Manufacturer discounts?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
hunter480

Manufacturer discounts?

Postby hunter480 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:55 pm

I have a question for the members here, since there are a LOT of members here, most, hard-core hunters, who have a vast base of knowlwdge, know lot`s ot other hunters, and have bought lots of gear.........

Does anyone know of any of the major crossbow makers who might offer some kind of discount on a crossbow in order to help someone? Here is the story:

The company I work for has begun bringing in short-term contractors in order to cut costs, as they don`t give these folks any benefits, no pension, nothing....they simply pay the company who brings in the contractors, and they pay the contractors. It`s a raw deal, since we work side by side with folks doing the same work we`re doing, and not only are they paid less, but, they`re typically only with us for 24 months, which is terrible, because we learn about them and their families, and get to care about them...then they`re gone.....

As I`ve talked to one lady who is a contractor, and I sometimes work closely with, she`s shared with me a bit about her family and home life, which doesn`t sound good, but the thing that has really struck me, is the situation with her husband. Her husband is disabled, and so is home all day, and due to his disability, (it`s back problems), he`s very limited in what he can do around the house. She`s told me, that he`s so despondent, that he most times just lays in bed, and that he`s basically given up, and is basically just waiting to die. This has just been eating at me, as I feel really badly for her and her husband due to his defeated attitude.

As we`ve talked, I`ve learned that he is a hunter, or was a hunter before his back problems. He goes out a couple times a year during firearms season here in Indiana, but doesn`t hunt hard, because it`s difficult for him to sit very long, and, the recoil from the firearm is painful.

Indiana has made crossbows legal for anyone to use during the late archery season, and it`s expected that when the 2012 archery season begins, that everyone will be allowed to use crossbows during all archery seasons. When I mentioned this to her, she said that, they just cannot afford to buy a crossbow, that they`re too expensive. I asked her which price range she had been looking at, and she said $400.00 crossbows, and that they`re just too expensive.

I know that Horton makes a crossbow right at the $399.00 mark, and Barnett as well. My plan is to sell a shotgun sitting in my safe that I never use, and it`s a good shotgun, it`s a Beretta AL391 Urika in 12 gauge 3". Problem is, I don`t have all the chokes that came with it, and guns don`t ever bring what they`re really worth anyway, but I`m going to sell it, and use whatever I get for it to get this lady`s husband a crossbow. I`m hoping this might lift his spirits enough that he would go hunting this late archery season, and for sure, look forward to next October.

Does anyone here know how I could maybe approach Horton or Barnett about some sort of discounted price, so that I can get this guy a crossbow? If I can`t get one of them to work with me, then I`ll try selling a second gun. I have a brand new S&W 686 in 4" that I will sell after the shotgun if I need to, in order to make this happen. I hope to not end up needing to sell the relvolver though.

As an aside, Edith is a Christian lady, her husband is not saved, and she`s been praying for something to make her husband want to enjoy life again, and eventually, accept his salvation too. I only know that my life would be miserable too, if I couldn`t deer hunt, for any reason.

If anyone has some sort of "in" with Horton or Barnett, I`d love to see what they might consider doing to help me make this possible for this guy. I`m not asking for charity, and am selling my firearm to make this happen, but would hope the sale of the shotgun would cover the crossbow with some sort of discount.....maybe I`m not even thinking clearly about this. Maybe there`s no chance of them offering any cut in price.....any thoughts?
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

kellory

Re: Manufacturer discounts?

Postby kellory » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:15 pm

If you had asked this a year ago, I had a second crossbow to trade for a shotgun for my son. That deal would have been just fine for all. Too late though. I would suggest you try for a used crossbow on Craig's List, or at a bow shop. Both of mine were used when I got them, and they worked beautifully. You could most likely get one for $200. or less. It will not be a ten point, or an excaliber, but it will do the job just the same. Do not advertize guns on Craig's list, (they are forbidden) but you could trade for one without stating it is a gun. keep the trade details off Craig's List, and you will be fine.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Well first off.......480, HOW THE HELL ARE YOU? Long time, no hear! Don't be a stranger!

Second....I can't help you on the crossbow, but I have a compound bow that I'd GIVE him if he can use it. It's a PSE Vulcan, 50% letoff, 50 to 60 lbs. I know it's not state of the art, but it's killed it's share of deer, and it's still good to go. Let me know.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:29 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Well first off.......480, HOW THE HELL ARE YOU? Long time, no hear! Don't be a stranger!

Second....I can't help you on the crossbow, but I have a compound bow that I'd GIVE him if he can use it. It's a PSE Vulcan, 50% letoff, 50 to 60 lbs. I know it's not state of the art, but it's killed it's share of deer, and it's still good to go. Let me know.

Woods Walker, it is SO good to hear from you. There are many folks here in the Forums that are like great, old friends, and you are at the top of that list my friend.

I so appreciate the offer of the compound bow, and I`m not surprised at all that you make such a generous offer. Unfortunately, this fellow can`t draw a compound bow due to a back injury.

And I have great news......I sold that shotgun I mentioned in the initial post, and that will pay the lions share of the cost of a crossbow for David. I`m checking out Amazon right now, and am looking at a Horton, a Barnett, and am looking hard at the Carbon Express Xforce 400.

I`m going to spring for the bow, and a crossbow target and some hunting broadheads for him, so hopefully, he won`t have to spend a nickel to go hunting.

If anyone here crossbow hunts and has some input on the Carbon Express Xforce, I`d love to hear that.......
Greg Russell

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:26 pm

kellory wrote:If you had asked this a year ago, I had a second crossbow to trade for a shotgun for my son. That deal would have been just fine for all. Too late though. I would suggest you try for a used crossbow on Craig's List, or at a bow shop. Both of mine were used when I got them, and they worked beautifully. You could most likely get one for $200. or less. It will not be a ten point, or an excaliber, but it will do the job just the same. Do not advertize guns on Craig's list, (they are forbidden) but you could trade for one without stating it is a gun. keep the trade details off Craig's List, and you will be fine.

Thank you for the info Kellory.......I was considering a used bow, and in fact, MY crossbow was used when I bought it, but I really wanted to get new for David if I could, and it looks like I can get new now. It will be an entry level crossbow for sure, as mine is, but I just hope it motivates him to get up, and go hunting, and experience and enjoy life again.
Greg Russell

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Well, I settled on the Wicked Ridge Warrior crossbow, and got David a crossbow target too, along with the Wicked Ridge rope cocking system and 6 bolts, and some NAP Spitfire hunting broadheads.......I think he`ll be very surprised and very pleased. His wife was a little teary eyed when I told her this morning that I would likely get the crossbow ordered tonight.

Thanks for letting me bounce things off you, and mostly I guess just think thru it all as I talked about it here.

In case I don`t get an opportunity to say it later, Merry Christmas to you all, and I pray the peace of our Lord, Jesus, into your lives, homes and hearts.

God bless all........
Greg Russell

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:59 pm

You"re welcome, I hope it helps, and don't get any stranger, er, I mean don't be a stranger! ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:10 pm

Good on ya 480. You not only talk the talk, you walk the walk. God Bless you!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Off Topic