MN DNR Busy

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
bobow

MN DNR Busy

Postby bobow » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:30 pm

http://tinyurl.com/7qp7jtn

It appears some hunters in MN have been naughty. Coal in their stockings - if they can afford the stockings.

One interesting point was made how confiscated firearms may have be passed down through generations are lost forever.

I suppose some of the violations could have been those that really needed the meat.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Woods Walker

Re: MN DNR Busy

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:08 pm

Well....maybe they needed to think about grandpa's family heirloom BEFORE they decided to break the law.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:18 pm

Might be a good thing for DNR to resell those Hierlooms rather than destroy them.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:40 am

Woods Walker wrote:Well....maybe they needed to think about grandpa's family heirloom BEFORE they decided to break the law.

I understand what you are saying & I am not disagreeing. I knew the area fairly well back in the day when I used to go up there annually in the Ely area. Made some great friends that have lasted through the years.

The economy depends on tourism for the most part. The area seemed to be poor for the most part. I am just curious as to what most would do if it came down to the need to feed the family?

I'm just sayin' is all. I am not trying to make excuses.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:41 am

Tough call, if i knew how to be a provider without help from others i think it is wired deep into someone to not ask and do the best you can on your own legal or not. not just for ego reasons but lets face it a lot of times some people will never let you forget that time you needed their help. I`m afraid I won`t be the guy looking for the big soapbox as long as it`s not wasted. I know that sounds a bit like a anarchist view but Ben Franklin said it best, it is hard for an empty sack to stand upright.

now the Kids that got busted here this year out shooting every deer and other animals they could find with a high power just for the thrill ought to be given hard labor for a long time.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:26 am

Well by that reasoning, then the same needy person should be OK stealing from a grocery store you own then too. It's the same logic. If you need something that's not exclusively yours then you simply take it.

And here's another question then. If a family is needy, and is needy enough that they have to steal a deer to survive, then would it be OK if that same person shoots a trophy buck so that he can sell it to some antler addict for 10K so that he can feed his family for a year rather than a month? That'd be a heck of a lot more efficient AND smarter. If you're going to steal, then steal big...right?

And would the same "pass" apply for people that don't live in the area? What if there are needy people that live in an urban area that come and poach deer because they are on tough times?

Then there's the pride part, which I don't understand. If you're too proud to take a handout or to ask for help, then you should also be too proud to steal, because stealing is exactly what it is.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Not sure how you justify being a thief. Bottom line.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:23 pm

I passed years in MIchigan, people in need or people knowing people in need would ask the local C.O. for deer that were either road kills or deer confiscated due to violations. I would think that would work in these days, and other states.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:52 am

Wow the guy shoots a deer to help suppliment for his family during hard times, and know he's a possible grocery store robber? More deer are killed by cars then by hungry people trying to feed themselves. Maybe we should ticket those that pile deer up on the side of the road for not paying better attention to their surrounding while driving because its causeing my insurance rates to go up. Not to mention medicare! or wait collecting unemployment for those thatcan't get off their duffs. Thats stealing!

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:49 am

Well,,, This wasn`t expected and completely unintended. I think WW you are "jumping the shark" on what I said. I was commenting about TRULY NEEDY not GREEDY OR LAZY
they get caught and unfortunately the punishment does not fit the crime 90% of the time PLUS the true victim is hardly ever paid a fair restitution IMO which is B.S.

BUT if you wanna jump sharks, that deer is the biggest thief of all! Because you have no idea how many farmers it has stolen from to keep itself alive.Is a farmer just supposed to take it? even after he has exhausted the so called "proper channels" but does`nt want deer on HIS land period? It is HIS. bought and paid for by countless hours away from his family, friends, and other dreams he has. if he could prevent HIS crops from damage and possibly put more bullion in the bin to reach his goals sooner with less wear tear and stress on his body how do you call him a criminal? and if you do`nt think it happens your wrong because in the 4 short years hunting i have heard those stories of farmers who want all deer dead! shoot every one you see if you do`nt want one of them leave it lay it`ll make more coyotes! Do i hunt there? NO! has every DNR officer heard those stories? YES! has anything been done to those farmers? NO! so if you think the NEEDY person killing one deer is your biggest problem your wrong. AND YES stealing is wrong and i was`nt trying to imply that i condone all forms of it. A truly needy person is the best conservationist there is IMO.

Next

Return to Off Topic