Heated Blinds

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
shadow

Heated Blinds

Postby shadow » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:12 pm

I have never used a portable propane heater in a blind before. These propane units seem to be ideal for keeping yourself and others warm while hunting from a blind on a cold miserable day.

From what I can tell while the unit is running there is no odor that a deer can detect right? I just want to be sure of that before I start one up and scare any deer away from me and the blind.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

Sailfish

RE: Heated Blinds

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:24 am

Isn't thermacell a small propane cartridge?**
They say the scent of that burning doesn't bother them, so I wouldn't see why your heater would either.
However your sleeves, pantlegs or jacket burning??? Different story

Are there windows and doors on your blind?
I can assure you lighting that up at 5 am your gonna think you have spooked every deer in a 5 mile radius LOL
Boy they seem loud.

I have used them, rarely anymore however. I got a decent pair of boots and pretty much don't get cold.

**(had to edit, Thermacell is butane, oops)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:33 am

Just get it in the scent-loc version....PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:02 am

I've used a small propane heater last year and plan to do so again this year if it gets real cold.  While I can smell a little propane and the heater makes a hissing sound, it hasn't seemed to bother deer - the smell or the sound.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Yeah, I think that the BANG and then the smell of the cordite fumes would bother them more.....[:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:15 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Yeah, I think that the BANG and then the smell of the cordite fumes would bother them more.....[:D]

I second WW. All set with blowing up. I use hand and foot warmers when it gets cold.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

HuntenFF

Postby HuntenFF » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:51 pm

Hi, I have a freind that uses heaters regularly in his nlind, Especially for his 80 yr old father who still sits all day! The one that is best recommended is the little buddy made by Mr. Heater. It has a censor that if it detects carbonmonoxide it automatically shuts down, also in the sensor if it gets tipped to far in one direction it also shuts down. It also has a heat control to adjust so you dont get cooked out. I have used this in my ice shanty and camper and they work great and are extremly safe! Also are totally silent after lighting! Hope this helps!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:50 am

Take an inexpensive sleeping bag.....cut and sew arm holes in it....put big buttons and button holes in the top....Get into the blind.....step in.... zip and button up....stay warm and cheaper than one of those heater suits and less fuss that with a propane heater [;)]

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:37 am

Well I sat in a blind today with one of 2 like new Mr. Heater units I bought this past summer at a tag sale for a total of 8.00... these things cost 100 bucks new.
Anyway I had been in the propane business for 10 years so as far as any safety issue or concern of blowing up there is none, (I have been involved though with houses that have blown up, totally gone with just one 100 lb cylinder, 24 gallons of propane..not pretty).  I hooked each one up to larger propane tanks, one with a 20 lb grill tank that I hope will last all season and another with a 10 lb propane tank which can easily be refilled but lasts 10x longer than the 1-lb cylinders you buy...and much cheaper.

As far as I can see it didn't bother the 2 does that walked by my blind at 15 feet either.
There is no noise that I heard nor was there any smell, and you don't need to bundle up either, I have a piece of rug to insulate my feet on the ground as well as those shoe insert heaters now sold and I was toasty.

I just wish I can somehow mount one of these in my stand. Ms B, you have a good idea using the sleeping bag, that would be excellent for a treestand without spending 200 dollars or more for one of those heater suits.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Some great advice here....I have never used one for hunting, but use them for ice fishing.  I would almost think that sound would negatively impact your sightings, but from what you all have said, maybe not?

Those heater body suits are very nice....Wish they would come down in price.  I checked their website and they are about $350.00.  [:'(]
QDM!

Next

Return to Off Topic