Antler growth

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
bowtech21

Antler growth

Postby bowtech21 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:33 pm

Hey everyone.  I'm from PA and I'm a new member to this site and lovin it. Lots of info. Anyway, i checked my trailcam today and i got 1 picture of a 14 point on July 10th. (very rare where im from) It's maybe 16" wide Max, and its g2's g3's and g4's are all the same length-about 4 inches with some kickers.  Also, the bases of this guys horns look like tree trunks.  It looks kind of akward right now. (lots of points, but small) I know its going to grow, but not quite sure how big its capable of turning out to be.  Anyone know what i can expect? Thanks guys

Highlander Archery

RE: Antler growth

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:04 pm

Not too sure on the antler growth but, I am from NW PA.

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:11 pm

Interesting, well thanks for takin the time to read it. Appreciate it.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:36 pm

I would imagine that if the deer is an older one he is on the downside of his virility. If he is younger maybe there is a lack of nutrition?

Land I hunt had two 10 points and an 8 that were very tall but not real wide

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:36 am

Without seeing the photo's or knowing the area, but based on what you say about deer like this being rare there, I would guess that this is an OLD deer....one that has managed to survive to reach the size and age that he is. If you can kill this deer, he will be a trophy of GREAT magnitude, regardless of what his score is.

I live in Illinois, and big deer like this are not uncommon here. But several years ago, during bow season, I stopped at the local meat market that a friend of mine owns, who at that time, was still cutting deer. He told me to go with him into the back cooler to see this buck that a fellow had brought in. This is on the edge of suburbia, and many deer here simply die of old age.

Anyway......I walk into the cooler, and here's this buck, with his hind legs from the hock joint down cut off mind you, hung by one of the remaining legs, and his FRONT QUARTERS WERE NOT ENTIRELY OFF THE FLOOR!!!  I've seen a LOT of huge deer in Illinois over the years, but I'd never seen one so big. He had a large, but knarley rack, that at one time must have been a sight to see. He also had only a half dozen or so teeth left in his mouth. I doubt that he'd have lived another year.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:15 am

I wish i could put a picture up of him to show you but the picture is over 1000kb and its saying im only allowed 200kb max.[:@] Oh well thanks anyway. I can only hope to see that buck again.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:44 am

I wouldnt get too worried yet. He still has time to grow, he might not get much wider, but i would imagine his antlers will grow taller. I read that they can grow up to a 1/2 inch per day and they grow continue growing until sometime between july 25 and august 10. Im from PA also and that def. is a trophy by any standards.

bowtech21

Postby bowtech21 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:15 am

I have no idea if this is going to work. But hopefully, here is a pic of that 14 point.

DEERSLAYER

Postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:14 am

He dosen't look like he is real old. I would say he is on the up swing and will just get bigger if he makes it until next year. Those tines should be about 8" by season (give or take 2") depending on how good of a food source he has. If there is a high protien food source around like clover, alfalfa, etc. then he should put on quite a bit of antler growth over the next couple weeks. He is going to be a pretty nice buck. I wish I had one like that around here I was hunting. [:)]

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:55 pm

Man, I'm not sure from the picture, but he looks young. Give him time... if he's old and he dies before you can take him then oh well! But if he's young and you get a shot at him 1-2 years from now... you'll be glad you let him walk. NICE-LOOKING BUCK!

Next

Return to General Discussions