What do you remember about your first deer?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Joel Spring

Re: What do you remember about your first deer?

Postby Joel Spring » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:04 am

Mostly, I remember that I did everything wrong. I was walking into my treestand in an orchard. I had camo on, with white sneakers....figuring it wouldn't matter up in the tree. On the way to the stand, I spotted a small deer under an apple tree. Not knowing that it probably couldn't be done, I put a bush between the deer and I and started crawling toward it on all fours. Every time I rustled the grass & leaves, the deer would look at me. I let him know that I was okay by letting out LOUD grunts on a grunt tube until he went back to eating apples. Once fifteen yards from the deer, I reared up from behind the bush, and let the arrow fly. The shot was too far back, but sliced the pyloric artery -- and he tipped over and died right in front of me. Thought it was a doe, but turned out to be a button buck. I just stood there, and couldn't believe how easy bowhunting was! That was 23 years ago. I have since learned much, but may have been a bit better hunter back then because I didn't know the rules....

Joel
Joel Spring
Longtime Deer & Deer Hunting Contributor
ruabirddog@aol.com

Oletrapper

Postby Oletrapper » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:00 am

My took my first deer at Ft. Campbell Kentucky. Nice 6 point buck. The year was 1960. Ft. Campbell only allows shotgun slugs. I was up in big oak tree straddling a huge limb. Just as I pulled the trigger my body shifted and I thought I missed it. It ran about 60 yards and collapsed. I gut shot it. When I field dressed it, everything inside was just liquid. I opened it up and then turned and threw up. Never smelled anything that rank in my entire life. It ate good and I had it mounted. Still on the wall here in the office. I remember the hunt like it was yesterday. OT
(reduced)My first buck.jpg
(reduced)My first buck.jpg (27.24 KiB) Viewed 382 times
Life Member: NRA,UTK,FTA,LKS,NWF
Annual Sponsor: QU,DU,NWTF

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:34 pm

Oletrapper you are correct about the smell of a gut shot deer...very bad. I gut shot a deer one time and thought that I could salvage the tenderloins if I washed it well. One day I thawed it and fired it up on the grill. Sauted mushrooms and onions to go with it. It had the fine bouquet taste of SH&#@T. I can still taste it.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

mnslayer

Postby mnslayer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Although I put down many deer the groups I hunted with had shot it took 15 years for me to shoot my first deer. Took a doe from 60 yards dropped in its tracks and broke the curse have not gone without a deer since.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:58 pm

Everything.
"You can overdo anything."

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:22 am

My father didn't hunt and I didn't have a hunting mentor, but I wanted to know as much about deer hunting as I could find out. I had been hunting with friends in high school a few times, but we saw nothing or only jumped deer. Two years later, I lived near a big area of public hunting land that had a good population of deer on it. I decided to walk every trail through every piece of cover I could find to try to understand what made the deer go where they went. I had been bowhunting hard for 3 years and had missed several does with my Bear grizzly recurve shooting cedar shafted arrows. So close, but so far.

I decided to hang my Baker stand (right when they first came out) in one of the more open areas that was an old grown-up field in the woods with decent sized trees growing throughout it. I saw sign & trails there that just felt right and it looked like my best option of all the places I'd been. My Baker stand didn't have a seat on it, so I sat cross-legged on the platform. It was colder than it should have been for that time of year & I remember shivering hard under my surplus army coat waiting for the frost to melt off everything. About 10 AM, my legs were asleep and I was thinking about stretching them, when movement below my tree stopped me. It was a doe stretching up to reach some honeysuckle growing on the tree beside mine and her eyes were directly on me as she ate. My heart kicked into overdrive and my mind was freaking out, but I held still. I was expecting her to blow and vanish any second. Soon several other does & fawns were filtering through the area. Once the lead doe passed through they seemed more relaxed about moving into the open edge of the old field.

I put the crosshairs of my new .308 on the base of the lead doe's skull, but held the shot, because does weren't legal to take during gun season back then. I was waiting for a buck. As the does stepped back into the cover and browsed along, I looked to my right and sure enough, a buck was walking parallel downwind to the doe's trail about 50 yards from me with his head down. I waited for him to clear some limbs and give a perfect broadside shot. I let the rifle loose and the recoil took my view off the deer. The buck disappeared behind the honeysuckle uphill of me. I feared I missed. I struggled to get to my feet without falling off the stand & had to get some feeling back into my legs first before going back down the tree. When I got to the ground, as I slung my rifle onto my shoulder and it hit the hand climber, putting a small dent into the pistolgrip of the riflestock.

I walked to where the buck had been standing and there was no blood & no hair. I felt sick. I could see where his hooves had dug in and looked up in the direction they were pointing. There lay a 7 point buck. I let out a war whoop that I could hear echo across the countryside. I field dressed the deer and drug him out by the side of the road. I had slept on the porch of an abandoned farmhouse the night before that was much closer to my hunting location than the house I was renting about 3 miles away because I didn't want to be hot & sweatty from a long walk on the way to the stand. Nor, did I want to park my vehicle near where I was hunting to give the spot away to other hunters. Just as I got to the road, a friend's uncle saw me & stopped to ask if i'd seen anything. He seemed almost as delighted at the buck as I was and offered to give me a ride back to my place.

Everytime I look at the dent in the pistolgrip of my .308, I think of that deer, of that day, and how long it took to succeed on my first deer.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

HunterGirl

Postby HunterGirl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:30 am

I remember my first deer like it was yesterday. It was December 3, 2005. The previous year my husband (then boyfriend) had taken me hunting with him just to watch and see if I liked it. I did, so the next fall, I took the hunter education course, practiced with the 7mm08 that he designated me to use, and was ready as ever. We sat on this big rock overlooking a nice trail down below. Probably an hour after daylight, I could hear some deer coming on the trail. I could feel my heart pounding in my ears. I slipped my right glove off so I could shoot. We had gotten set up so I could shoot one on the way to us, and I had everything situated just right. The deer didn't buy into our plan however, as two does came down the trail and stopped facing straight toward us. I couldn't move since they were staring us down, and I remember trying to hold my breath so they wouldn't see the steam in the cold air. After what seemed like forever, they kept walking, past us now. I had to turn all they way around backwards, and was trying to find them in the scope, holding the rifle free-hand since my rest and comfortable position were long gone. The does stopped again a little past us on the trail, and the first one was looking our way again, stomping her foot. My arm was going crazy since I had been holding the heavy gun for so long. I knew they were about to run, and figured it was now or never. The plan was for josh to tell me when to shoot, and he says he was getting ready to tell me to go ahead and shoot, when boom! I fired, surprised the heck out of him since I shot before he told me to. The doe dropped right there, kicked once or twice, and was still. The other one ran off. I could see the deer lying there, but was convinced that maybe I just scared it or something, and kept asking josh over and over, are you sure it's dead? Are you sure it's not going to get up? He kept assuring me that no, it's dead, I got my deer. We waited a couple minutes before going to get it, and I was totally in awe, and so proud of myself. I know that millions of people have shot a doe in their life, but ten deer later, I still count it as one of my favorites, and one of my best accomplishments to that point. I also remember standing around at the old abandoned house where everyone parked, and out of all the experienced, big tough dudes, I (the only girl) was the only one who shot a deer that morning. I think they were all wondering what I was doing there in the first place, but then were at least a little impressed when I came back with a deer. I was grinning like a fool when I went to check it in. You would have thought I got the new world record buck. I was happy as could be and will never ever forget that feeling!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:14 pm

That is wasn't the deer I was aiming at. :o
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

largemouth19

Postby largemouth19 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:47 pm

EVERYTHING!!! From start to finish I remember every moment like it happened yesterday. But one thing that I never understood was how I felt. I was happy that it was one shot and the deer dropped dead where it stood. But about actually "getting" a deer I didn't jump up and down, I didn't scream or feel fulfilled, it was like I had never even shot it. I don't know if it was because I thought it was a small spike (turned out to be a 10pt, first deer ever and I shoot a 10pt, ha) or because it was in a state other than where I live or what.

The only thing I know at this point is that if I only shoot one buck ever again, rest of my life, I want to shoot one in my home state, Michigan, that is equal to or bigger than the one I shot in Maryland. That's it, I never have to see a buck again if I do that.

KCguy

Postby KCguy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:22 pm

My first deer (gun hunting) was my first year hunting. We always did deer drives. They put me on a vehicle trail and told me to keep watching to the north because the deer will cross the trail. Well, they all crossed except one. That last one decided to run down the trail towards me full speed. I was shaking a little bit...lol. I raised the 12 gauge and by the time I got the sights on him, he was less than 20 yards from me when I squeezed the trigger. The deer did a nose dive and skidded to a stop at my feet. That deer sported a nice 9 point basket rack, 19 inch inside spread and tip to tip only 1.5 inches. Everybody in the hunting party kept congratulating me for tagging a big buck, all I could say back to them was it was self defense because he was trying to run me over...lol.

Matt

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions