What do you remember about your first deer?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
avluey

Re: What do you remember about your first deer?

Postby avluey » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:03 am

Wanderer - you owe me a new keyboard! Tons of great stories on here.

My first hunt was 5 years ago. My wife had just given birth to our second child in Colorado (we lived in Hawaii at the time) so we all went up to stay with her parents in Wyoming for a few weeks until we were comfortable flying her across the Pacific. My wife's dad invited me to go elk hunting with him and I jumped at the chance. I grew up in Ohio with great hunting all around, but my parents were divorced and I never had anyone to take me hunting. Anyway, with not a single bit of gear my own except my socks and long underwear, I headed out to hunt elk with my father-in-law's 30.06. He had not hunted with that rifle for many years but thought the scope was probably still pretty close to zeroed. Anyway, after several days of busting timber and really enjoying the hell out of hiking around the mountains - I had seen many impressive mule deer and had jumped several elk, one of which was a 5x5 that one of the sitters in our party got - it was my turn to get set up to sit while my father in law and two other guys pushed timber. He set me up in one of his favorite spots on a bare ridgeline and perfectly predicted where the elk would most likely run out of the timber and what route they would take across the ridge to the next timber patch... I'm telling you when this 5x5 came out it was like Gary was using a remote control to move him along exactly as he described it would if he bumped one out. This bull stops about 75 yards to my right, probably 30 ft in elevation under me. I put the cross hairs on him - crack! Oh crap - miss. He was nice enough to offer me 2 more shots at him before he trotted into the timber. I was heartbroken. While an absolute beginner in hunting, I have been in the military since 18 so I was just shocked that I completely missed an animal that size, at that range. Of course the ribbing was heavy that day on the ride back to camp. We break out a boresight kit and it was literally off the chart. We did a mechanical zero and my confidence returned - maybe I had not done everything right, but certainly it wasn't all me.

On the last day of my hunt I was pushing a strip of timber with my father in law towards 3 sitters. There was a beautiful and serene snow coming down and I felt like I was moving softly and more quietly than I ever had before. The snow flakes drifted lightly into my face as I crept into a nice head wind. Eventually I came to the long end of a 500 x 200 meter clearing, and stopped to glass into it and decide which side I wanted to go on it. Then, about 200 meters into the clearing on my left, a cow steps out from behind a pine tree, followed shortly after by another cow. I waited for a few seconds hoping that a bull would come following shortly behind, but got impatient by the time the lead cow was about half of the way across the 200 meter wide clearing. I placed the cross hairs on her and sent a round down range standing unsupported. She stumbled and turned back towards where she had come, starting to move back for the timber. I sent another one as she presented me the opposite broadside shot and she went about 3 more steps before crashing to the ground. It took the rest of my hunting party about 45minutes to find us, and I had quite a cathartic experience examining my first elk. I'll always wonder if there was a 6x6 bull behind her if I could have been a little more patient, but I was so happy to redeem myself in the eyes of my new hunting party. That trip has absolutely changed my life. I plan my yearly leaves around being able to make it to Wyoming for elk season (made it 3 of 4 years so far) and have started whitetail and bow hunting since moving to Kansas this year. I feel so much more self sufficient now and even butchered my own doe I killed earlier this year. Most importantly, I have set myself on a path to be able to pass on to my son a skill set and a mind set that i believe to be invaluable.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:34 pm

First deer was by gun in Mich. I was 16 yrs old. Had my own 35 cal. Marlin lever action, what they called a sporting carbine with a Redfield peep sight, and useing 200 Gr. bullets. Had a running shot at this buck but did not get him. My Uncle would check his traps along the river and I would walk the high ground in the event he kicked out a buck ( bucks only in those days). I shot that same buck on a deer drive the very next day, about 2 miles from yesterdays encounter. I was a stander and dropped him with a frontal neck shot as he was attempting to sneek by me. It was a 25 to 30 yd shot.
Scan_Pic0005.jpg
Scan_Pic0005.jpg (37.99 KiB) Viewed 370 times
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:53 pm

Then there is first deer by bow. In Illinois on Oct. 5, 1974, on a afternoon hunt near the Sinissippi Tree Farm located near the town of Oregon. While walking in I stopped to releave myself, went another 50yds to a tree and installed my home made hang on tree stand that I built. In the semi open hard woods I spotted a doe, she proceeded along the logging road I walked in on and stopped to check out the spot I had stopped to pee at. She then continued following my trail to within shooting range. With my "Wing" recurve and Easton aluminum arrows with Bear broadheads, made a 25yd pass thru lung shot. She went 80yds. Those were good days, when you really felt you accomplished something.
First deer.jpg
First deer.jpg (76.33 KiB) Viewed 369 times
never say never

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:06 am

Might as well put in first buck by bow, (they are all firsts). It was in Mich., Oct. 12, 1977. With my Browning 55# recurve and Easton alum. 2016 shafts that I fletched and mounted nocks and Bear broadheads. It was a 18yd liver shot that ended in a 80yd run. This was the very same tree in a public area that I shot a doe in 1976. This was another level of achivement for me, and a happy one.
First buck by bow.jpg
First buck by bow.jpg (52.3 KiB) Viewed 369 times
never say never

scotman

Postby scotman » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:55 am

My first deer was harvested on a cold fall morning. I took off of school for the first three opening days when I was 16..on the third opener a spike buck approached the treestand (w/roof) my father and I built in the spring of that year. The spike came in straight on, I was sure of the shot because I had practiced sighting in the old Mossberg 500 that Spring with my Father. I took steady aim just above the brisket and let it fly, the spike dropped dead in its tracks! The hunt was the most memorable hunts I had in my life.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:57 am

My first deer was a b.b in zanesville, Oh. It was in mid. october and this deer came in below me. I stood up to shoot and hit the the mark. The deer only went twenty yards. Since this was my first deer, when i started to clean him i had no idea what i was doing. When i was done i looked like i just walked out of one of the saw movies. But i didn't care i was on top of the world.
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:18 pm

I didn't actually see my first deer until he was standing 20 yards in front of my stand. I was watching a doe that was nuzzling the Tarsal Gland I set out about 40 yards down hill from my stand. The buck must have walked the fence line right up to me, but I didn't notice him moving because I was concentrating so much on putting antlers on that doe. When I finally looked up, dejected that it was a doe no matter how hard I wanted it to be a buck, I jumped when I saw the buck! Everything went into slow motion, I raised the slug gun, put the crosshairs on the the shoulder point and pulled the trigger. Then everything seemed to go 100 mph! I've only seen grouse move faster after the shot than that buck. He bolted and ran square into the biggest walnut tree on that side of the hill. I remember thinking "Oh no! He broke off his antlers!" He sounded like a run away Kenworth hitting a concrete embankment.

Needless to say, his antlers stayed intact and I had a really nice symmetrical 1 1/2 year old 8-pointer for my first deer!

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:13 pm

2002, Crawford County PA. First year APR's were implemented. Thankfully I was a Jr hunter, exempt from the 4 point rule.

Small 5 point couldn't resist the horns in early November, drilled him with the bear bow passed down to me by father, passed down to him by my uncle. I shot him on a family farm I still hunt each year.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

scotman

Postby scotman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Some great hunting stories here!

ct-hunter wrote:Still trying to make my first memory! :)

ct-hunter I hope you tagged your first deer this last season! If not good luck next season.
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:17 pm

I took my first deer in 1997, I was 12 years old and it was the opening day of rifle buck only...I hunted archery from my stand all season...will call it a learning expierance then I have written down I saw 27 bucks and 24 doe and 7 of those bucks were within 20 yards..like I said learning expierance all 7 bucks that came within shooting distance I didn't take 1 shot with the bow! My excuses were, it never stopped, it never stepped out from behind the tree, it was getting to dark, I was too cold to pull the bow back, you get the point endless excuses that come down to one thing no expierance..the first day came around it was no more then 10 degrees out wind blowing like crazy...(im was hunting the ground bc my dad felt a tree was to dangerous for such a young youth with a gun...I made my morning hunt until noon and waived my dad over hunting 50 yards away...I said I am done can you take me to the house.. he said "no" you won't get a deer in the house..he took me on about a 200 yard walk and we sat down in a recently zdowned tree. Not 10 minutes later a doe appears with another deer following I said darn its another doe...my old man says look again its a buck.. at that point I had the 5 point standing broadside at 15 yards took aim with the 243 and down he went....wasn't the biggest buck, but from that day on it doesn't matter how cold or how bad the weather is, you are gonna have to pull me from the woods to leave..

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions