squirrel hunting as a polisher for deer season.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
kellory

Re: squirrel hunting as a polisher for deer season.

Postby kellory » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:37 am

A hunter's wife just gave me a recipe for squirrel dumplings. But since she seems interested in this site, I will see if she wishes to be the one to post it. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:39 pm

If you have a vacuum sealer try this:

If you plan on freezing your squirrel to eat later, cover with your marinade and seal up with a vacuum sealer. Let it sit in the fridge for a day, then put it in the freezer. When you want it, just pull it out to defrost and take it directly to the grill when you're ready to cook. I did this with a squirrel I shot last year. Had it just a few weeks ago and it was delicious!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Squirrel gravy. It doesn't get any better...
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

RyanCGrover47

Postby RyanCGrover47 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:45 pm

The past few times I've been out, I've shot squirrels with this kind of grub-like thing in them, underneath their skin. Are they still good to eat with these in them? I've been ditching them because I don't want to risk it until I know more.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Those squirrels have Squirrel Bot Fly larvae under their hide. Here is a website on 'em. http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creature ... ot_fly.htm Most squirrel seasons are set to start after the larva drop off the host. They sure look nasty, but do not affect the meat.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:20 am

Kellory,
I thought that I was the only person in the world who uses a Glenfield 60 to hunt squirrels. Mine was found leaning against the wall in an old barn in Alabama. The guy who found it traded it to me for a $19.00 fishing reel. The outside of the barrel is so pitted that you can file your nails on it while you wait for a squirrel to show up, but the bore is spotless and it outshoots my 10/22 by a mile. I bought a Tasco 3-9 for it a couple of years ago and it is wonderful. And...you don't have to worry if you get caught in the rain 'cause the finish of the gun is already ruined.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:29 am

Sorry to shatter your illusion, but with 12 million made, and several versions, it was bound to happen. My coworker has one identical to mine. 17 shots, squirrel on the stock, and screws to field strip(not pushpins) the origonal scope may have seen it's last day in the field though. A good cleaning, and oiling, and rain will not matter either.;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

RyanCGrover47

Postby RyanCGrover47 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Cut N Run wrote:Those squirrels have Squirrel Bot Fly larvae under their hide. Here is a website on 'em. http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creature ... ot_fly.htm Most squirrel seasons are set to start after the larva drop off the host. They sure look nasty, but do not affect the meat.

Jim

Thanks for the help. Are these the same grub-like things I find in rabbits sometimes also?

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Wanderer wrote:Kellory,
I thought that I was the only person in the world who uses a Glenfield 60 to hunt squirrels. Mine was found leaning against the wall in an old barn in Alabama. The guy who found it traded it to me for a $19.00 fishing reel. The outside of the barrel is so pitted that you can file your nails on it while you wait for a squirrel to show up, but the bore is spotless and it outshoots my 10/22 by a mile. I bought a Tasco 3-9 for it a couple of years ago and it is wonderful. And...you don't have to worry if you get caught in the rain 'cause the finish of the gun is already ruined.

Wanderer, This is what they are supposed to look like. ;)
Glenfield model 60 (B).jpg
Glenfield model 60 (B).jpg (387.54 KiB) Viewed 567 times

By the way, the shaft of a Easton2117 aluminum arrow is the perfect size for a speed loader, using the nock end for the point of the .22 bullets, and a rubber pencil erasure to cap the open end.
My 17th shell is flush with the end of the tube. ;)
Attachments
Glenfield model 60 (A).jpg
Glenfield model 60 (A).jpg (294.85 KiB) Viewed 567 times
Glenfield model 60 (C).jpg
Glenfield model 60 (C).jpg (413.27 KiB) Viewed 567 times

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:02 pm

DSCN5041_20.jpg
DSCN5041_20.jpg (209.26 KiB) Viewed 555 times
DSCN5050_20.jpg
DSCN5050_20.jpg (195.52 KiB) Viewed 555 times
Kellory,
Nice lookin' rifle.
Mine has no sling swivels, no front sight, and the blueing sucks, but the squirrels can't feel the difference when their head explodes

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions