What do you remember about your first deer?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Big Horse

Re: What do you remember about your first deer?

Postby Big Horse » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:56 am

I was a dumb 15 year old kid in 1984. I was sitting in a homemade wooden stand when a button buck snuck in behind me and stopped directly below my stand. Like a dumb 15 year old kid I reached the shotgun out over the front of the stand and without using the sights, I pulled the trigger. By nothing more than shear luck, I blew one of the buttons right of that little bucks head. He dropped in his tracks.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Memories of my first deer?

A cold December morning. Being under-dressed but young enough to not care. The grey outline of a deer crossing the hardwood ridge at first light. The sound of oak leaves swishing. My heart pounding in my ears. The flash of the muzzle. The crash of the big doe falling just out of sight. Looking down on her as she quietly breathed her last. Trembling hands. Mixed emotions.

...just to name a few.

MIhunt

Postby MIhunt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:43 pm

It was November 12, 2010. I had been hunting for 3 years and i had just seen my first deer about a week before. It was a doe i had shot and missed and ill i can remember is shaking ATON. It was my first time hunting alone and i had to make sure my dad heard i shot so i texted him almost dropping my phone from shaking. A thiry yard shot and i missed...depressing for a 13 year old. But we had gone out 6 days after for a late morning hunt. We got out about 1 hr after legal. We had sat for about 1 hr and were going to go to breakfast in about 30 min. This time my dad sat with me and he told me that there was a small deer to the left of me and made sure i took the crossbow off of safety. He took about 30 seconds to walk in and felt more like 30 minutes. He came in about fifteen yards i stopped him and before i knew it i shot. He ran of and i remember thinking i hit him in the shoulder because i saw the wound. We heard him run and about 20 seconds later we heard him fall and the first thing my dad did was look at me and smile. We got up after 5 minutes and found the bolt covered in blood. We waited for 30 more minutes and got on the trail. It started of good and after about 25 yards it looked like someone was dumping paint buckets. We found him dead 40 yards from the shot with his leg bent, he obviously died running. He was a small 3 pt but it felt like a world record buck to me. I was using a barnett wildcat c5 crossbow, with NAP spitfire XP pro broadheads and carbon express bolts. It was the greatest feeling and i cant wait to get #2!!! sorry its long, just that one of the greatest moments of my life is a story i love to tell. :D

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:57 pm

You did just fine! :) We like the story, not just the facts. Congratulations on your first deer, and good luck with the next! I also like the barnett crossbows, mine is a Barnett demon take-down model. Some people think the trigger pull is too hard, but it works for me. Don't be afraid of asking questions, this is a friendly place, and an excelent source of knowledge. Well done!
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

MIhunt

Postby MIhunt » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:25 pm

i actually like the longer trigger pull. Im actually able to shot with thick gloves on

LaCatahoula

Postby LaCatahoula » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:02 am

I can remember that day like yesterday. I was 11 and sick as a dog that day. I coughed with every breath I took. There were lots of ducks flying that cold overcast January morning. I was hunting with my dad on a old tram road and was counting ducks as they flew over. I was on number 29 when my dad said look at the deer. A doe crossed the tram about 100 yards from us. He said shes hot come on there will be a buck behind her. I really thought he was full of it but we hurried down the tram. As soon as we got to were she crossed my dad said "do you hear him?" I didn't hear anything but my dad could hear the buck grunting behind her. I remember trying so hard not to cough. I remeber how excited I was when I saw the buck comming. I remeber telling my dad "he's big". My dad told wait until I tell you to shoot. When he got about 10 yards away my dad said "shoot him".I put the bead of my Steves 16 gauge right behind his shoulder and pulled. He ran like I never touched him I almost wanted to cry. My dad told me be very quiet. He said I heard him go down. We walked about 75-100 yards in the waist deep water of the cypress swamp and there he was. I dont know who was prouder of that 165lb 6 point me or my dad. I can't wait for that day with my son.

Woodcutter4x4

Postby Woodcutter4x4 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:33 am

first deer came the second year i was able to hunt,17 years old,NY's legal age was 16 at the time.Had my grand fathers model 31 16gauge in hand(no sling)
As a family tradition everyone had to kill there first deer with the 16 before moving on to what ever gun you wanted to use,Well opening day was upon us and it was a rather warm day,I basically looked like a orange snow man in the woods with orange bibs/jacket on.Dads rules i guess.sat from dark til 930am finally stood up to relieve myself,sit back down and i see movement coming tward me,3 does,there on a fast trot lead doe gets to about 25 yards away(gramps always told me if the deer are coming tward you let them get as close as possible.)she stops and i see shes the biggest of the 3,i dont even remember taking the safety off,heard the crack of the report and watched the 2 little ones run off,still with the bead on them and then i notice the lead doe never ran,she fell in her tracks,i run up to her with gun on her the whole time,and watch as she takes the last few breaths and her eyes change from black to that pearl/blue.dad comes over as he was only 200 yards away and im standing there basically doing the boot skooting boogie in the woods LOL.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:27 am

And I'll bet you dimes to doughnuts that it was your Dad's best hunt too.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

want2hunt

Postby want2hunt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:49 pm

My first deer was 10/23/2010 at about 8:00 am. It was the first day of Minnesota's early antlerless season. I was 28 years old and it was my 4th year hunting.

I met at my uncle's house Friday and picked out a spot we thought would be good and setup my climber. Saturday morning I met at his house and we walked out to our stands together, I climbed my tree as quiet as possible.

At about 8:00 I saw movement and picked out a deer's leg on the other side of some pines 30 yards away. I slowly lifted my shotgun, aimed, and waited. after what felt like hours (probably 1-2 minutes) 2 deer walked out from the pines closer to me. I knew both were does but don't remember judging size of either, I shot the 1st at about 15 yards and she dropped in her tracks. The part I remember most is after the shot sitting in my stand shaking trying to catch my breath. My uncle was also able to connect on another doe that Sunday and end a 5 year slump of his own.

My biggest regret was not getting very good pictures of either us or the deer, although I don't think it's something I'll ever forget.

Brian
-Brian

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:56 am

I'm not sure of exactly what year it was, but I think it was 1965. Three of us were hunting a farm in Waupaca County Wisconsin. Two of us had misses on deer earlier in the day, so we both shot at a piece of paper tacked to a pine tree. I'm not sure what that accomplished as I was shooting an Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge with a 30 inch full choke vent rib barrel. There were no sights on it to adjust. As we looked at our "hits" on the tree, we heard a barbed wire fence squeak, then saw a large 8 point and a huge doe running through the adjacent field about 60 yards from us. The deer were on our left and I was closest to that side of the tree , so I up and took a shot at the buck (who was running in front of the doe). I hit the doe behind her left ear and the slug came out her right eyeball. She did a double gainer and landed on her back with her feet straight up in the air. The other two guys said "Holy S**t!! What a shot!". I mumbled something about always shooting for the head so as to not mess up the meat. I added that I thought does tasted better than bucks,too. No way was I going to admit to hitting 15 feet behind where I was aiming. I hope those two guys aren't here on the forum somewhere or I'm busted for sure.
Dale and Mike, I'm sorry for lying about that for all these years.
That doe, by the way, field dressed at 163#.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions