Birth Of A New Tradition

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Woods Walker

Birth Of A New Tradition

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Birth of a New Tradition.......Hopefully this will help offset our invasion of "spammers"!

(The only thing I would add to this list is a gift subscription to Deer and Deer Hunting...an AMERICAN magazine!!!)

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high

gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods --

merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American labor.

This year will be different. This year Americans will give the gift of genuine

concern for other Americans. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift-giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American hands.

Yes there is!

It's time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in

a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?

Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates

from your local American hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some

health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, American-owned

detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a

book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down

the Benjamines on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift

receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or

driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course.

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort,

what about a half-dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is

about supporting your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a

local cleaning lady for a day. Or a massage or visit to a spa.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin

their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery

and beautiful wooden boxes.

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner-operated restaurants and leave

your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at

your hometown theater.

Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands.

Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese

lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have

those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, the Holidays are no longer about draining American pockets so that

China can build another glittering city. The Holidays are now about caring about

US, encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow

their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our

communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine.

THIS is the new American Holiday tradition.

Forward this to everyone on your mailing list -- post it to discussion

groups -- throw up a post on Craigslist in the Rants and Raves section in

your city -- send it to the editor of your local paper and radio stations,

and TV news departments. This is a revolution of caring about each other,

and isn't that what the Holidays are about?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Re: Birth Of A New Tradition

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:39 am

How about some corn fed, American grown homemade venison jerky for a gift.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:25 am

That's what my daughter's getting....and she PREFERS it! Where else can you get that except from someone who deer hunts?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:36 am

I like to give venison if I have extra, to those who appriciate it, but I will have to check to see if it is legal in Ohio. For a while it was not because the tag rings had to stay with the meat, and it was not allowed to have any portion that was not tagged. I will see what the current ruling is and get back to you.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:24 pm

I understand the rule Kellory, but I seriously doubt that the DOW is going to bust my daughter for a few pounds of venison jerky.
Now if you get caught jacklighting or poaching and you have unmarked venison in your freezer, then they will bust you for that too, but I don't think the intent of the rule is keep someone from giving someone venison. IMO

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:39 pm

Ohio farms wrote:I understand the rule Kellory, but I seriously doubt that the DOW is going to bust my daughter for a few pounds of venison jerky.
Now if you get caught jacklighting or poaching and you have unmarked venison in your freezer, then they will bust you for that too, but I don't think the intent of the rule is keep someone from giving someone venison. IMO

In my job, we have to deal with laws that were written for a purpose, but effect other things as well. If I as a professional, ignore these stupid or obsolete laws, I can be held accountable for it. Is it likely to happen? no. But it is not likely you will be busted for running red lights, or stop signs either, but it does happen. Even stupid laws have the same weight as life or death laws. You can't pick and choose. The purpose of the law in question, was to prevent the spread of CWD, I think. They wanted a way to account for all portions of a dangerous animal.Not just for poachers or shiners.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:18 pm

As far as I know there have been no cases of CWD in Ohio. I don't believe that is the reason for the law. I'm not justifying breaking the law, I'm just saying that giving someone venison is not what the law is attempting to regulate. You always had to justify where you got wild game. I have the tags and would be able to produce them if asked. The law is to control poaching (or CWD if you like) not a father giving his daughter some venison. Really...

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:04 am

Ohio farms wrote:As far as I know there have been no cases of CWD in Ohio. I don't believe that is the reason for the law. I'm not justifying breaking the law, I'm just saying that giving someone venison is not what the law is attempting to regulate. You always had to justify where you got wild game. I have the tags and would be able to produce them if asked. The law is to control poaching (or CWD if you like) not a father giving his daughter some venison. Really...

I believe this law went into effect when CWD was cropping up in other states, there were even stories (and jokes) as to how the athorities could track one cow with mad cow deseise from canada, but could not track ANY illegals from Mexico.... ;) It was a knee jerk reaction like locking your doors because some one got mugged last night. I didn't agree with the law, or it's repercusions, or the added work with the rings, or the paperwork, There ARE testing facilities here in Ohio that will test for it (CWD) if you send them the head, and they suggest you do not eat the meat until it has been cleared. I do not know if it is still in effect, but I will check before I donate venison. There are three stupid reaction laws I must comply with in my job, and a couple others for OSHA, that are flat out stupid. But if I violate them I will be fined, my company will be fined, and we can be kicked off jobs, and removed from state jobs. The intent of the law does not matter much, what matters is what they wrote and passed. It is the Law of Unintended Consequences, and it is an animal with teeth on all sides, it bites everyone friend or foe. Do as you wish, but I will check the current state of the law before I donate venison in Ohio. :geek:

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:16 pm

As you wish.

KCguy

Postby KCguy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:21 am

Just curious if they have that "feed the hungry" type of program by you Kellory, because I doubt they give each hungry family a whole deer plus the tags. We have the same type of law here regarding the tag staying with the meat, yet we also can donate the deer to the food pantrys and like I said, I doubt they give the family the carcass tag because I think each deer gets given to multiple families. I even think the DNR helps promote to get the deer donations...lol.

Matt

Next

Return to Off Topic