will I ruin my site??

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shadow

will I ruin my site??

Postby shadow » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:06 pm

I have been walking into my hunting area about once every week and a half to refill a small deer feeder, trim a few shooting lanes and keeping some of the tall grass in one spot low. I always have on my rubber boots and attempt not to brush up against anything, or touch any brush, limbs or trees. In the past I had never used a feeder so I would not go out there until late August to clear lanes etc...
Will going into my area so often "contaminate" it and make the deer leave the property?

msbadger

RE: will I ruin my site??

Postby msbadger » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:31 pm

I'm on my property daily but try not to go during key movement times and usually during the hottest part of day when they are resting...also stop going in past mid july unless to move leaves off trail or to put in a fall plot in early august.....I find that that is when the buck around here start to move more ...locals going farther away and others coming it's the new ones I don't want to spook and doe get use to my smell so they aren't rattled by it

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:10 am

well, maybe... Mature bucks like seclusion and hate to be disturbed, if at all possible it is best to drive a four wheeler to the site, deer tend to see this as less abtrusive and will come in shortly after leaving, like a dinner bell. I have evidence of this on my property, also get a bigger feeder, a 55 gallon trash can with a whole at the bottom works great and last a while.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:53 pm

Go at midday and stop visiting a couple months before your season starts.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:58 pm

Are you planning on hunting over this feeder? If that's legal in your state... then I don't think it will matter that much if your visits are midday. I wouldn't count on mature bucks visiting the feeder during daylight, though.

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:30 pm

I plan on setting up a couple hundred yards from the feeder and mineral/salt licks I have set out. My concern was visiting the area to often, (now every 2 weeks) and leaving odor on and near the feeder. But the deer are there eating the food so I guess that will keep them on the property, which is one of the reasons I have the feeder out there. So I  guess I shouldn't  be too concerned with my visits.
Thanks for the responses.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:21 pm

You could move your feed closer to your land access point if possiable. That way when you hunt you could intercept the deer on the trails they use to go to the feeder at night,and not contaminate your hunting stand area. It's good to remember the longer you can keep the deer on your hunting property the better of your hunt will be. I'd stay away from your stand until hunting season,or the deer will just adapt and feed there at night.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

RNC

Postby RNC » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:26 am

Get in there and get done what needs to be done. Try to do it when there is less of a chance to spook deer and as the closer the season gets the less you should be there. A good month to month and a half before the season try to stay out entirely.

Return to General Discussions