Shooting a Doe w/ young ones in the fall

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
justincasei812

Shooting a Doe w/ young ones in the fall

Postby justincasei812 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:53 am

Actually put this up in another section but looking for some additional thoughts.

Not sure what to do. I have recently taken up bow hunting after a several year hiatus and I am not sure about shooting does with young ones in tow. I have passed up several doe because of this and I am not sure if the young ones will survive the winter if I did. I hunt in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and the winters can be harsh. I would rather see the doe and her young walk and hopefully make it through the winter if the wolves or weather don't get them rather than shooting the doe and making it impossible for the younger one(s) to survive.

I don't have a problem shooting the doe as long as the fawns have a chance at survival without her. I don't want to shoot one deer and kill two or three while doing it. That is just a waste. Would rather have the doe walk to ensure the hopeful survival of the younger ones. Otherwise it is meat in the freezer.

What would you do or thoughts?

ChasePhase

Re: Shooting a Doe w/ young ones in the fall

Postby ChasePhase » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:10 am

Guys have been filling the freezer with does for many years. Remember, they are deer and are biologically programmed for survival. Know has to teach them about the bird and the bees, or to make a rub or eat when they are hungry.

I have been watching an orphan fawn that was discovered on Memorial Day weekend. Thought for sure the local coyotes would be feasting on this bleating fawn that kept crying for the mother that left it. Thing was a wobbly legged new born. (This is a county park but i hear and see coyotes all the time.)

I spotted that yearling several times over this past summer. I work in the park. Saw it again the other night at dusk. it spotted me and acted like other deer; cautious and alert.

No idea why it was abandoned but I am very sure that is is the same deer from Memorial Day Weekend.

Point is, fill the freezer if you have the chance. Even if the wolves get the young, that is just nature.
http://NYHuntClub.com
or Facebook us

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:14 am

Here in Missouri and Kansas - fawns with does this time of year will most likely survive the winter with little difficulty.

I personally do not shoot does that have fawns in trail, but that is just me. I am not an avid fan of venison so putting meat in the freezer is not my top priority. Most of what I shoot goes to Share the Harvest, so I have no driving desire to put something on the ground.

Plus, shooting does provides no real challenge, I can go out most evenings on our Missouri farm and shoot a doe with little difficulty, so why shoot one with fawns?
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Joel Spring

Postby Joel Spring » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:02 am

I hear a lot of guys who don't like shooting does say that it's no challenge. That's a lot like squirrel hunters who see lots of deer saying that deer are no challenge....Sure, in most areas there are more does available than bucks, but I've been busted by wary does far more often than bucks. Trying to kill a doe (especially with archery equipment) is technically as difficult as killing a buck, and more difficult than some bucks, in my estimation.

That said, I don't try to kill does with very small fawns in tow. However, if it's the end of the season and the fawns look big and healthy, I've taken several older does that way, with gun, bow, and muzzleloader.

I DO like the venison, and although I've been hunting for a very long time, I'm still thrilled with any deer that I kill.
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:20 am

I do not mind shooting does - I always try to take 2-3 every year, but only with a bow or muzzle loader. And I suppose technically from a shooting standpoint the challenge of shooting a doe or buck is equal, but to me the challenge comes from putting myself in the postion of shooting a deer. With does, I can pretty much put myself in any stand on our property and have an opportunity to shoot one - most any day. With bucks, not so much, they make themselves more scarce, consequently more of a challenge to hunt. And with APR's we cannot shoot just any buck, so the challenge is even greater.

I know other people's situations are different than mine so I am making no judgement on what other people do, only saying what works right for me.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Do the fawns have a chance of surving if you shoot the doe, I'm sure, do they have a better chance if there mother is alive, yes.

Does it stop me from shooting a doe that has fawns for meat, not one bit. If there's a dry doe and a doe with two fawns, I'll shoot the dry doe.

I've also shot doe fawns during rifle season or late bow season when they're 75-100lbs, IMO it's the best meat that you can get from any source, including the grocery store.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Agree with most of what the others have posted. Biologically, the fawns are able to be on their own. I also suspect that many fawns who are orphaned for whatever reason, take up residence with other doe/daughter/sister groups. In any event, fawns are equipped to survive on their own by the time fall rolls around.

That said, I believe you should do what YOU feel is right for YOU. If you sleep better at night letting does with fawns walk, good for you. Wait for that solitary doe to shoot if you please. That might be what makes sense to you. Emotions enter into hunting, and that fact is nothing to be afraid of or to avoid.

Best of luck.

Jimbo

frank8871

Postby frank8871 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Joel Spring wrote:I

I DO like the venison, and although I've been hunting for a very long time, I'm still thrilled with any deer that I kill.

Two thumbs up on that!!

Joel Spring

Postby Joel Spring » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:23 pm

That said, I believe you should do what YOU feel is right for YOU. If you sleep better at night letting does with fawns walk, good for you. Wait for that solitary doe to shoot if you please. That might be what makes sense to you. Emotions enter into hunting, and that fact is nothing to be afraid of or to avoid.

Great post! That's one of the things that's so great about hunting, that you can follow your own lead when it comes to the decision to take or not take a deer. It's a great feeling to let them walk, sometimes, while other times the excitement comes in the form of taking the shot.
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:30 am

Let me just throw another angle at this, by telling you about Madge. Back in 2004, I blew away the lead doe out of a group of about 5. The next in line was a young doe that just could not get it through her head that Big Momma had taken a dirt nap. My son and I got down from the stand and chased her away. The next year, a somewhat wary doe watched as my son borrowed my muzzleloader to ace a button buck from the same stand.

From that point on, we had trouble. We called her Madge. Madge would arrive well ahead of the rest of the doe in her group, scrutinize our stand and go to great lengths to stamp and snort from the safety of a large bush as a warning to the others. The rest of her crew usually paid no attention to her and would just go on eating acorns. We were not able to take another deer from that stand until 2009, the first year Madge didn't show up for the Youth Opener.

I suspect that Madge was the #2 deer in 2004. I think she was the momma deer in 2005 that watched us kill her son. From then on we had a crazy deer on a mission. Some times she would come by our other stands too. You knew Madge, because she just would not let up. Sometimes she'd take a post somewhere close by and safe and make racket for half an hour. She definitely knew what was going on

My point is this: If you shoot either one of a doe-fawn pair, be ready for future trouble. If either survives, that one is surely going to know what's going on.

In a similar vein, I can't wait to see what happens with the little doe that kept coming by my stand last year. In one instance I could swear she deliberately led a nice buck past my stand to get him off her tail. In another, after I had bagged a big buck , she came over and examined the carcass and then went over and bedded next to my stand and the pile of gear I had left while I tended to the buck out in the field.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to General Discussions