D&DH Sept. Issue: Wow...

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
USN_Sam1385

D&DH Sept. Issue: Wow...

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:10 am

It never ceases to amaze me the things that companies get away with selling. They aren't doing anyting wrong, but so much of these things are just repackaged things that you can find at home, your local grocery store, or your local hardware store.

Presentation is key...

Anyhow, on page 29 there is an ad for Nose Jammer Spray: "Wrong wind? No problem."

It 'uses Vanillin and other organic compounds' to block the deers olfactory senses.

Well, my suspicions were correct after I researched what vanillin is.

"Vanillin is a phenolic aldehyde, an organic compound with the molecular formula C8H8O3. Its functional groups include aldehyde, ether, and phenol. It is the primary component of the extract of the vanilla bean. It is also found in roasted coffee[1] and the Chinese red pine. Synthetic vanillin, instead of natural vanilla extract, is sometimes used as a flavoring agent in foods, beverages, and pharmaceuticals."

In a nut shell: Vanillin is just VANILLA EXTRACT!! 99 cents at the grocery store for a whole bottle of the stuff.

For years my buddies and I have used vanilla extract as an attractant/cover scent around our stands, on the wise advice of my hunting partner's grandfather. It has always seemed to work pretty well.

Looks like someone has harnessed that and is now selling it for $10 a can: ONE TIME use.

Save the money boys and scoop up a bottle of imitation vanilla extract.
"You can overdo anything."

Woods Walker

Re: D&DH Sept. Issue: Wow...

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:53 pm

The STILL #1 P&Y whitetail in the world, was killed by Mel Johnson of Peoria, Illinois in 1963. Mel Johnson has stated that he was using VANILLA EXTRACT as lure, which he had frequently done on other hunts.

Who'd a thunk it?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:47 pm

Hmm strange.. I didnt know Mel used that on that buck. Nevertheless I've never heard of anyone doing this for deer.. I have used it while bear hunting, and had some luck with bears but never deer.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

bobow

Postby bobow » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:30 am

DeerCamp wrote:Hmm strange.. I didnt know Mel used that on that buck. Nevertheless I've never heard of anyone doing this for deer.. I have used it while bear hunting, and had some luck with bears but never deer.

A couple of years ago I tried some kind of hot buck lure. After opening and getting a whiff, it smelled like vanilla extract. Me thinks I bought a bottle of snake oil :o
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:13 am

Woods Walker wrote:The STILL #1 P&Y whitetail in the world, was killed by Mel Johnson of Peoria, Illinois in 1963. Mel Johnson has stated that he was using VANILLA EXTRACT as lure, which he had frequently done on other hunts.

Hey W.W. have you ever tried vanilla extract? If not, have any thoughts of trying it? I'm thinking on it.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:51 pm

No, that's one I haven't tried, but I've considered it. In fact, if I were still treestand hunting I probably would have, but the last 6 or 7 years I stillhunt most all the time, and try to make as little notice of my presence as possible.

I do believe that it's like anything else as far as deer go. As soon as more people start to use it, then the more deer will begin to associate it with humans, and then the deal is off. Fox urine was like that a couple of decades ago. It was the "hot" cover scent of the time, and it worked until everyone started using it, and then the deer would become alarmed when they smelled it.

Give it a try though, it's still unknown enough that it may work great!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

MZS

Postby MZS » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Vanilla extract? Wow, I have a TON of this stuff sitting around as we have friends from Mexico that give big bottles (the real good stuff) to us. I will put a bunch out to test it. I am sure they also add a few other things just to give it an edge over plain old extract, but perhaps not much of an edge.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:37 pm

MZS wrote:Vanilla extract? Wow, I have a TON of this stuff sitting around as we have friends from Mexico that give big bottles (the real good stuff) to us. I will put a bunch out to test it. I am sure they also add a few other things just to give it an edge over plain old extract, but perhaps not much of an edge.

Just as a side note.....there's a spice that Mexican people use which came from Spain originally called safaron, or "azafron" in spanish, which gives the yellow color and distinctive taste to rice and other foods, and is the primary spice in the Spanish seafood dish "paella". Safaron grains are actually dried flower stamens from the VANILLA PLANT. My mother used to make that dish, and the safaron she would get was outrageously expensive. Fortunately, if the safaron is of high quality you only need 2 or 3 GRAINS to flavor a whole stewpot of paella!

So as the late, great, Paul Harvey used to say....."And now you know, the REST of the story!"
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:28 am

You know, sometimes deer are just inquisitive enought to check out different smells or scents. Once, many years ago in Mich. I dug a pit blind. The next day when I went there, there were deer tracks all over the fresh dirt. It seemed to me that they were curious about the fresh earth. I'm guessing that is where the Earth Wafer idea came from. I have, taken a frozen can of apple juice, poked a small hole in it and hung it in a tree for a slow drip. It did attract deer. But, all in all I'm guessing a big wise mature buck is not going to be so inclined to be so inquisitive.

Yes WW they do learn to associate things with humans. I've seen bucks that get rattle shy and will only come in down wind. I'm guessing he winded enough people and or got shot at and missed or a non fatal wound. These big guys get to be big by many lessons learned.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:09 am

"Yes WW they do learn to associate things with humans. I've seen bucks that get rattle shy and will only come in down wind. I'm guessing he winded enough people and or got shot at and missed or a non fatal wound. These big guys get to be big by many lessons "

You are right about that! And it's not only the big guys either. This one place I bowhunt has numerous stands of all sorts on the 500 acres. There's never more than 5 or 6 of us hunting at any one time, but even with that I started seeing all kinds of deer that as soon as they'd enter a woods, they'd start looking UP! That was one of the reasons why I started ground hunting. They literally don't expect to see a hunter anywhere but up!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Next

Return to General Discussions