guy charged for indecent expo. in own home?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
U.P.Hunter

guy charged for indecent expo. in own home?

Postby U.P.Hunter » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:20 pm

do you think he was just being free or was as he claims or is really a pervert getting his jollies off exposing himself to women and desertves what he gpot and then some by means of a sentnece?

Man Convicted for Being Naked in His Own Home Updated: 41 minutes ago
Print Text Size E-mail MoreMatthew Barakat

AP FAIRFAX, Va. (Dec. 18) -- As Erick Williamson sees it, being naked is liberating, and if passers-by get an eyeful while he's standing in front of a picture window, that's not his problem.

A Fairfax County judge saw it a little differently Friday, convicting Williamson of indecent exposure in a case that has raised questions about what's OK when you're in your own home.

Two women said they saw much more of Williamson than they cared to in October, even though he never left the confines of his home. He received neither jail time nor a fine but is appealing anyway, saying a larger principle is at stake.

"I think that being tried and found guilty of something like this is outrageous," Williamson said after he was convicted and sentenced. "I feel like I'm living in a fishbowl."

Williamson testified that he never intended to expose himself and was simply exercising "personal freedom" as he spent several hours naked in his Springfield home packing up belongings.

Police, prosecutors and two witnesses, though, said Williamson's actions were designed to draw attention to himself.

The first woman, school librarian Joyce Giuliani, said she heard some loud singing as she left her home and drove to work. As she drove by Williamson's home, she saw him naked, standing directly behind a large picture window.

A few hours later, Yvette Dean was walking her 7-year-old son to school along a trail that runs by Williamson's home.

She heard a loud rattle, looked to her left and saw Williamson standing naked, full frontal, in a side doorway.

"He gave me eye contact," Dean said, but otherwise made no gestures toward her or her son.

As she turned the corner, she looked back at the home, in disbelief at what she had just seen. Again, she saw Williamson, naked in the same picture window.

One of Williamson's housemates testified that Williamson had been nude well before dawn. Timothy Baclit testified that he woke up around 5 a.m. to go to work and found saw Williamson walking around "naked ... with a hard hat."

He said he warned Williamson that he would be visible to passers-by but that Williamson did not respond.

Williamson, 29, said the conversation with Baclit never occurred and that he never noticed that two women had seen him. He said "it did not occur to me" that people outside the home might see him naked.

Regardless of whether he was seen, Williamson's conduct does not constitute indecent exposure, said his attorney, Dickson Young.

Under Virginia law, the charge requires "an obscene display or exposure" and must occur in "a public place or a place where others are present."

Young argued that neither prong had been met.

"Mere nudity is insufficient to declare conduct obscene," Young said, noting that none of the women testified that Williamson was aroused or that he made any sort of obscene gesture. "Nudity in one's own home is not a crime."

Fairfax County Prosecutor Marc Birnbaum said the witness testimony shows that he intended to expose himself to the women by making himself visible for extended periods of time and drawing attention to himself by making rattling noises and singing.

"No one deserves to see it, certainly not a young child," Birnbaum said.

Birnbaum sought jail time for Williamson, but General District Judge Ian M. O'Flaherty imposed only a suspended sentence, meaning that Williamson will serve no jail time if he keeps out of trouble.

If Williamson follows through on his plans to appeal, though, a circuit court judge could impose a stiffer punishment, technically up to a year in jail.

Williamson's Oct. 24 arrest received national attention and spurred debate about the boundaries of acceptable nudity.

Kent Willis, director of the Virginia chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, said there is no line that defines what is acceptable in these types of cases.

"How you define public and private space depends on the behavior that's taking place," Willis said. He said that if the case is pursued through appellate courts, it could potentially provide more clarity on what constitutes indecent exposure in Virginia.

Williamson, a commercial diver who has since moved out of Fairfax County, said he was shocked by the verdict. He suggested after the hearing that he was the victim of a double standard.

"If I was looking in her window, I think we'd be having a whole different conversation," he said.
Filed under: Nation, Weird News, Crime

http://www.sphere.com/nation/article/eri...n-home/19287446
I may Live in Lower Michigan but My Heart well Always Belong to Home in Garden Peninsula.

shadow

RE: guy charged for indecent expo. in own home?

Postby shadow » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:22 am

I guess this really is Off Topic.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:43 am

"I feel like I'm living in a fishbowl."

"I feel like I'm living in a fishbowl" is different from "I don't want to feel like I'm living in a fishbowl." Notice that he didn't say that.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:18 am

Yep, just a little pff topic [:)]
There is a little bit of difference between being naked inside your home and being naked inside your home, standing in front of a picture window and singing or making loud noises. Especially if he lives in town.
He probably is looking for attention, or a little mentally handicapped.
You give up some of your rights when you live in the city. e.g. need to mow your lawn, not too much junk in the yard, noise ordinances, some towns regulate the color of house/garage you can have. etc. This act should fall under someone's common sense. I find it sad that we need to go to court to regulate what people should and shouldn't do, when a normal person should know better. I wonder how his appeal goes...

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:08 am

You have to be very careful these days.

Recently there was a guy that apparently got convicted for peeing outside his house and he lives on a farm.
Apparently the neighbor some (300 yards??) away, and daughter saw him, called the police and he was arrested and convicted for indecent exposure. Luckily for him he didn't get labled as sex offender.

However, the guy in this story, sounded like a nutcase looking for attention.

But, I sleep in the nude. Our MB is on the second floor. We have a 9' x 4' picture window. There are other 2 story homes around us.
What stinks is I have to constantly worry about "covering" myself if I come out of my own shower, out of my toilet room, or just stretching first thing in the a.m. for fear of someone reporting and I end up on some list.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:05 am

Timothy Baclit testified that he woke up around 5 a.m. to go to work and found saw Williamson walking around "naked ... with a hard hat."

I had to read this twice.....I thought it said something else, which would have explained a lot....[:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:17 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Timothy Baclit testified that he woke up around 5 a.m. to go to work and found saw Williamson walking around "naked ... with a hard hat."

I had to read this twice.....I thought it said something else, which would have explained a lot....[:D]

What you were thinking was probably right.[:)]
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:33 pm

Only this guy & the good Lord know what his true agenda was here. However, as far as the two women are concerned - give me a break!

They were so shocked and offended - but went by another time for a second look! Po'leeze.
[8D]
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

Return to Off Topic