That vanilla thing.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
kellory

Re: That vanilla thing.

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:20 pm

I have no trail cams. If I did, I would go with different ratios in each bottle, and separate sites, just to see what attracts better. Since I have no cameras, I will mix it evenly, same mix in each bottle, and each hunter will have his own to try. I will tell them NOT to use it on themselves! That might get them busted fast. I think on the bark of a tree in the kill zone, and maybe a light spray from time to time on the breeze. Any other suggestions?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:21 pm

What is the mix? can you let us in?

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:40 pm

kribbz wrote:What is the mix? can you let us in?

I will know that when I break the seals and see how potent the scents are. The four darker bottles are peanut butter candy flavoring. each bottle is .125 oz or 1 dram or 3.7ml. the 4 lighter bottles are apple flavoring. the large bottle is 4 oz. Madagascar Bourbon pure vannilla extract. There are more flavorings available. Any recommendations? I intend to mix them in a shaker that is now being descented. then poured into the sprayers shown. I will try to get photos, but if it comes down to a pic or a shot, I am a meat hunter, and my primary goal is to fill the freezer. I will, of course, share any knowledge I gain.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:10 am

I've used Vanilla a few times and had 2 different deer investigate. One was before daylight and I could barely see him. Another came straight to it and she's in the freezer. I am trying Loganberry, Persimmon, Butterscotch, and Acorn scents. So far, the wind has been blowing at 15 to 30 mph every day, so using scents is a waste. I tried to find some Butter Nut flavoring as I've heard good things about it, but so far have'nt found it.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:33 am

I tried using vanilla yesterday without any success. I did shoot a doe, however, but it was unrelated to the vanilla. One time does not make a study, so I'll try it again.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:13 pm

kellory wrote:
kribbz wrote:What is the mix? can you let us in?

I will know that when I break the seals and see how potent the scents are. The four darker bottles are peanut butter candy flavoring. each bottle is .125 oz or 1 dram or 3.7ml. the 4 lighter bottles are apple flavoring. the large bottle is 4 oz. Madagascar Bourbon pure vannilla extract. There are more flavorings available. Any recommendations? I intend to mix them in a shaker that is now being descented. then poured into the sprayers shown. I will try to get photos, but if it comes down to a pic or a shot, I am a meat hunter, and my primary goal is to fill the freezer. I will, of course, share any knowledge I gain.

I was able to find two bottles of maple, two butterscotch, and two anise (licorish) No molasses or persimmons though. I could just mix them all togeather, or break them up into 6 different mixes. I am open to suggestions...... :)
Attachments
Any other suggestion.jpg
Any other suggestion.jpg (49.68 KiB) Viewed 525 times

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Ohio farms wrote:I tried using vanilla yesterday without any success. I did shoot a doe, however, but it was unrelated to the vanilla. One time does not make a study, so I'll try it again.

Was it imitation vanilla, or real? DETAILS MAN, DETAILS! You gotta be specific! ;)
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:38 pm

It was the real stuff Woods. Don't tell my wife.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:08 pm

WHOA! She probably marks the bottle! I can hear her now, the next time she bakes........."What!??? What's this???!!!!! OHIO! Get in here NOW!!!!!" :lol:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:30 pm

@Kell -- I do a lab with my Chemistry class where we use those flavoring oils to make hard candy... the recipe calls for 1 dram of flavoring to a full 2 cups of water, plus 2 cups of sugar, PLUS like 3/4 cup of Karo syrup. Some of the flavors are stronger than others, but the anise seems to be pretty potent...

Also, I think those flavorings are an oil... so if you intend to mix them with water it may stay separated. My wife has a bottle that we use for olive oil that allows you to pressurize the bottle by pumping it up, giving an aerosol effect to the olive oil... something like that might work with the straight scent, kind of atomize the molecules and really spread it through the air...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions