new hunting spot

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
DeerCamp

new hunting spot

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:18 pm

so im hunting a new spot this year.. i will be hunting deer with a gun here. it is mostly marsh land. hows the best way to hunt this? i know there are some real monsters in the area. i havent really hunted marshes so im not sure what to look for how or to be ready for opening day. i will make 1 scouting trip this year before the season starts and place my stands then.  what kinda luck have you had hunting them and what do you look for other than the normal stuff such a sign.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

EatDeer

RE: new hunting spot

Postby EatDeer » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:16 am

I'd look for a pinch point on a heavily used trail. Somewhere the high ground is surrounded by the marsh. I'd also want to get in there before dark,and set all day until after dark. I bet you will shoot a monster buck if you set up down wind of the trail about 20 yards. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:58 am

scout around the whole perimiter if possible they use the swamp as bedding /rest area so you can get em coming and going.I got a nice fat doe coming out of the swamp last year.she walked right into my shooting lane and bent down to sniff the deer scent i had placed there at 20yrds the arrow went right thru her she ran uphill 50-75 yrds and dropped .
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:50 pm

As you are walking the perimeter, be on the look out for old rubs on the edge.  Once located, try to follow this rub line back from the edge a little ways.  The mature deer will tend to stage back from the edge until dark.  If you are on their trail and 50-100 yards back, you stand a great chance of catching them before light fades.  If you set up right on the edge, you might see plenty of deer, but the big one may elude you.  Also, wind, as always, must be of top priority when hunting any area for mature deer.

Return to General Discussions