Back from the Taxidermist

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
OHhunter

RE: Back from the Taxidermist

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:13 pm

ORIGINAL: shaman

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Awwwwwww-we thought shaman had invented that pose..................

It just keeps on going and going and going. . .

Look,  if there is something that really bothers you, why not stick it in a PM, and we can hash it out without it being a public spectacle.    If it really
bothers you, complain to the Forum moderators.

As it is, I am truly sorry that I made the jab about it only taking one shot.  This seems to have  got you worked up again.  I apologize for doing it.  I also apologize for wording the previous post as I did.  I don't get around taxidermists much, and my taxidermist has only been doing this for about 6 years.  Between us, trying an ultra aggressive pose on a sneak form was something new for him, and it was certainly new for me. 

Just please don't feel like you have to run around behind me and carp.  I enjoy deer hunting.  I do not claim to be an expert, but I do claim a love for the sport.  It is not like we're even hunting on the same ridge, or out of the same camp, so I don't know why you're making this such a focused thing.

Please check out my other stuff at Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries , and  my website at Blackholecoffeehouse.com ,  and really give me a try before going farther.  I'm certain that you'll find me not all that far from you in a lot of things.  Perhaps if we can discover some common ground this all can end.

Am I missing something here???

great buck, great pose

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:20 pm

shaman nice website .
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:40 pm

Just checked out your web sites, interesting reads. 

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:44 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

ORIGINAL: hunter480

Awwwwwww-we thought shaman had invented that pose..................

It just keeps on going and going and going. . .

Look,  if there is something that really bothers you, why not stick it in a PM, and we can hash it out without it being a public spectacle.    If it really
bothers you, complain to the Forum moderators.

As it is, I am truly sorry that I made the jab about it only taking one shot.  This seems to have  got you worked up again.  I apologize for doing it.  I also apologize for wording the previous post as I did.  I don't get around taxidermists much, and my taxidermist has only been doing this for about 6 years.  Between us, trying an ultra aggressive pose on a sneak form was something new for him, and it was certainly new for me. 

Just please don't feel like you have to run around behind me and carp.  I enjoy deer hunting.  I do not claim to be an expert, but I do claim a love for the sport.  It is not like we're even hunting on the same ridge, or out of the same camp, so I don't know why you're making this such a focused thing.

Please check out my other stuff at Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries , and  my website at Blackholecoffeehouse.com ,  and really give me a try before going farther.  I'm certain that you'll find me not all that far from you in a lot of things.  Perhaps if we can discover some common ground this all can end.

I apologize-I know I took the ribbing too far.

Let`s start again, on the common ground we have as passionate deer hunters.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:12 am

Cool.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

RNC

Postby RNC » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:07 am

Nice mount, I like the pose.

passin through

Postby passin through » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:58 am

Hey Shaman --- Awesome Buck!  I am currently plotting on how to get up to KY with a Bow & Mzl loader.  Do you have any counties you would reccommend over any other?  Also we probably are going to use a outfitter---do you know anybody?  

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:05 am

Nice buck, and I don't care if you shot him fifty times! Looks like he had some scars from fence on his chest? Maybe the hide slipped a little? Anyway what did that buck's rack measure?
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:58 am

KentuckyHunting.net

Here's a good forum for finding out more about KY Bow and ML hunting.  XIBowhunter is a good guy.
I hunt in Bracken County, but I can see Pendleton County; it's only a couple ridges over.

Here's a map from KDFWR.  If you dig around their site, you'll get lots of harvest information.  However, I can tell you the Ohio River Valley is hot, and the deer are big.  That goes for both sides of the river (OH, KY, IN, etc.)  Remember, these are harvest numbers, not populations.  However, if the county shows white on this map, you can probably take it to the bank.  The other real hot spot that everyone talks about is Land Between the Lakes.  What you see from this map is where a large urban area (Greater Cincinnati) connects with a lot of deer, you get a lot of harvests.

My place is in the Trans-Bluegrass which is between the Ohio River (about 10 miles to the north) and the Bluegrass region (Starts around Cynthiana) .  The land up there contains a lot old tobacco farms that are either laying fallow or been converted to beef production.  The Feds came through and paid off  the tobacco farmers to stop production.  As the land reverts back, it turns into a deer and turkey paradise.  Zone 1 (Northern Kentucky) allows as many doe as you want at $15/ 2 tags. 

As to the mount, he was a real mean one.  He's got a broken brow tine that looks like it came off fighting well before season.  There were scars and such all over him. He had been rubbing trees like mad-- bits of bark and such stuck in the base. I haven't measured him, but the taxidermist estimated him at 165-170.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Previous

Return to General Discussions