Old Friend.. New Hunter?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
shadow

Old Friend.. New Hunter?

Postby shadow » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:37 pm

I've got this friend i've known since the mid 80's that's been asking to get a permit from me. We have gone hunting and to 3-d's in the past but nothing since around 1994.  When I hunted with him in the past I swore to myself I would never hunt with him again. Back then, for him this is what I remember as well as what I wrote in my hunters journal..  he had never made any attempt at scent control,  he wore sneakers hunting many times, I heard him from 200 yards away set up his climber and climb the tree, and then according to him he would then only stay in the tree for around 2 hours then get down and just  "walk around" until I was ready to leave.

Now that he's older he says he wants to get back to hunting just so he can kill 1 deer in his life. 
I feel that giving him a permit for my land may really screw things up for me. I mentioned to him that I really go all out with my scent control and wearing of rubber boots, his response was pretty close to.. the deer around here are used to people so they won't get scared of by me. 
He also took down from the attic of his garage his old 2 wheel bow and arrows from the late 80's. Not that the old stuff won't kill a deer but holy cow, he didn't take care of any of his stuff and it looks as though its just a pile of scrap. He also will not invest in anything new, nor does he ever practice even though I offer to shoot with him.

Now he's a great guy that helps whenever I may need a hand with something... and I ask, but i'm very leery about giving up a permit to hunt my land to someone I know has not changed his old ways. Not only that, but he knows how much work I do out there.. recently a small food plot, but I rented a tiller as well as buying seed, lime, and fertilizer as well as all the money I dump on feeder corn, salt, and minerals and everything else that goes along with it, stands, blinds, cutting of trails...you know the list goes on and he never has offered anything. Money or help. Help would be good at times.

I kinda avoid the whole permit on my land conversation when he asks, which lately has been every couple of weeks but I turn the conversation to "we gotta go out on the (local public land) property."
So I feel this the right thing to do.  Go out on public land together where if he ruins my hunt it won't be as bad as it being on my land?  Thats what I'm leaning towards doing. Thanks for letting me vent. 
You'd probably do the same right? 

With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

nhdeerchaser

RE: Old Friend.. New Hunter?

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:56 pm

If he won't respect how you hunt, or get out there and help you work the land, I would do the same as you. I don't blame you at all! It really doesn't sound like he really cares about hunting, and all that goes into it, and just killing a deer isn't a good enough reason to let him screw up all you have worked hard to achieve.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:57 pm

If he also should ask why i'm avoiding giving him a permission slip how can I go about telling him that with everything I've done for my property that I wouldn't want anyone to mess it up by being sloppy? Is there a nice way to explain that?

The guy is asking to hunt and I just feel bad about avoiding the issue even though he knows I go out once or twice a week.

With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:34 pm

That's a tough one. I would just be honest and say I have worked very hard to get my property to where it is and I'm more dilligent in my scent control.
Now, if he truly has changed, and is willing to use good scent control and better woodsmanship and can stay up in his stand longer, then you have to decide if you want him out there. If it were me, I wouldn't. A real friend would've been there helping with the hard stuff, not just reaping the rewards with no work. My brother is kinda like that. Me and my buddy work on our stands, then opening day of muzzleloader he just wants him and his friend to find one of our stands to sit in. Problem is, it's public land so there really isn't anything I can do about it except put them in the only stand we're not using.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

eagle eye

Postby eagle eye » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:25 am

First of all your concerns are valid. My initial thoughts the comment that he just want to "kill his first deer" as opposed to the experience. I have three sons and a number of friends that are all very aware of the passion I have for nature and all of its components. My sons have been tought woodsmanship from before they could walk as for my friends, I am willing to work with anyone on their skills and learn to hunt, but where we may hunt is another subject. I do respect the land, the plants and the animals and hunting is a privelege that i do not take for granted. Harvesting an animal is the byproduct of all of the hard work, woodsmanship skills and knowledge that I put to use every time i am in the woods.

It is your property and your choice whom you give permission to so i will not say what you should and shouldn't do. I make but one small suggestion that if you are not sure you can always have great experiences on public land  and build a hunting relationship from there as opposed to a resentment for screwing up your land because of a percieved obligation

enjoy yourself and pass down what you can.
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:01 pm

The only people I let hunt on my land are people I trust who have similiar hunting practices, beliefs and expectations as myself. They've also been there most of the time when work needs to be done. Even though I own the land it has become "our" hunting land and involves a team effort.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:10 am

My brother-in-law sounds very much like your friend.  Fortunately he lives in California now so I don't have to deal with the problem too often.

What I did with him was arrange to take him during the last week of doe season.  At that point I'd done all my serious hunting, so if he screwed things up I could live with it.  And since we had a date set he wasn't constantly asking me about it.

You can always just say no.  Explain to him why and leave it at that.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:46 am

As DoeEyed says when work needs to be done you need to be on the same page when it comes to your hunting practices as well as being there when help is needed. Something that was avoided by this guy even when I have told him things I was to do and needed to be done or bought.
Ranwin.. you have a great point as far as not avoiding him all together on the subject of going out there but arranging a certain date when he can. I believe if he does continue to ask I will tell him first that we should go together on a local public land hunt, I can than see how things are and go with it and he'll get his time out there hunting and then if he still continues to ask about my place I'll tell him that he can indeed hunt there mid to late December when I'm usually through. If you wants to hunt earlier than that on my place I will just tell him...no.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:13 pm

It will be interesting to see if he shows up if you set a date to actually go. With some people it's all about the asking and less about the doing.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:31 am

ORIGINAL: shadow

I've got this friend i've known since the mid 80's that's been asking to get a permit from me. We have gone hunting and to 3-d's in the past but nothing since around 1994.  When I hunted with him in the past I swore to myself I would never hunt with him again. Back then, for him this is what I remember as well as what I wrote in my hunters journal..  he had never made any attempt at scent control,  he wore sneakers hunting many times, I heard him from 200 yards away set up his climber and climb the tree, and then according to him he would then only stay in the tree for around 2 hours then get down and just  "walk around" until I was ready to leave.

Now that he's older he says he wants to get back to hunting just so he can kill 1 deer in his life. 
I feel that giving him a permit for my land may really screw things up for me. I mentioned to him that I really go all out with my scent control and wearing of rubber boots, his response was pretty close to.. the deer around here are used to people so they won't get scared of by me. 
He also took down from the attic of his garage his old 2 wheel bow and arrows from the late 80's. Not that the old stuff won't kill a deer but holy cow, he didn't take care of any of his stuff and it looks as though its just a pile of scrap. He also will not invest in anything new, nor does he ever practice even though I offer to shoot with him.

Now he's a great guy that helps whenever I may need a hand with something... and I ask, but i'm very leery about giving up a permit to hunt my land to someone I know has not changed his old ways. Not only that, but he knows how much work I do out there.. recently a small food plot, but I rented a tiller as well as buying seed, lime, and fertilizer as well as all the money I dump on feeder corn, salt, and minerals and everything else that goes along with it, stands, blinds, cutting of trails...you know the list goes on and he never has offered anything. Money or help. Help would be good at times.

I kinda avoid the whole permit on my land conversation when he asks, which lately has been every couple of weeks but I turn the conversation to "we gotta go out on the (local public land) property."
So I feel this the right thing to do.  Go out on public land together where if he ruins my hunt it won't be as bad as it being on my land?  Thats what I'm leaning towards doing. Thanks for letting me vent. 
You'd probably do the same right? 

Question asked ... question answered!
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

Next

Return to Off Topic