How long did it take to get your first deer.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sierra

Re: How long did it take to get your first deer.

Postby Sierra » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:03 pm

I began deer hunting when I was 20, for one season. My grandfather had wanted to teach me to hunt, but my mom is rabidly anti-gun. I was not allowed to learn to shoot or hunt. My grampa passed when I was 14. At 18 I began to have serious back problems, and ended up having surgery when I was 19, and again when I was 20. But I was determined to hunt, and I spent my downtime after surgery reading everything I could get my hands on.
When I was in walking shape, I went out to central Michigan where I lived at the time and scouted. I chose a favorite spot and a few backup spots on public land. I saw three does, all of which were running and never presented a shot. And to be quite honest, it's a good thing. I really wouldn't have been able to drag a deer, let alone lift it into my vehicle. But it was good to get outside.

After this, my daughter was born and as a single mother, I just never could arrange for her care during gun season. I did get out to shoot now and again, and kept reading, but hunting was on the back burner until she was older.

Then I got married and had my son, and my husband developed a severe case of irresponsibility. :-) I worked a couple of jobs, so really, I didn't think of hunting.

After the divorce, I moved to Ohio with the kids. Once they were bigger and I was no longer working two jobs and I had vacation time, I started to think of hunting again. This time, I was with my now-husband Chris, who hunts periodically and is very supportive of my hunting. So, hunting finally resumed in 2012!

So, this past gun season in 2013 was my third, and no deer yet. I goofed a good opportunity in 2012, and this past season I missed a shot, but after some encouragement from you guys on the forums, I am done beating myself up for the miss and ready to start again. This year, I plan to add more seasons into my hunting.

Thanks everyone for your stories! It's encouraging to those of us who have not killed their first deer yet to know that it sometimes takes a few seasons.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:10 pm

It takes just a moment to shoot a deer. You can wait for hours seeing nothing, then all of a sudden, there he is. Keep putting in your time in the woods and you WILL get one.
Glad to hear that things have turned around for you Sierra
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Sierra, my father hunted deer with a bow for 10 years, and never got his deer. During his last year of hunting (before his health stopped him)he bought a Horton crossbow, and never got to shoot it at a deer.
I now have his crossbow, and intend to blood it for him ;) that leaves me with one for either hand. (Think I could get holsters for them like Yosemite Sam?;))
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

allthingswhitetail

Postby allthingswhitetail » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:59 pm

I started hunting deer at 13 and shot my first one at 18. He was a small 1.5 year old. I shot my second deer at age 33 after taking several years to chase 2 legged deer and eventually getting married and starting a family of 4. That deer was only a 2.5 year old. The first one I shot that I was willing to put on the wall was in 2011 at age 41.

This thread started out talking about patience for new hunters. I'm the poster child for patience as I admittedly am not the best hunter in the world. But I'd put my passion for this hobby and sport up against anyone.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:10 pm

Above all else, deer hunting is supposed to be fun! Occasionally while I'm hunting if I realize that I'm no longer having any fun, at times the better part of valor is to just go home. (I'm not saying that I quit easily, but everyone has a point.) It usually does not take me long to go back in the woods.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:22 am

Shot several deer with gun in Mich. while still in high school. But it took me 4 years to shoot my first with a bow.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Previous

Return to General Discussions