Heated Blinds

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Vikinghater

RE: Heated Blinds

Postby Vikinghater » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:28 pm

When I was younger and hunted with my dad and a couple older guys my dad knew, These old guys when it got cold enough, would light small fires to keep the chill off!  These two old timers always shot their buck also .  I have witnessed deer walking up to the one guys stump investigating a small campfire

shadow

Postby shadow » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:04 pm

Yeah, a friend of mine shot a deer in Pa., after he lit a small fire to get warm. The deer investigated what was going on and....he put some deer meat in the freezer.
As far as the sound of the heater, I know there are many different types of portable propane heaters. The style I know that makes the most noise I believe....is the type that mounts right on the gas grill tank... its an infrared type, high BTU output. No noise from the two I have. 
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:09 pm

shadow: I have never used a portable propane heater in a blind before. These propane units seem to be ideal for keeping yourself and others warm while hunting from a blind on a cold miserable day.

From what I can tell while the unit is running there is no odor that a deer can detect right? I just want to be sure of that before I start one up and scare any deer away from me and the blind.

Electric heat is best.[:)] No noise & no fumes for the deer to detect, or, for you to be breathing all day long. We love it in our small ground blind.

Still, I haven't seen a deer yet since we've been using the heater. Could be that electric generator is making too much noise ...[8D]

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:28 pm

yeah I attempted to go the same route and use electric heaters, but I was unable to find enough extension cords that reached the 7 or 8 miles to my house.
As far as propane fumes... there is none, these are usually vent free units.
Picture this.. totally enclosed lake ice fishing shanty's, no open windows, totally enclosed, those guys don't keel over. In a blind, I at least have a few windows completely open, so there is usually alot of air flow.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:40 pm

shadow: yeah I attempted to go the same route and use electric heaters, but I was unable to find enough extension cords that reached the 7 or 8 miles to my house. As far as propane fumes... there is none, these are usually vent free units.

No, the fumes comment was a joke. We have a Vent Free going in our garage from November to April running continuously and there is never the slightest odor whatsoever. One of the best things I ever bought. [sm=rolleyes.gif]

shadow

Postby shadow » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:19 pm

[:)]I knew you were joking, mighty...especially since you mentioned you use a noisy generator to power your blind heater. I wouldn't think anyone would use a noisy generator to power up an electric heater without at least a half mile of extension cords.
And as far as getting 7 or 8 miles worth of extension cords that too was a joke.  In reality I am able to get all the extension cords I need, but i would need to obtain a permit from the state to cross a major highway... or trench under it and I don't think its worth the hassle, so I'll stick with the propane heaters. [:D]

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:04 am

shadow: I wouldn't think anyone would use a noisy generator to power up an electric heater without at least a half mile of extension cords.

You wouldn't think so ... but I didn't.[8D]  But, that made me think ... my blind is only about 100 yds (or less) from the farm house ... now I don't know if I'm losing my mind or not, but, how much would 300 ft of extension cord actually cost?[/align] [/align]I mean, those 20lb propane cylinders are expensive to fill every day & real heavy to lug around. Maybe an electric heater isn't really out of the question![/align] [/align]I'm really going to have to do a cost feasibility study on this. It may not be as crazy as it sounds.  BTW: Do they do much ice fishing in Connecticut?[/align]

shadow

Postby shadow » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:23 pm

Only 100 yards from your farm house to the blind? If it were me and the blind was permanent or at least in the same general spot every season I think I would also look into an electric heater and a long extension cord or two. Like you said..it does makes more sense than purchasing and lugging in 20 lb cylindersall the time.
As far as the ice fishing here, I haven't fished on the ice since my late teens, early 20's..about 20 or so years ago but then it was pretty good. And I believe many people still go out... Many good lakes with trout, northern pike, panfish. It was a real good time!

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:53 pm

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

shadow: yeah I attempted to go the same route and use electric heaters, but I was unable to find enough extension cords that reached the 7 or 8 miles to my house. As far as propane fumes... there is none, these are usually vent free units.

No, the fumes comment was a joke. We have a Vent Free going in our garage from November to April running continuously and there is never the slightest odor whatsoever. One of the best things I ever bought. [sm=rolleyes.gif]

The jury isn't in yet as far as I'm concerned. Just started using a vent-free in the blind last year. Nothing I liked came close to the blind, but that could be for several reasons. One old timer on the adjacent property told us the deer can see the heat coming from the blind & that spooks them. Don't know yet whether that's true or not.
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

CGBear

Postby CGBear » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:11 am

You would need a pretty heavy cord to run a heater at 300 ft. But, it wouldn't be that expensive. It usually says right on the heater not to use an extension, but I have. It's worth trying. If it doesn't work you could always return the cords for a refund.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic