ATV's Recommendations

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
gatodoc

ATV's Recommendations

Postby gatodoc » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:25 pm

I'm interested in getting a 4 wheeler.......

I'm leaning toward a honda forman because of availability and apparent reliability....Not interested in playing, just hunting....

Thoughts?

gatodoc

Re: ATV's Recommendations

Postby gatodoc » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. I bought a Honda Foreman. The dealers all wanted to compare speed, performance etc. All I wanted was a means to get a deer out of the woods from places my dead ass couldn't drag it. I only intend to use it for accessing areas too steep and far for me to walk to in an hour or less and since I usually hunt alone in warm weather I always fear a situation where I have to leave one to get some help to get it out. So far I've been fortunate enough to get em out easily and now that's less of a concern.

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Congratulations on your new ATV. Personally, I think you have made an excellent choice. Honda makes several great ATV's. I have a Rancher (350 full-time 4 wheel drive) and use it primarily for hunting. Bought it new about 5 years ago and have loved it since. Change the oil regularly and do basic maintenance and those things will virtually run forever. At my age, I appreciate the ease of using my ATV to get my deer out and it is also handy for getting me far back into the woods. As with many places, in West Virginia, where I hunt, ATV's are not permitted on public land but since we hunt our own lease, that hasn't been a problem. Again, congrats......hope you get years of excellent service from it.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Did you purchase it new? Were they willing to deal with you?

I've been in the market for one myself and didn't know how much they'd deal compared to the MSRP.

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:04 pm

Checked a bunch of used ones on E-Bay....some good buys too far to pick up and/or visualize...The darned things seemed to hold their value pretty well..Wound up buying new...Picked the options I wanted and went to 3 different dealers and got their out the door price...All lower than MSRP. One dealer was lower on retail price but higher on Dealer Prep and was higher on OTD figure...

Went with the lowest price, drove down and handed them a check and loaded it. Now I'm looking for someplace to get riding tips locally.

I know the kids just get on them and go, But I've already broken my share of bones and done "stupid" too many times. I'm riding it around the yard and through some thin woods getting used to it. Some of my employees have 4 wheelers and "Razors" and they want me to go "trail riding" with them where they find out how steep a rock they can climb or how deep a creek they can cross. Winches are usually involved. I politely decline and try to explain that I bought a tool, not a toy....Yeah, I'm just an old fart I guess.... :P

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Make that WISE old fart.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:01 pm

gatodoc wrote:Checked a bunch of used ones on E-Bay....some good buys too far to pick up and/or visualize...The darned things seemed to hold their value pretty well

Apparently so.

I've been looking at a used one to leave on the property. Something functional, just to mess around with, leave in a shed and not worry if its banged up etc, just working.
KRIKEY's i've seen 1997 Foreman for $5000.00!!!
I can't even begin to tell you what I have seen in the $2k range.

Oh my, apparently they do hold thier value

Offhand, whats a new Foreman stripped run these days in 2012?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Sailfish wrote:
gatodoc wrote:Checked a bunch of used ones on E-Bay....some good buys too far to pick up and/or visualize...The darned things seemed to hold their value pretty well

Apparently so.

I've been looking at a used one to leave on the property. Something functional, just to mess around with, leave in a shed and not worry if its banged up etc, just working.
KRIKEY's i've seen 1997 Foreman for $5000.00!!!
I can't even begin to tell you what I have seen in the $2k range.

Oh my, apparently they do hold thier value

Offhand, whats a new Foreman stripped run these days in 2012?

I found some new ones plain jane in the 5500.00 range... the 500 cc with eps in camo pattern for about 7000 tax title and all....

Return to Off Topic