In some places, the deer were shown just standing. In other places, the deer were leaping. You wanted to hunt the ones with the walking deer; they were easier to shoot. If you were lucky, you found one with a few big slug holes in it. That meant somebody had hunted that sign successfully. You wanted a fresh sign too-- one that was all bright and shiny yellow and not some rusted old sign. Deer wouldn't come to the old beat up ones.

All you had to do was go into the woods a ways away from the sign and then wait for a deer to come through. The state had made it illegal to hunt too close to the signs. That was so it was sporting for the deer.

Funnels were a much harder thing to figure out. I looked for years for a funnel in the woods. I finally got a nice shiny metal one and put it up on a post. Sat by it for days-- I did see deer, but they were always running away. I even tried hanging my funnel on a deer sign, but that didn't work either. Trucks would come by and knock it off. I couldn't understand what the whole thing was about funnels.

They told me I was stupid-- store-bought funnels wouldn't attract deer. You'd have to find one in the woods or make your own. Now how in the heck is a deer going to know which ones came store-bought and which ones are homemade? If I bought one and left it out in the woods over the Winter to rust, could I then use it?

The more I thought about this whole funnel thing, it was just hooey. It wasn't a proven scientific method like the Jon-E Handwarmer I always carried with the special Jon-E bucklure dispenser. However, that's another whole story.

Deer Signs: they were a sure bet. But how did the deer learn to come to those signs. I tried making one and putting it out in the woods. That didn't work. Mine was plywood, and the state's was metal, but I couldn't imagine the deer cared about that. After several attempts it finally dawned on me that there was something else going on.

Salt. You needed the salt. States put down salt to clean the roads of ice, and then they put out signs to show the deer where salt was being left. All that salt was going somewhere-- it sure as heck wasn't piling up. The deer were coming by and getting it. If you put out salt and stuck a big yellow sign over it, the deer would come to it. I tried salt with a sign, salt with a funnel, salt with a funnel and sign both. It didn't seem to matter. Salt all by itself worked. You didn't need the sign. I thought about writing the state to tell them they could save a lot of money on signage, but then I figured word would get out. Besides, they'd all called me stupid. Let them go rot by their stupid signs.

I've kept this as my secret until now. Now that I'm getting deer on a regular basis, I though I'd just share it with you all. Ain't it funny how dumb some hunters are? They go for generations thinking deer behave a certain way and it's all something else entirely.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:10 am

funnels are good places to hunt & are not hard to find most properties have @least one but all they are is a land feature or obstruction that naturaly forces deer to move thru a confined area kind of like an hour glass catch the right wind & they can be as deadly of a spot as any another area to consider that anyone should /could find is what i call huntin the W all you do is find where 2 hollers & 3 ridge tops form a W & climb a tree on top of the middle ridge with a good view & now you can take anything that comes thru the 3 ridges & 2 hollers to make it even better find some rdges with some finger ridges on them
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Gatlin

Postby Gatlin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:51 pm

ok thanks..what do u mean hollers? Have u ever heard of a saddle or is it the same thing?

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:55 pm

ORIGINAL: shaman

From Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  9/24/2004

When I was learning how to hunt deer. They always told me to look for sign and hunt the funnels. Deer signs were easy. They were big and yellow and they had a picture of a deer on them. In some places, the deer were shown just standing. In other places, the deer were leaping. You wanted to hunt the ones with the walking deer; they were easier to shoot. If you were lucky, you found one with a few big slug holes in it. That meant somebody had hunted that sign successfully. You wanted a fresh sign too-- one that was all bright and shiny yellow and not some rusted old sign. Deer wouldn't come to the old beat up ones.

All you had to do was go into the woods a ways away from the sign and then wait for a deer to come through. The state had made it illegal to hunt too close to the signs. That was so it was sporting for the deer.

Funnels were a much harder thing to figure out. I looked for years for a funnel in the woods. I finally got a nice shiny metal one and put it up on a post. Sat by it for days-- I did see deer, but they were always running away. I even tried hanging my funnel on a deer sign, but that didn't work either. Trucks would come by and knock it off. I couldn't understand what the whole thing was about funnels.

They told me I was stupid-- store-bought funnels wouldn't attract deer. You'd have to find one in the woods or make your own. Now how in the heck is a deer going to know which ones came store-bought and which ones are homemade? If I bought one and left it out in the woods over the Winter to rust, could I then use it?

The more I thought about this whole funnel thing, it was just hooey. It wasn't a proven scientific method like the Jon-E Handwarmer I always carried with the special Jon-E bucklure dispenser. However, that's another whole story.

Deer Signs: they were a sure bet. But how did the deer learn to come to those signs. I tried making one and putting it out in the woods. That didn't work. Mine was plywood, and the state's was metal, but I couldn't imagine the deer cared about that. After several attempts it finally dawned on me that there was something else going on.

Salt. You needed the salt. States put down salt to clean the roads of ice, and then they put out signs to show the deer where salt was being left. All that salt was going somewhere-- it sure as heck wasn't piling up. The deer were coming by and getting it. If you put out salt and stuck a big yellow sign over it, the deer would come to it. I tried salt with a sign, salt with a funnel, salt with a funnel and sign both. It didn't seem to matter. Salt all by itself worked. You didn't need the sign. I thought about writing the state to tell them they could save a lot of money on signage, but then I figured word would get out. Besides, they'd all called me stupid. Let them go rot by their stupid signs.

I've kept this as my secret until now. Now that I'm getting deer on a regular basis, I though I'd just share it with you all. Ain't it funny how dumb some hunters are? They go for generations thinking deer behave a certain way and it's all something else entirely.

[:D]

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:04 pm

ORIGINAL: Gatlin

ok thanks..what do u mean hollers? Have u ever heard of a saddle or is it the same thing?

A saddle is a spot that gives a deer a slight depression to walk up the side of a ridge.......did I explain that right? They`re productive since deer, and bucks more specifically, will use terrain features to their advantage when moving, both for concealment, as well as ease of travel.

A funnel can be a fence row, a place where the woods narrows, a spot in a stream or river where the water is low, anything that constricts the deers ability to move, and put him in more of a confined area.

You can even create your own funnels in the areas you hunt. you can move deadfalls into position to funnel deer movement past your stand. It can be effective, but I don`t think is used as frequently as it probably should be.

There is a great book, called, "Mapping Trophy Bucks", by Brad Herndon, it gives great examples of saddles, natural funnels, inside corners, and more. It`s a great read and worth the cost.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:08 pm

Thanks!  But seriously folks.   . .

A saddle?    I have two saddles on my property, and they both are deer magnets.  Both occur along ridges.  Our ridges are fairly narrow, with only the width of a 2 lane road that's flat at the top-- or less  in spots.  Now imagine a slight depression there at the top-- a dip.  In one case, on my property, it knocks about 50 feet of elevation off, the other is about 30 feet of elevation.  In both cases it reduces the trip up and over from one side of the ridge-- one flowage -- to another.    In both cases, the deer go out of their way horizontally to reduce their vertical trip from one side of the ridge to the other.  The bottom of the saddle becomes a funnel
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:14 pm

ORIGINAL: Gatlin

I've hear several people talk about saddles and funnels. They talk that there is good hunting around there? What do i look for? I dont have an idea what they look like or anything. Where i hunt there is a bunch of woods and brush and alot of country and tryin to figure out the exact spot to hunt. If i could find one it may help me out with my hunting. Just lookin for advice. Thanks
I'm no pro, but I'll give it a shot. I'm sure someone here hunts big country and can elaborate further.  Funnels, are where the deer movement is restricted by the terrain. Lets look at wind rowwed brush piles, the deer like to go around them to follow the path of least resistance.  Another is where a small strip of cover connects two larger parcels of land, or when deer follow a fence.  Anywhere the the accessable cover could be restricting the natural movement of deer, like a when deer follow a point out into a ag field. Creeks are good funnels as well, the deer cross the easiest path along the creek. They will also travel the edges of the creek. Funnels can also be where a corner of a wood lot is meeting a grassy area , deer enter the wood lot there, from thier bedding area.  I think edge habitat relates to funnels somewhat too, like when several different types of cover and terrain condtions meet at one point.    Saddles , I don't know much about, I think it's where the land is lower than the surroundings, or half way up a ridge on a shelf, where deer travel a path. Hopefully someone else can explain saddles to us here?                                       
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:08 am

holler>if u have 2 ridge tops & you walk to the lower parcel of land inbetween them you are standing in the bottom of the holler
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

joetex25

Postby joetex25 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:16 am

Gatlin:
hunter480 was dead on with his recommendation: "There is a greta book, called, "Mapping Throphy Bucks", by Brad Herndon, it gives great examples of sawddles, natural funnels, inside corners, and more. It`s a great read and worth the cost. "
Of all the books and articles I've read, this book does the HANDS DOWN best job of explaining and teaching you not only what terrain features are, but also how to properly hunt them. A strong advocate of using topo maps and aerial photos, he teaches you how to read the maps as a great aid in locating these features before even setting foot on the property. He also has a chapter (or more) on not only how/why to properly hunt the wind, but also how to understand why and how the wind will vary in the areas you hunt.
I've been archery hunting a lot of years, and I wish I would have learned the info in his book "way back then". Although any time in the woods is great, the info in the book really would have made for even more productive time on stand.
Good Luck, and BE SAFE!!!
Joe

PS...the book is available for about $16.50 through Amazon, among other places. I seem to recall a recent promo on a choice of books, including this one, showing up on my 'puter through D & DH, but I'm not positive about that. The other year I bought mine at a Book Store, and probably paid more.

Next

Return to General Discussions