Mini-lion?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Everyday Hunter

Mini-lion?

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:27 pm

As I was closing out the season on Saturday, around 4:30 I saw something I couldn't quite identify. It wasn't a deer, and at first I wondered if it might be a coyote. There was in some thick brush, and looked like it was setting up to attack a rabbit. I saw a sudden move and the rabbit run away to the left. Then this animal walked away, more cat-like than coyote-like.

I was about 25 yards from a trail camera I hadn't checked since opening day. So, at 5:00 I checked the camera (which was about 50 yards away from the animal). Here's what I found. (Is this a mountain lion? [:D] Or a mini-lion?)

This cat in the picture is about 25 yards away from the ground blind I was in.  

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

cruiserdebo

RE: Mini-lion?

Postby cruiserdebo » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:23 am

BOBCAT....or a LYNX
you go up on that ridge and I'll go down in the swamp....

whitetailtime

Postby whitetailtime » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:41 am

That is a bobcat.

Bluegrass Archer

Postby Bluegrass Archer » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:51 am

I got the pleasure of seeing a bobcat this year also. I'd trade in half the deer i saw this year just to see it again. One of the rarest things i've ever seen hunting, it absolutely made my year.
One does not hunt in order to kill, but one kills in order to have hunted.

U.P.Hunter

Postby U.P.Hunter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:33 am

We had one that got hit in the road last year about a mile from my house. The DNR turned him loose a couple counties over. Didn't hurt him...just stunned him I guess. I think it looks more like a lynx to me. I think that it should have been cheaked by a vet before they dumped it off.

http://www.thedailynews.cc/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=19164&SectionID=2&SubSectionID=11&S=1
I may Live in Lower Michigan but My Heart well Always Belong to Home in Garden Peninsula.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:39 am

ORIGINAL: whitetailtime

That is a bobcat.

Yes, I knew this mini-lion is a bobcat. I've seen their tracks in that area, and two neighbors have seen them in their yards. I've also called them in during spring gobbler season.

Yesterday I too the ribcage from a doe I shot and staked it in front of a trail camera. Hope I get some good photos.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:42 pm

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

As I was closing out the season on Saturday, around 4:30 I saw something I couldn't quite identify. It wasn't a deer, and at first I wondered if it might be a coyote. There was in some thick brush, and looked like it was setting up to attack a rabbit. I saw a sudden move and the rabbit run away to the left. Then this animal walked away, more cat-like than coyote-like.

I was about 25 yards from a trail camera I hadn't checked since opening day. So, at 5:00 I checked the camera (which was about 50 yards away from the animal). Here's what I found. (Is this a mountain lion? [:D] Or a mini-lion?)

Steve

It's not bad enough that you sneak over the border & take all of our really nice bucks. Now you're stealing our Bobcats as well? [:D]
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

RubyCreekHunter

Postby RubyCreekHunter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:18 am

Yesterday I too the ribcage from a doe I shot and staked it in front of a trail camera. Hope I get some good photos.

Hope we get to see them to[:D].

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:05 pm

ORIGINAL: Challenger

ORIGINAL: Everyday Hunter

Steve

It's not bad enough that you sneak over the border & take all of our really nice bucks. Now you're stealing our Bobcats as well? [:D]

Yeah ... what's the story with you Steve? Why are you always taking all of our good stuff. Why don't you steal stuff from Wisconsin & Minnesota, they have a lot more stuff than we do. [:D]

Return to Off Topic