Deer Taken per Hunter

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Wanderer

Deer Taken per Hunter

Postby Wanderer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:10 am

I just finished reading an article in "one of the other hunting publications" on the best states for deer hunting. Their statistics were compiled using 10 year averages of deer harvest versus 10 year average of hunter numbers. This is not for trophy deer or even for bucks, just total deer taken. I was somewhat surprised that the top 6 states were all in the southern part of the country. The top 6 states were Alabama,Georgia,Mississippi, South Carolina, Virginia, and Louisiana. Having lived in Alabama prior to moving to my present home in Indiana, I wasn't surprised to see them ranked highly. The deer gun season in AL is usually 70 plus days long and the daily limit is 2 deer. I have to assume that some of the other states listed here also have long seasons and generous bag limits. I wish that they had listed total kills and hunter numbers, but they only published the deer per hunter figures. Does anybody know of a list of states showing total kill numbers? I've been trying to find that information for awhile now. If you're interested in where your state ranked, visit http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2011/01/deer-list-fs-lists-top-whitetail-states-part-i

Gulfcapt

RE: Deer Taken per Hunter

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:01 am

Wanderer Here in Fl. you don't have to tag or report your harvest on bucks but if you shoot a doe when its not anterless season you must have a tag for her but still don't have to report her either.. Thats why they have no Idea how many deer are actually taken every year.. I believe LA. Miss. ALA. GA. are the same way and these State allow 3 bucks or better every year alone with what ever the State allows on Anterless deer! I want to say i read where Mississippi had the most deer in the United States but I will check back on my notes on that one.

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:33 am

I know that Alabama has no registration system at all for does. Since 2007 season, there is a 3 buck limit per year (used to be one buck per day) and you must carry a "buck registration tag" on your person with the date killed written on it, but there is still no formal registration. I assume, with the warmer temps, that the DNR gets deer kill numbers from deer processors in each county and than adds in a "finagle factor" for home butchered deer. The highest kill number I have heard of in Alabama was 334,000 total. That was several years ago.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:13 am

Wanderer Im not sure how they come about there #s but your probably right on track with the Deershacks, and I tried to find that other part of my comment and can't come up with it yet but the more I think of it I might be mistaken and it could be most deer per Square mile for a state. Put this was last year also but im still looking for it! I believe QDMA mag had posted it in one of their publications..

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:51 am

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

Wanderer Im not sure how they come about there #s but your probably right on track with the Deershacks, and I tried to find that other part

I was talking to one of our state biologists. I know one of the methods they use here is spotlighting at night.
Not sure of the formula used IE X deer X amount of times, X areas checked X Avaible sq miles of deer = herd size (no idea. But if they use the same formula that NOAA uses to shut down the recreational fisherman..........FL will be doomed)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

dewey

Postby dewey » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:58 am

I am still amazed that all state wildlife agencies do not require registration of the deer to keep accurate cound of the deer harvested and where they were harvested.[8|] In MN we are required to register every deer, identifying when it was harvested, what zone and it gives the MN DNR a accurate count of how many deer are harvested in the state.

Dewey
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:32 am

I'm with Dewey, I find too find it odd that in some states you aren't required to register every deer.  That being said, he in WI we ARE required to register every deer and most hunters still don't believe the DNR when the estimates come out.  They say there's over 1 million deer in the state but most hunters are still wondering where there all at!
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:10 pm

The states that don't report have no valid way of counting their total harvest.  I don't believe Texas has a way of knowing how many deer are killed and therefore we don't report it. 

But, I can tell you that in an average year about 3 million licenses are sold.  Considering almost a 100% success ratio here and the liberal limits and seasons (no one has a more liberal one), it stands to reason that we have the most deer killed by the most hunters.  And probably the highest success ratio.

Sucks when you can bait and kill deer for 5 months with a virtually unlimited number of tags. [;)]

Really, when it comes to hunting and hunting success.... Texas shouldn't be included with the rest of the states.  It just ain't "fair".  [:D]

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:42 pm

LMAO You are so right Sailfish!! I have been to countless National Marine fisheries Meetings in the past all over the gulfcoast trying to help plead a point that their methods of retreiving info on the fisheries are crap!!! I like your reply tho...... lolol
ORIGINAL: Sailfish

ORIGINAL: Gulfcapt

Wanderer Im not sure how they come about there #s but your probably right on track with the Deershacks, and I tried to find that other part

I was talking to one of our state biologists. I know one of the methods they use here is spotlighting at night.
Not sure of the formula used IE X deer X amount of times, X areas checked X Avaible sq miles of deer = herd size (no idea. But if they use the same formula that NOAA uses to shut down the recreational fisherman..........FL will be doomed)

Return to General Discussions