Fog and Deer Hunting

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Ifishandhunt

Fog and Deer Hunting

Postby Ifishandhunt » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Is deer hunting normally slow on foggy days? It looked like a nice scary woods from an Edgar Allen Poe story and seemed perfect for bucks to travel, but this mornings hunt makes me wonder if fog keeps the deer from moving a lot:

This morning I took my son out to the woods for the opening of Youth gun weekend. It was very foggy. We did not see a deer the whole time we sat. It was the first day I've been skunked all season. We couldn't see more that 40-50 yards around us. That lasted from about first-light through 10:00am. We had to leave by 10:45 for some previous planned event so by that time  the fog lightened up and visibility was a lot better. We heard noises in the woods but could never see anything so we are not sure it what it was. The temp was around 31 degrees when we arrived and warmed up maybe 10 degrees by the time we were ready to leave. Other than that, all we could see and hear was the water melting off the trees as the temperature rose and the light icing on the tree branches melted.

shaman

RE: Fog and Deer Hunting

Postby shaman » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:39 pm

I just got in.  We had fog this morning.  All I can say is that it depends.  On what?  I dunno.  Sometimes we have deep fog.  In fact I've been less than a 1/4 mile from the house and gotten turned around.  Sometimes the deer move in it and sometimes they don't. 

This morning?  We had fairly light fog.  The deer moved at sunrise, but I really didn't see action in my area until about 0900.  By that time the fog had burned off and we had bright sun.  Go figure.

BTW:  I bagged a nice doe this morning. I Whelenized her out of a herd of 7.
 More on that later.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:42 pm

We never saw the sun which probably explains why it didn't burn off quick. It just seemed odd not to see any activity.

Congrats on the doe! Looking forward to hearing the Whelenized deer story. Sounds good!

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:06 am

now that you mention it I seem disappointed with deer movement almost everytime it is foggy...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

cdn1

Postby cdn1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:15 am

I have always felt... that bigger bucks feel alittle bit more comfortable moving around when it's foggy. From an aspect that it would be easier for them to go undetected in open spaces.

Although my hunting experiences dont really indicate that. I think I see more deer when it's a bright, sunny, cold and high pressure kinda day. Either that or i just can't see them through the fog [:D]

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:11 pm

BTW:  Here's some fog down where Dead Skunk empties out into Hootin' Holler. I have a stand somewhere out there on the right hand side.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

deerslayer333

Postby deerslayer333 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Fog does seem to hinder deer movement but probably more for the same reson you pointed out that you can't see very far. Hey Ifishandhunt have you been seeing alot of rutting activity in Ohio. I've seen more the first two weeks of Nov. versus the 15th till now which is when I took off work. I've been hunting around Columbus and Hocking State Forest but I'm not seeing anythying. I hope the week of Thanksgiving will bring me some luck. What do you think?
One shot, one kill. Semper Fi.

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi Deerslayer333.
Good question. It actually crossed my mind this afternoon that maybe the rut was earlier this month because for two days now my son and I haven't seen any activity that would indicate there was a rut on. However last weekend I saw a couple bucks running around in late afternoon. The property owner told me today that she was seeing this one monster buck the last couple weeks. So I dunno, it is really weird right now. I am seeing very little activity with both does and bucks. I am taking Wednesday off from work, so I'll have Wednesday, Friday and Saturday to hunt and hopefully I'll see more activity. Then I also have Monday, November 29th off from work for Shotgun opener. Somethings gotta give!

My buddy killed a huge 8-point (no brow tines) on Monday down by Hocking Hills and our friend hunting with him shot a 10-point on the same property the day before. They said the bucks were running the does. My other buddy shot a 12 pointer last week too. Most of the buck kills I heard happened last week. The other thing about the past couple weeks is that the weather was cooler, so maybe that had them moving more.

Good luck to ya!

deerslayer333

Postby deerslayer333 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:54 pm

Well my luck finally changed. I went hunting on the 22nd at a new spot in Hocking Hills country and shot a doe and saw two bucks within a half hour of taking the doe but didn't get a shot, so I'm hoping I didn't take out the only estrous doe in the area! I'll go back again after Thanksgiving and try to get one of those bucks. Thanks for the info Ifishandhunt. Good luck and good hunting.
One shot, one kill. Semper Fi.

Ifishandhunt

Postby Ifishandhunt » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:58 pm

Congrats on the doe! Good luck on the bucks!

Return to General Discussions