Any dpms experts here?

fr0sty

Any dpms experts here?

Postby fr0sty » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:53 am

I am thinking of getting a rifle for deer hunting and would like to check out a dpms firearm.   They are locally made and I would like to support them.

What stripped down model would you recommend for deer hunting?

passin through

RE: Any dpms experts here?

Postby passin through » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:31 am

Not really an expert and personally am really a bolt gun snob.  However a guy I used to work with had the Panther 308(the original) and we hunted together some in TX with it.  Very accurate rifle & if I were going to get one (or any AR-style) that would be the one I'd personally get.  Throwing this 2 cents in though, unless you just have to have a AR style, I highly recommend the Springfield Armory  standard M1A or the M25 Whitefeather.  Any of these I would get in 308 win (again, caliber snob coming out)  What ever you pick, pick something that is easy to carry and you can maneuver well in whatever type stand or blind you are in.  Also practice getting it to battery in a simulated hunting situation.  By this I mean are you going to free hand? or are you going to have some form of forearm support?  My friend got excited a time or two and the mag well on his Panther hit the side of the blind when he leaned into the shot.  For that reason I would reccommend using the bare minimum mag for either of these types as they tend to get in the way hunting.  Hope this helps...

PrairieShadow

RE: Any dpms experts here?

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:50 pm

DPMS makes great stuff across the board. I agree though make sure its a .308. .223 just isnt enough medicine for deer.

pick one that fits your hunting style/conditions and go with it.

Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Return to Rifles