Old Estrus Scent?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
buckwild

Old Estrus Scent?

Postby buckwild » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:00 pm

I have been looking at all of the local sporting goods stores at the hunting gear. I wanted to try Code Red estrus scent (never tried it), and it ranged from $10-$12. I ended up buying the last bottle on the shelf at farm and fleet for around $3.99. It was on sale but the regular price was only like $6. Any idea why so much less? old scent? if so - would it be ok to use? I would rather use nothing than something that is going to spook the deer. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Semper Fidelis!

Woods Walker

Re: Old Estrus Scent?

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Most "estrous" scents (how do you KNOW it's estrous?? because they say it is??)are worthless, so it doesn't matter when you use them.

If the urine you buy is amber/brown when it comes out of the bottle, then it's no longer urine, but has broken down into urea. ALL urines do this. That's why it really doesn't matter what type of urine you get, 99% of it is urea anyway.

The deer scent industry is the biggest and longest running scam that hunting has ever had. It's even worse than Scent Lok. The urine scent industry is unregulated, so there are no standards by which to measure what exactly "doe-in-heat" urine actually IS. There are also no standards for it's collection, storage, or purity. In fact, there's actually no way to even know if the urine you are buying is even from a doe DEER! Female rabbits are also called "does", for example.

Do some basic math on this people. Let's make a guess..... How many bottles of what's claimed to be "doe-in-heat" urine is sold every year, off the shelves of sporting good stores and through the mail? Let's take Tink's for example (I'm NOT singling them out, and I make NO claim that what they sell is not in fact real deer urine, and I have no reason to suspect that they do). An average size bottle of their deer urine is 4 oz. That'd be 32 bottles to a gallon. That's just one brand. My local Gander Mt. must have at least a dozen different brands and type on their shelves at any given time. Let's say they purchase 100 bottles of each type. That's 100 X 12 (various types)= 1200 bottles X 4oz. = 4800 oz. 4800 oz. divided by 128 (oz/gallon)=37.5 GALLONS of deer urine per store per year. Gander Mt. has ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN STORES! That's 4,387.5 GALLONS of deer urine, or 140,400 4.oz BOTTLES.......JUST FOR ONE STORE CHAIN!!!! If you assume that Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas have a similar number of stores, then that's 13,162.5 GALLONS of deer urine, or 421,200 bottles per year, and don't forget, this DOESN'T include all the smaller chains (Dicks, Farm & Fleet, etc.) and Ma 'n Pa stores and archery shops! I think it'd be on the conservative side to say that we're talking a grand total of 20,000 GALLONS, or 640,000 BOTTLES of deer urine sold per year. Now......an average sized doe deer will produce enough urine while she is in heat to make 54 TWO oz. doe-in-heat bottles PER YEAR. If we go by our 4 oz. quantity that's be only TWENTY SEVEN BOTTLES OF DOE-IN-HEAT URINE PER YEAR, PER DEER. That means that if all this is truely doe deer-in-heat urine then there has to be AT LEAST 23,704 captive does that urine is being collected from! Bottom line is, I think these numbers are LOW, but even figuring it this way, that's still A LOT of deer! Just food for thought folks. I'd like to know what you all think too. BTW: My source for some of this is from here: http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/hen ... ustry.html

Good article!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Woodsey, you are forgetting, These captive does are heavy drinkers, and wanton females to begin with, and have been known to watch Jerry Springer while hitting the buffet. :lol:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:03 am

buckwild wrote:I have been looking at all of the local sporting goods stores at the hunting gear. I wanted to try Code Red estrus scent (never tried it), and it ranged from $10-$12. I ended up buying the last bottle on the shelf at farm and fleet for around $3.99. It was on sale but the regular price was only like $6. Any idea why so much less? old scent? if so - would it be ok to use? I would rather use nothing than something that is going to spook the deer. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

Smell it, that should tell you. I have had great success with deer urine. It depends on how you use it and the setting you are in. There is a definite difference between regular doe urine and the estrous urine when you smell it. As far as the stuff you bought tho, you will be able to tell from the smell if you want to take a chance using it or not

Return to Off Topic