biggest buck

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeerCamp

biggest buck

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:09 pm

hey, i was just wondering what everyones biggest buck they have shot was that was fair chace. what it scored the story behind it and everything.

I have 2 a 6pt that i didnt get scored but had a 14" inside spred.
I went out with my uncle for the youth hunt in Jackson MI. We woke up early and went out to some farm he hunts. We sat for an hour in the dark and heard several deer walk by us. I was very pumped. Once light hit I looked across the feild and saw 6 deer. One was a big buck. The deer moved in close to use at 50 yards. The buck stoped there and then the does came with in 10 yards of us on the ground. My uncle said DONT MOVE! At the time I was young and was moving all over trying to get a shot at the buck. The doe's bolted and the 6pt stood there like a dumby. My uncle was saying shoot shoot shoot him, i never had a clear shot. and then he started to laugh cuz he saw the log my gun rested on was shaking like none other. I then fired the gun and down went my buck. We walked up to it and I was just tickled. We dragged it by our blind and gutted it out. After that I looked into the feild and saw 2 big Tom turkeys. It was a moment that i will NEVER forget!

The 2nd but I shot was a nice 8pt witha  13" spred. I was planning on hunting this one spot all year. And I went to it in the morning of opening day only to find someone eles in my ground blind. needless to say i was very upset but nothing i could do. so i moved about 200 yards away and sat for a while. After seeing a few does I got up and walked around I was very upset about this other hunter still. I walked for about 2 miles on the trail just spot and stalk hunting.  it was lunch time (12:00) and I then decied to walk over to a ridge and but some doe pee out. and put it all over and hunt it in the evening. I got the bottle out and put it in a few spots and looked up and noticed a nice buck. I put the scope on him and down he went. I couldnt believe what had happend, I ran to him and thought OMG a ncie 6pt and took a 2nd look and saw he had 8pts. I then ran through the woods back to where we all met up for lunch, everyone in our party of 8 had heard me shoot. They knew somthing was up when I came running in. I tryed my hardest to hold my smile but just couldnt. My dad asked what I had shot and I said lets go get my 8pt. He was just tickled. That was one of the best feelings of my life having everyone high five me and give me a pat on the back. Ill never forget my dad giving me a hug and saying you did a fine job son.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

EatDeer

RE: biggest buck

Postby EatDeer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:29 am

The buck in my avatar, was hunted 100% fair chase. He chased some doe's right past me,at 1:00 pm in the second firearms season. I shot him at 60 yards with open sights,and a 20 gauge pump action shot gun. He was measured one time at 209" B&C inches.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:30 pm

Great thread Jerry!

That is one tough act to follow EatDeer. 209", wow!

My largest buck was taken by bow, in late Nov. 2002. I was hunting an inside corner of a crop field. I spotted him feeding at about 200 yds. He began to leave the field, so I rattled once. He turned back and dissapeared into the timber. 15 minutes later, he stepped out right in front of me [8D]! Double lung at 17 yds. and I saw him fall in the cut corn.

He has 11 points for a gross of 166". His estimated live weight was about 260 lbs. Unfortunately, I had not begun saving the jawbones, so we'll never know how old he was (my guess is 4.5 yrs.).

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:19 pm

WOW JPH, That really is an amazing buck, somthing to be proud of. Im waiting for one like that to walk by my stand some day. Its hard cuz I hunt state land, but I know there are some big bucks out there. Just upsets me that most of the bucks I pass up, someone eles shoots.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:24 pm

I've only been hunting for 4 years, but I was pretty lucky with my first buck. I got him on November 19, 2006 with my brand new Savage 243. My dad and I were hunting in a big draw. We got to our stands and I chose the comfy one with a backrest and a shooting rail. I made my dad use the bad one. Anyways at 6:55 a huge buck came walking through and I nailed him at 40 yards. He turned out to be a really big 9 pointer that grossed 131 with 12 and 8 inch G-2s. He was an awesome first buck and I was pumped. I will remember that day as long as I live.
Kyle

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:34 pm

heres a pic of him!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:55 pm

I  killed this deer in Brown County, Illinois, during the second half of the firearm deer season in 2005, while stillhunting, at 40 yards. He was sniffing a doe and he dropped in his tracks.

170 B&C Typical/185 Non-Typical.........

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:27 am

JPH, thats a really nice buck!  I hope someday I can score on a buck like that with my bow too! Here is a pic of my first bow kill.

Eight_Oak_Acres

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:14 am

My biggest buck ever was taken last season on Nov. 1st. I was in a stand looking over a creek crossing to my left, and an inside corner on my right. He was chasing a doe when I first saw him, but his downfall was coming into my shooting lane to chase off a smaller buck. I let him have it at 25yds and found him about 80 yds. later. He grossed 133".

-Eric

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:51 am

That's a nice buck EOA, is that a rage exspandable wound I see?

Next

Return to General Discussions