Fawn sightings?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
gunther89

Fawn sightings?

Postby gunther89 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:48 am

I was just wondering if anyone has been seeing any fawns.  On our hunting land we haven't seen a one and we've seen 5 or 6 does every night that should have fawns with them.  I figured that with the harsh winter Wisconsin had this past winter that there would be less but i didn't think we wouldn't see any.

msbadger

RE: Fawn sightings?

Postby msbadger » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:05 am

Hey gunther...here at home in NY we have alot of fawn this year....I've kicked up sets of triplets ...twins ..and several single fawn just on our land and ppl around me have as well....not sure down at camp...more yotes bear and no ag land there....with most ppl having logged allowing the wht. oaks to be harvested the lack of feed and heavy snow does a number on the fawn population.....Though during turkey season this spring I saw many more doe and buck....35 walked by my blind the first morning...figures... deer during turkey hunting [8|]

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:46 am

Had one run up a mowed path toward me as I was sitting in front of our barn, got to about 20 yards from me, then decided it probably wasn't a good idea to go any further.  Pretty sure it has also shown up on our game camera a couple of times.  We usually have a doe that puts down twins, but not this year.  Have to wonder if she didn't make it through the season. 

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:13 pm

Saw two does each with twins up by my camp in northwestern PA.  That's a good sign as the population isn't that high there.  Here at home (southwestern PA), they are all over.  I believe my wife saw a doe with triplets in our yard last week.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm

On the way to town today the Wife was driving so I was able to check out all the Turkeys in the fields with their new baby chicks and as we drove along a high bluff over-looking the creek to my right I saw a Doe walking through the water with her Fawm beside her.I'll probably set out my trail camera to see if we have any Fawns on the farm behind the house and let everyone know what we have around. 

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:06 am

Im from Southwestern PA as well.  I have trailcams placed in various spots nowhere near eachother in the woods that i hunt and get pics of fawns on each almost everytime i check them. Could be a couple of the same ones but there are plenty.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:11 am

been seeing tons of em guess its gonna be a good year
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:31 pm

I have been seeing less and less as the temp goes up and the cover gets higher.
Within the past week, the predominant road kill has switched from deer to snapping turtle. It's time for the snappers to lay their eggs, also time for the deer to settle down within their small summer area. Most of the wheat is out, we're waiting on the 3rd cut of hay, and the deer are not being stirred up any. All of this equals few deer sightings around here.

ibewman

Postby ibewman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:57 pm

i saw one today. the first of the year for me.
i didnt climb to the top of the food chain to eat soy burgers

RNC

Postby RNC » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:11 am

We are in NW Wisconsin and the first fawn I saw this year was late May. it was still shakey on its legs so it was prolly born that morning. We saw a pair of fawns just this last weekend and have seen a number of very small prints on the family property.

Next

Return to General Discussions