That vanilla thing.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
kellory

Re: That vanilla thing.

Postby kellory » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:50 pm

Deebz wrote:@Kell -- I do a lab with my Chemistry class where we use those flavoring oils to make hard candy... the recipe calls for 1 dram of flavoring to a full 2 cups of water, plus 2 cups of sugar, PLUS like 3/4 cup of Karo syrup. Some of the flavors are stronger than others, but the anise seems to be pretty potent...

Also, I think those flavorings are an oil... so if you intend to mix them with water it may stay separated. My wife has a bottle that we use for olive oil that allows you to pressurize the bottle by pumping it up, giving an aerosol effect to the olive oil... something like that might work with the straight scent, kind of atomize the molecules and really spread it through the air...

Actually, I was hoping you might chime in. Chemistry teacher, if I remember right. Yes, these are oils. I am open to suggestions as to the best blends, ect. I had a thought of thinning them for spraying with corn squeezings (I know someone) and run through the spray bottles shown in the picture. I could use a pump up lawn sprayer, but that seems excessive. Do they make small pocket sized ones? I don't know. You have used these oils, the flavors are listed above, Do you have a favored blend? And where would I get the atomizer bottle?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:21 am

When we use the oils in class we always just do one flavor per batch, since we're making candy. The kids like to stick to the strawberry/cherry/fruity type flavors.

Blending them with corn "squeezings"... i'm assuming that would be like corn oil?? would def work better than water. Oil and oil will mix together well, so maybe even some cheap olive oil... the atomizer bottle we have is actually from Pampered Chef... I think they call it an oil spritzer or something, but it works on the same premise as the lawn sprayers do...

Side note, could spraying oils around your hunting site be construed as baiting?? I'm not positive, but I think the law reads something like whatever you put out as an attractant cannot have any nutritional value... the flavors i'm sure would be fine, but corn oil, olive oil... there would definitely be some calories in there... I think this is a totally awesome idea, just wouldn't want to see someone get popped for baiting
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:04 pm

Deebz wrote:When we use the oils in class we always just do one flavor per batch, since we're making candy. The kids like to stick to the strawberry/cherry/fruity type flavors.

Blending them with corn "squeezings"... i'm assuming that would be like corn oil?? would def work better than water. Oil and oil will mix together well, so maybe even some cheap olive oil... the atomizer bottle we have is actually from Pampered Chef... I think they call it an oil spritzer or something, but it works on the same premise as the lawn sprayers do...

Side note, could spraying oils around your hunting site be construed as baiting?? I'm not positive, but I think the law reads something like whatever you put out as an attractant cannot have any nutritional value... the flavors i'm sure would be fine, but corn oil, olive oil... there would definitely be some calories in there... I think this is a totally awesome idea, just wouldn't want to see someone get popped for baiting

Actually the "corn squeezings" might just be shine, and while that might have value, I would not call it nutritional, And as I have seen deer wobble away from apples that have shall we say "ripened a little too far" alcohol is something they are familiar with. I thought it might thin the oils. And baiting is legal in Ohio anyways. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:23 pm

I have always heard that it is the imitation vanilla extract that works, not the real stuff.

My buddy has only used it once.

Killed his biggest buck ever while using it. Was also using a drag rag and doe urine though during the rut...

no telling
"You can overdo anything."

Sopchoppy

Postby Sopchoppy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:08 am

Lorann flavorings web site details which flavorings are soluble and insoluble in water. Anise oil is insoluble! Apple flavor is soluble. I've ordered some of the apple flavor, not from Lorann, to dilute and put in an 16 oz. spray bottle to spray on foliage.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:14 am

Sopchoppy wrote:Lorann flavorings web site details which flavorings are soluble and insoluble in water. Anise oil is insoluble! Apple flavor is soluble. I've ordered some of the apple flavor, not from Lorann, to dilute and put in an 16 oz. spray bottle to spray on foliage.

I hadn't thought of that! I wil have a look at the website, thanks. ;)

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:23 am

Now that you mention it, I think an oil would be soluble in alcohol... Different alcohols and different oils will affect exactly how soluble they will be, but that's sounding like it might work for you...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:40 am

Alright, update. I have been to the offical sites for the Vanilla and the candy flavorings (lorann). All flavoring I have are soluable in water except the anise which being an oil should desolve in alcohal. And the Vinilla contains both. So I think I will add some water and some alcohal to thin the mix for spraying from the bottles. Also, these flavorings appear to be the super strenth (4X) versions, so I will have to judge how much to use when I break the seals. I have 6 bottles, 1 bottle of Vanilla, apple, peanut butter, maple, butter scotch, and anise flavoring available, and they will be tested in about 2 weeks. Any suggetions as to which to combine, or should I mix them all together? This will be an acive hunt, not a trail cam test. My first thought is the vanilla, apple, peanut butter. What are your thoughts Gentlemen? (and ladies, of course. ;) )

KCguy

Postby KCguy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 pm

In WI we are allowed to use 2 gallons of bait, so reading this got me thinking a while ago about combining the two, baiting and scent attractant. I own/operate a kettle corn stand for my income, and with the colder weather I got LOTS of time for hunting. One of these days when the weather is too terrible to get out and hunt, I might be popping some flavored kettle corn. I already have apple flavoring and believe me when used in the kettle corn process, the corn tastes and smells just like apples. I am hoping it works with great results because like Kellory, I am also out to fill the freezer. Plus I can make this for a lot less than a bag of deer corn costs. I also made some vanilla kettle corn this last summer, yet the vanilla flavor was barely noticeable.

Matt

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:07 am

KCguy wrote:In WI we are allowed to use 2 gallons of bait, so reading this got me thinking a while ago about combining the two, baiting and scent attractant. I own/operate a kettle corn stand for my income, and with the colder weather I got LOTS of time for hunting. One of these days when the weather is too terrible to get out and hunt, I might be popping some flavored kettle corn. I already have apple flavoring and believe me when used in the kettle corn process, the corn tastes and smells just like apples. I am hoping it works with great results because like Kellory, I am also out to fill the freezer. Plus I can make this for a lot less than a bag of deer corn costs. I also made some vanilla kettle corn this last summer, yet the vanilla flavor was barely noticeable.

Matt

That scent may be barely noticable to you or me, but that deer can track by scent as well as any bloodhound. Give it a try, and let me know how it goes alright? ;)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions