Hide Tanning, Whats Involved?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
shadow

Hide Tanning, Whats Involved?

Postby shadow » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:44 am

I'm interested in tanning a deer hide or two.
After skinning the deer what will my next step be in the process? I have not yet researched any of this on the internet but thought I would put up this post first, maybe someone has a good site to visit or can give me some info on this.
It seems that I probably would need to remove any flesh and fat from the skin and then what, stapling to a piece of wood and salt?
And how long of a process is it and after its done I would like the finished product to be soft, and can it be used as a blanket?
I don't want it to be something thats stiff and that can only can be hung on a wall or something, is bblanket like softness something that is obtainable?
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

ranwin33

RE: Hide Tanning, Whats Involved?

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:08 am

It's a lot of work, and the more patient and persistant you are the better your hide will turn out.

My brother and I each tanned a hide a few years ago using the kit we got from Cabelas.  His turned out much better than mine, which tells you a little bit about both of us.  And it takes a lot longer than 36 hours.

Order the kit and follow the instruction.  As I said, it's a lot of work, it takes a bit of time, it can be messy, and make sure you have plenty of room you can dedicate to the process.  In addition to the kit you'll need lots of non-iodized salt.

To get the blanket like softness you'll have to do a lot of breaking of the hide - this is where my brother did a much better job than me.

Here is a link with some additional information.  http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2046/ANSI-3998web.pdf
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:01 pm

Thanks ranwin, that's a very informative site. All the info I need is right there! I'll be looking into the kits as well. It does seem like alot of work and time involved in doing it but I am willing to give it my best.

All I need now is a deer hide, I didn't even think of tanning with the two I skinned and butchered this season, or even with the two my buddies got in VT. two weeks ago either. Oh well,  I'll be heading out again with my bow this week and we'll see what happens.
Thanks again.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

berudd

Postby berudd » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:43 pm

I saw a show on the Discovery Channel, or something like that, where they processed hides in human urine. In one case thay actually stood in vats of the stuff and stomped up and down on it in the bare feet. No kidding!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:59 pm

great topic!
I've always wondered and wanted to do it myself
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:11 pm

ORIGINAL: berudd

I saw a show on the Discovery Channel, or something like that, where they processed hides in human urine. In one case thay actually stood in vats of the stuff and stomped up and down on it in the bare feet. No kidding!

ORIGINAL: Sailfish

great topic!
I've always wondered and wanted to do it myself

What? Dance around in a vat of urine?  Image [:D]
Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:35 am

Ok...urine?
Am I gonna need to start collecting that now? Well, at least its free.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:50 am

I'm not going to do it myself this time around, but will be bringing mine in this year.  What does it cost on average?  I got a quote for $60.  ...and how soft is it?  Guess I've never seen a deer hide that was tanned before in the flesh.
QDM!

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:20 am

I'm not going to do it myself this time around, but will be bringing mine in this year. What does it cost on average? I got a quote for $60. ...and how soft is it? Guess I've never seen a deer hide that was tanned before in the flesh

I've had a couple of them tanned.  With fur on....not into a leather product.  The first one cost me about $60 and about 9 months to get it back. I'm not even positive that the same hide came back. Big snafu with the taxidermist but that's a long story and I won't bore you.  The second one I gave as a gift to my wife's Uncle for letting us hunt his property.  This taxi was great and very fast.  Got the hide back within 4 months.  Cost was about $75 if I recall.  Was very happy with the results. The most recent one was the hide from one of my sons first deer (the first time he got a deer, he shot two). I took it to a third taxi.  This time it cost about $90 and took him well over a year to get it back.  Suffice to say I will use the previous guy from now on.

As for the softness.  Yes each one of these hides came back soft.  However, I'd probably not use it as a blanket.  It is just rough enough and stiff enough to put it outside of the comfort zone of a blanket.  

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:14 am

$60 would be a good price - every place I've priced here in Missouri shoots me a $100 price. 

It would be money well spent to have it done right and save a lot of work.  Unless you've got the time and just want the experience of giving it a try.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Next

Return to Off Topic