knife sharpening, how to?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
kellory

Re: knife sharpening, how to?

Postby kellory » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:01 pm

I just got off the phone with my barber (yes, a real, honest to God barber, not a chain, and I asked him about where to get a strope, what was best to use, surface texture, what I should exspect to pay, that type of thing. He said take mine, as I haven't used it in 15 years!. Straight rasors are bad form now, and he can get a closer shave with safety rasors. He said he will dig it out for my next visit. :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:19 pm

See if he's got two of them!!!!! Seriously!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Woods Walker wrote:See if he's got two of them!!!!! Seriously!!!

I think I just started a run on barber shops! Woodsie, I have never seen you without your Guilli-suit, if you have any hair left, ask your barber, that is if Obama has left you any hair... ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:34 pm

that is if Obama has left you any hair..

HEY HEY HEY !

I resemble that remark!
best hair horse shoe you have ever seen! seriously! LOL!

Still trying to perfect the shallow angles i have 2 of the same knives one i went with a 22* angle 15* on the other.

not even close to what i want yet on the 15*.

the 22* is my best work yet.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Oh it takes a while! But keep at it. I start by laying the knife blade completely flat on the stone, and then I raise the back edge of the blade up slightly. That puts me at about a 15 degree angle. With a guide it should make it a lot easier. I had to learn without the guide, because we didn't have them yet then.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:14 pm

You can also "strop" a sharp blade on a soft piece of wood (like a pine/fir 2X4). This has a lot of the same affect, and many times that can be the final step that makes a fairly sharp blade into one that is shaving sharp.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:26 pm

I am suprised no one has mentioned a buffing wheel. There is a guy out in California I knew, who would sharpen then buff, and you could cut a stray though off with one of those knives. Esetially, it would be a high speed strope. This guy gets paid to polish dragster parts and racing equiptment. Croming and polishing, but his knives were wicked sharp.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:51 am

I take my knives to a buddy who uses paper wheels on a bench grinder and jewlers polish to buff em.

Sharpest I've ever seen.

Years ago there was a guy that set up at all the gun shows in the area and would sharpen knives with this same set up.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:40 pm

I use ''smiths'' precision sharpening kit.....comes with the 3 stones ...i usually only need 2 of them ..plenty of oil ..and exact strokes per side...i usually do 10 per side ...flip 10per side...check 10per side ..and repeat...then use the fine stone when i have nothing to do..and take my time honing the fine ark stone...i use the 20~ slot for fillet knife and 25~ slot for hunting/skinning knife...

had it for yrs and have had buddies borrow and return ...def. worthwhile investment ....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:09 am

"..plenty of oil .."

YES, YES, YES!!! It's impossible to use too much oil! I watch for it on sale and stock up when I can. My 4 stone set has an oil tray that sits underneath the stones so that the bottom stone is always submerged in oil. Messy? Yes.....but that's the whole point!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic