That vanilla thing.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
KCguy

Re: That vanilla thing.

Postby KCguy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:37 am

I will post an update when I get that far. Getting a slow start this morning for hunting, and should be a good one today since a bigger storm is forecast for this evening. Might even see some snow with this one.

Matt

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:42 am

@KCGuy: If you are limited to 2 gallons and you plan on using popped kettle corn, try crushing it up first... that way you can actually get more of the bait into your 2 gallon container...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

KCguy

Postby KCguy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Deebz wrote:@KCGuy: If you are limited to 2 gallons and you plan on using popped kettle corn, try crushing it up first... that way you can actually get more of the bait into your 2 gallon container...

Sounds like a good idea, thanks.

Well an update of sorts. We did get a big storm and some snow. It was not supposed to snow till later today, yet it started snowing this morning. So by the time I woke up, we had 2 inches already. It might not sound like much, yet where I have the van parked, it was enough to get it stuck about 2 feet from where it was parked. So I never made it to my uncle's shop to pop some kettle corn inside today. I will find some time soon though.

Matt

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:03 pm

kellory wrote:Alright, update. I have been to the offical sites for the Vanilla and the candy flavorings (lorann). All flavoring I have are soluable in water except the anise which being an oil should desolve in alcohal. And the Vinilla contains both. So I think I will add some water and some alcohal to thin the mix for spraying from the bottles. Also, these flavorings appear to be the super strenth (4X) versions, so I will have to judge how much to use when I break the seals. I have 6 bottles, 1 bottle of Vanilla, apple, peanut butter, maple, butter scotch, and anise flavoring available, and they will be tested in about 2 weeks. Any suggetions as to which to combine, or should I mix them all together? This will be an acive hunt, not a trail cam test. My first thought is the vanilla, apple, peanut butter. What are your thoughts Gentlemen? (and ladies, of course. ;) )

Update. I talked to my contact for corn squeezings, and found he had been robbed! Money, shine, and personal posessions stolen. He is an old deer hunter as well, and he mentioned deer also like grapes, so I will try condord grape wine as a thinner if it is needed for the sprayers. This coming weekend is the hunt date for the scent test, and I will be away from my computer for a few days after that, but I will share any knowledge gained, good or bad.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

gilkey79

Postby gilkey79 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:34 pm

what about using the Vanilla Trees every one hangs in there car

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:46 am

Update. Hunt ran for three days, and I used an ounce of vinilla, and 1 bottle of apple, and 1 bottle of peanutbutter flavorings. No thinning was needed, and the scent lingers for quite a while. However, the winds were howling, and I don't think any scent stood a chance of working. Out of five hunters, I was the only successful hunter, but had given up on using any scent by then. Winds nearly blew away our portajohn! I will try again later, when there is little or no wind. Very low number of deer sighting while hunting. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 pm

I have had three oppertunities to try the vinnila deer cocktail, and in each case the winds were, I think, just too much for any scent to have a fair chance to work. All of the componants used though have a long shelf life, and should not degrade, so I will play with the possibilities as the oppertunities arise. Perhaps by next season I will have a cheap trail cam, and different samples can be set out on marked tres for comparison. Time will tell.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:41 am

Hey kell, if you do score a trail cam, it could be a good excuse to get out and do some spring scouting shed/hunting... all in the name of science, of course
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:38 pm

That sounds like a fine idea. What I had in mind, was to mark several trees in the field of fire of the camera, with bright eyes, facing the camera with a diferent number of bright eyes in each tree. That way, the pictures should show what mix gets the most attention. Each tree with a diferent mix, and the numbers would match to a list of samples. I don't even need clear pics, just be able to tell what draws, and what is ignored. Have I missed anything?

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:52 am

sounds perfect... that should give you what I would consider to be reliable data if you were doing an actual study on it

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions